Gs2 - issue with JellyBean Update

Nickifry

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Please can someone stop me from tearing my hair out and throwing my phone out the window!!!

My Gs2 did the software update to Jelly Bean this morning.....I tried to put all my widgets back and phone froze and now all I keep getting in the error message "Touchwiz home has stopped working"!!! I can't clear this screen or get to my settings to change the easy for basic screens (as suggested in other threads). I've even tried going into the BIOS and clearing the cache / removing the battery - doesn't work!!!! I go into task manager and there is nothing to kill. The phone / contacts / sms buttons don't even work.

I essentially have a dead phone.................please can someone help???

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey, man, I have same problem - phone died with same looping "TouchWiz home" failure message right after I added S Planner widget to my home screen. Same story - dead phone, can only answer a call - nothing more. Does anyone have solution to fix this?

Thanks, I almost crashed that ******* phone :) it is so ghhrrrrr, please help...

Steve Daly

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here too. I was able to access my settings by dragging down the top of the screen and setting it on Easy mode in the Home Screen mode under Device, but I want my ******* phone back Samsung. Any solutions? Please use simple language, My head hurts from too much jargon :)

adam0

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as how no one has replied to this with any useful info, I'll take a stab. I have the same phone as you guys, and am with Rogers. I read something a while back about certain versions of our phones being "at risk" to flashing (updating). I read about this on xda developers. It's called a "brick bug" and I'm not sure if that's the problem with your phones or not...I think "bricking" your phone, by definition, is when you literally cannot use it, boot into any rom or recover menu, etc.

Anyway, food for thought because if that's the case, that means it's Samsung's / Rogers responsibility to replace your phone with a new one...hopefully! Just don't let them try to tell you that you made a mistake during the upgrade and hopefully they'll cover it. Even if that's NOT the case, I'd give that a shot anyway.

At the very least, maybe I'll bump this thread and someone smarter than I can help? :confused:

Ribs85

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't have this phone, but might be able to help. No rooting, no flashing. Give it a go...

It seems that the homescreen launcher is crashing. You need to get into the settings to reset the launcher's app settings. This will *probably* fix the problem. However from what I understand you cannot even get that far. So the solution is to install another homescreen launcher to temporarily use.

Go here on your computer:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&token=9e_-_0mg
This is the play store entry for nova launcher.

You may need to sign in, but it should give an option for installing to your phone. So do that.

Give it a good 5 minutes to install. Help the phone out by having it near your router :) your phone will need working Internet for this to work.

Then fire up your phone. Press the home button. If this has worked, you'll see a choice of homescreen launcher. Choose nova with 'just once' option.

Things will look different, but don't panic.

Go to the app drawer. Goto settings, apps, find the the touchwiz launcher (I'm sorry, you're on your own here, as I don't know what it's called) tap it's entry, hit clear data, and confirm.

Now press the home button again, and choose the touchwiz launcher. Use 'just once' again until you're happy it won't screw up again.

Uninstall nova when you're done.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Groenborg