[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Montclair

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, Cyber Warrior and a suggestion

Add me as a success story from the guide. Thanks a lot!!

I'm a success, too. Awesome. :D

As soon as I plugged the phone into the PC, it gave me an error, so I knew I had driver issues. I checked Device Manager and there was a yellow triangle/exclamation mark next to Android 1.0. I discovered that the USB driver needed to be updated. Once I did that everything went as shown. There was one moment of uncertainty - at the end of the rooting process, with the google logo and unlock icon screen, I was still plugged in and pushed the power button for a few seconds ... nothing happened ... I did it again ... and a few seconds later, the kaleidoscopic bootup animation started and I was ready to go.

1 suggestion for Cyber Warrior ... Include "what to do" instructions and screen shots when the "Android 1.0" error happens.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thank you, Cyber Warrior and a suggestion

1 suggestion for Cyber Warrior ... Include "what to do" instructions and screen shots when the "Android 1.0" error happens.
It's already done... there's a troubleshooting section at the end of the guide for driver errors... includes screenshots.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Sooooo....What is a ROM?

Literally it means, read only memory. It's basically reinstalling a new OS which is based on components of a core android operating system like Ice Cream Sandwich.

Basically when flashing a rom, your switching out one operating system for another. Roms can vary from primarily decorative changes with some technical functional changes to minimal decorative changes and major functional changes.

Examples being improved battery life, faster operating system, new applications integrated into the main frame of the OS, mimic non android applications, delete bloatware, etc.

Basically google creates a new and/or improved android OS every year. They publish the blue print so that developers can create their own version which results in new roms, kernels, and applications.

I'm not a true techie because I don't create so I'm putting it in layman's' terms based on my understanding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

luckyrice21

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Hello Warrior, I have a problem. I thouth everything was flashed right and unlocked, rooted etc. but when I installed ROM Manager and then reboot into recovery after I've backup to test my restore it automatically go to an EXCLAMATION MARK TRIANGLE over the android open up bot. Please advise? Thank you! I'm trying to flash back to stock and redo this process. Any help would be appreciated.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Hello Warrior, I have a problem. I thouth everything was flashed right and unlocked, rooted etc. but when I installed ROM Manager and then reboot into recovery after I've backup to test my restore it automatically go to an EXCLAMATION MARK TRIANGLE over the android open up bot. Please advise? Thank you! I'm trying to flash back to stock and redo this process. Any help would be appreciated.

The stock recovery is overwriting ClockworkMod Recovery when the phone is rebooting.
Follow these steps to fix it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-install-roms-galaxy-nexus-2.html#post1499779

PheenX

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

I feel really stupid for asking this but I'll do it anyway. When I go to unlock the bootloader I get the "waiting for device" message. I followed Cyber Warrior's troubleshooting guide but there is no "SAMSUNG Android Phone" listed. Apparently I'm installing the usb drivers wrong. How should I be installing them?

chevyguy8893

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

I feel really stupid for asking this but I'll do it anyway. When I go to unlock the bootloader I get the "waiting for device" message. I followed Cyber Warrior's troubleshooting guide but there is no "SAMSUNG Android Phone" listed. Apparently I'm installing the usb drivers wrong. How should I be installing them?

I had the same issue earlier and followed the following quote to instal the USB drivers that were downloaded. After I did it I restarted the process in command prompt and it all worked flawlessly.

BringTheRain403 said:
download the drivers, then click on the start menu, then right click on my computer, then click on manage from the drop down list, then in the window that pops up on the left hand side click on device manager. look for something that has a yellow "!" by it and right click on it and go to properties. then in 1 of those tabs (I believe it's the first 1) click on update driver. then click browse my computer for driver software. then click "browse" and find the folder where is the drivers are located and click next. you'll probably get a message saying that windows cannot determine the source the driver you sure that you want to install it and you'll want to click yes. directions just be following prompts. that's what works for me hope this helps.

On another note, thank you OP for such a great write-up. I am happy just to have adblock on my phone, but debating whether or not to wait for another updated ROM to replace the stock ROM,

Reactions: PheenX

jackdw

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I asked this question the other day but received no response.

All guides for unrooting that I've found assume you've used the manual method of rooting. Is there an easy way to unroot after using Superboot, or would I have to set up the SDK and use all of the manual commands? Thank you.

PheenX

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

@chevyguy8893 Yeah I tried that earlier but I went ahead and tried it again. When I did I realized that I had accidently chosen the wrong "usb drivers" folder from when I was rooting my Nook Color. Now that I chose the right folder it worked with no problem.

scodoublet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site

I probably didn't read enough about unlocking and rooting before doing it but I did not know that it would literally erase EVERYTHING on the phone. All of the contents. All pictures, ringtones, everything that would normally be on the SD card. Maybe this should be added in huge bold letters somewhere at the beginning of the original post?

Anyway, BACKUP EVERYTHING ON YOUR PHONE before doing this.

It does work and I didn't lose to much important stuff though.

chenalex

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

So I'm on step 15 where it has the google image after i installed the superboot (which is what I'm assumign I did, not quite familiar with the terminology.) WIll the phone power up from this image and all i have to do is wait, or do i have to press the power button or somethign to get it working?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

So I'm on step 15 where it has the google image after i installed the superboot (which is what I'm assumign I did, not quite familiar with the terminology.) WIll the phone power up from this image and all i have to do is wait, or do i have to press the power button or somethign to get it working?

It should power itself back on by itself.... if not try pulling the USB cable out. If it still doesn't boot up after about 10-15 minutes then pull the battery out and power back on... make sure you wait... do not pull the battery under anything less than 10 minutes.

Montclair

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It should power itself back on by itself.... if not try pulling the USB cable out. If it still doesn't boot up after about 10-15 minutes then pull the battery out and power back on... make sure you wait... do not pull the battery under anything less than 10 minutes.

The instructions say "you should now be able to power your phone back on." Shouldn't they be changed to match what you said above? BTW, the XDA instructions say that the phone will power itself back on.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Yea... I've been meaning to fix that... that's what happens when you're up until 5 in the morning putting together guides ;) ....fixing it now.

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site

This has been asked a couple of times in the thread, but I haven't seen an answer. I know unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone, but does rooting also wipe the phone? I unlocked the bootloader when I first got the phone, then I installed all my apps, etc. I would now like to root the phone, but I'd like to know if that will wipe my phone. Thanks.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

This has been asked a couple of times in the thread, but I haven't seen an answer. I know unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone, but does rooting also wipe the phone? I unlocked the bootloader when I first got the phone, then I installed all my apps, etc. I would now like to root the phone, but I'd like to know if that will wipe my phone. Thanks.

No.. only unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone... rooting just puts super user on the phone so you have root permissions.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I have no 3g/4g but i can still make calls? Is that normal and ideas with this, I know the network is not down cause the TB has service.

EDIT: TB has no data. Reading there is another 4G outage and some having trouble accessing 3G as well.

Last edited:

joeybcdt

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

I got to step 11. Then get "Waiting on Device".

I see this in the top download area: Download USB drivers: >> Download Here << (If Needed.. If you get <waiting for device> you might need the USB drivers)

What am I supposed to do with these USB drivers...there's no .exe. How to install?

spencettu

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site

When I extract the files for the superboot zip they are all dated 11/18. Is this correct? The pictures in the OP show 12/16.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777