[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

TrueKing84

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Tried your gtalk, but couldnt get it to work. After i done this can I just use rom manager to install their recovery.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

When I extract the files for the superboot zip they are all dated 11/18. Is this correct? The pictures in the OP show 12/16.

That's just the date I modified them... copied and pasted to the root folder. Once you do the same... it will show the date of whatever day it is that you moved them.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Strategerizer

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the detailed instructions; worked great. A few questions though...

#1.
How can I verify that my Nexus is now indeed locked? I thought the intro screen icon (the screen that shows up when you wake up the phone) will show the padlock open instead of closed... though after following the steps above I still see the locked padlock.

#2.
My Galaxy Nexus was over-the-air updated to 4.0.3 after activation. Now after unlock it shows 4.0.2... I clicked on "check for update" and did not find an update. Is this normal? Will my phone no longer get automatic updates?

Thanks!!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the detailed instructions; worked great. A few questions though...

#1.
How can I verify that my Nexus is now indeed locked? I thought the intro screen icon (the screen that shows up when you wake up the phone) will show the padlock open instead of closed... though after following the steps above I still see the locked padlock.

#2.
My Galaxy Nexus was over-the-air updated to 4.0.3 after activation. Now after unlock it shows 4.0.2... I clicked on "check for update" and did not find an update. Is this normal? Will my phone no longer get automatic updates?

Thanks!!

1... that's normal. That's the lock icon for the screen lock. If you reboot your phone... the Google screen should show the icon unlocked.

2... are you sure you had 4.0.3? I'm not 100% sure but I don't even think 4.0.3 has been released yet on Verizon. Also if you are stock rooted.. you should still receive OTA notifications from Verizon. Its not a good idea to install those on a rooted phone though. When Over The Air updates are released... the devs will put out a version for rooted users that you can flash. If you are rooted running a custom ROM... you will not receive OTAs. The custom ROMs will be updated with the new baseband. For example... I'm running the AXIOM ROM which is already using 4.0.3.

chicojd

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site

Followed the instructions and guess what? IT FREAKING WORKS! I'm now rooted, with SU and now it's time to decide on an overclock kernel and some custom ROM action. For now, I'm staying stock, although I may upgrade the radio to see if the signal improves. Anyone done this?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I already used Droid Life's method of unlocking the bootloader but ADB/ SDK stinks.
It can no longer see my phone.
Can I just use the superboot method listed here to root?
I HATE SDK!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

thanks but I guess here too I have to start at square one?
I can't just extract the superboot files into any directory and run it?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I guess if SU installed and I see it in my app list I am rooted?

well I tried removing VZ Backup and now I get to see lloyd's stomach again with a red triangle UGH!
A battery pull will get me back up and running, but is this typical?

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I guess if SU installed and I see it in my app list I am rooted?

well I tried removing VZ Backup and now I get to see lloyd's stomach again with a red triangle UGH!
A battery pull will get me back up and running, but is this typical?

Yea,,, if that's happening when trying to boot into recovery.. then follow this to fix it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-install-roms-galaxy-nexus-2.html#post1499779

Reactions: tony bag o donuts

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I don't think I have a recovery or do I?
I am so lost with rooting the nexus lol.

Well... that image with the exclamation and robot means.. you don't have recovery.

Follow that guide I linked for putting ClockworkMod Recovery on the phone. Its the first few steps and then follow the green info box (on page 2 ) I linked for making it stick after a reboot.

You said you ended up with that screen after removing a Verizon app... how exactly did that happen? Were you trying to boot into recovery?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

it says file system is read only....so I can't rename the file.

Okay... lol... you're all over the place. I'm assuming you're in Root Explorer... before you go to rename the file... on the top right hand of the apps screen is a grey box with an R/W inside of it. Change it to R/O... rename the file (long press the file name) ... and then change it back to R/W when you're done.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

thanks bud.
I was just not paying attention.
I bought root explorer, then renamed the file.
Finally installed rom manager and downloaded the recovery from clockwork.

I was supposed to go to sleep 4 hrs ago but since I can't I figured I would do this while doing laundry......and dishes.....wife better appreciate this!

utahg8r

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I just have a quick question, tried searching and couldn't find an answer. I unlocked and rooted my phone yesterday, it now does random reboots. Last night it was charging, and I noticed that it was running through the start up screen. It just did it again when I was searching the market. Any ideas? Thanks

jon-e-o

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

PLEASE HELP!!! am trying to root but my computer will not recognize the samsung drivers! i saw the yellow ! on the devise manager and tried to update but it will not install i am working on an HP win 7. i am so stuck! my phone is in fastboot mode and i will have to ermove the battery. i have tried everything including rebooting my computer. how do i get my computer to accept the driver?
thanks to any who can help!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Jon-e-o,
I had the same issue two weeks ago. What you can do is when you installed sdk, there should have been google drivers installed.
When on your computer right click to find the driver and point it to the google directory on your machine.
It should be just c:\google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777