[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
bag.gif

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Cannot load recovery.. So damn annoying, getting so stressed I'm rerooting my phone and N7 and for some reason it doesn't want to flash the recovery... Fck me...

Wow I feel like such a dumbass. I've been trying to flash recovery img on both my N4 and N7. I thought that having the recovery img on the device is what flashes it.

After putting the recovery ALSO in the fastboot folder, it now works.... I feel like the biggest dickhead.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Cannot load recovery.. So damn annoying, getting so stressed I'm rerooting my phone and N7 and for some reason it doesn't want to flash the recovery... Fck me...

Wow I feel like such a dumbass. I've been trying to flash recovery img on both my N4 and N7. I thought that having the recovery img on the device is what flashes it.

After putting the recovery ALSO in the fastboot folder, it now works.... I feel like the biggest dickhead.

Reading good is good :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Attention: I've decided to cease using SuperSU for managing our root access and will be recommending Koush's open source Superuser app going forward.

As many know, Koush is a very well known and respected Android developer and I like the idea of recommending his take on what a Superuser app should be. I updated the OP with a direct link to download the flashable zip from his site, which should be used if you are not rooted yet.

For those of us rooted already using SuperSU.. you can download Koush's Superuser directly from the Google Play link and install it. Within SuperSU's settings you will see an option to clean it up and uninstall to switch to a different SU app. Go through those motions and then install Koush's app. Let it install itself in the recommended method (recovery).. it will do all the work for you and keep the binary updated. Shouldn't be any problems. If you run into something weird let me know :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Attention: I've decided to cease using SuperSU for managing our root access and will be recommending Koush's open source Superuser app going forward.

As many know, Koush is a very well known and respected Android developer and I like the idea of recommending his take on what a Superuser app should be. I updated the OP with a direct link to download the flashable zip from his site, which should be used if you are not rooted yet.

For those of us rooted already using SuperSU.. you can download Koush's Superuser directly from the Google Play link and install it. Within SuperSU's settings you will see an option to clean it up and uninstall to switch to a different SU app. Go through those motions and then install Koush's app. Let it install itself in the recommended method (recovery).. it will do all the work for you and keep the binary updated. Shouldn't be any problems. If you run into something weird let me know :)

The SuperSU icon sucked anyway :).

whyonlyme

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I have bought nexus 4. This is my first android phone. I wanna ask, what does unlocking and rooting are? What are the benefits of it? What if I wont do it? Please answer soon

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have bought nexus 4. This is my first android phone. I wanna ask, what does unlocking and rooting are? What are the benefits of it? What if I wont do it? Please answer soon

There are many articles and hundreds of threads discussing the pros and cons of unlocking and rooting.. This thread is not intended for that discussion. Thanks for understanding :)

Joe Bloe

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
"fastboot devices" produces:
"The program 'fastboot' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot"
"sudo fastboot devices", "fastboot-linux devices" or "sudo fastboot-linux devices" produces:
"command not found"
...so what do I do? sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot?

(I am in the unzipped nexus4-adb-fastboot folder containing fastboot files in terminal, usb debugging is enabled, and my phone is in fastboot mode)

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
"fastboot devices" produces:
"The program 'fastboot' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot"
"sudo fastboot devices", "fastboot-linux devices" or "sudo fastboot-linux devices" produces:
"command not found"
...so what do I do? sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot?

(I am in the unzipped nexus4-adb-fastboot folder containing fastboot files in terminal, usb debugging is enabled, and my phone is in fastboot mode)

Do what it says, lol, install that :)

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Or add to your $PATH statement. Or precede with ./. Google for Bash shell basics. :beer:

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've backed up my N4 with Carbon, but to be sure, I want to copy all the folders in my /sdcard0 folder to my computer and copy them back to /sdcard0 after unlocking and rooting. Will this work or is there something I'm missing? Thanks, and thank you for the awesome guide.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've backed up my N4 with Carbon, but to be sure, I want to copy all the folders in my /sdcard0 folder to my computer and copy them back to /sdcard0 after unlocking and rooting. Will this work or is there something I'm missing? Thanks, and thank you for the awesome guide.

I'd try to limit how much you do that with.. Like just the needed stuff like your backups, gallery, media, etc.. But there probably wouldn't be a problem.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Under "Root it !":

Shouldn't this:

2. This command will boot you into CWM, it will not flash it permanently. Type it in and press Enter.

Be this:

2. This command will boot you into TWRP, it will not flash it permanently. Type it in and press Enter.