Had my A500 for 3 weeks and love it but

mcoletti

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there an easy way to watch Hulo, or Netflix on the Acer without having to be "paired" with another computer? I have used You Tube for movies, but I find it difficult to search for just Complete movies or complete TV shows. If I need to have my laptop on somewhere else in the house, I might as well just watch on it bigger screen etc. I really believe the this is a major oversite by Acer and Google, on an otherwise perfect system!

Any help or suggestions regarding an easy fix would be appreciated.

Thank you,

MC

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Netflix is making an app that runs on Android. It's entirely on Netflix to get this working, and they are doing their best, so far as I can tell. Only a few devices don't work with the app: all tablets, the Thunderbolt, and I believe a few others (I remember the Thunderbolt mainly because I have it).

As for Hulu, you would need to contact their support for any information. I think we should all contact them so that they know the Android community would like an app to directly watch videos. Otherwise, you should be able to go to Hulu's site and watch the videos as they are all in Flash format and the Acer can play flash in the browser. All you should need for it is wifi.

Edit:
Sorry, I'm trying Hulu out right now via mobile hotspotting to my phone, and it's not allowing me to watch the video, saying my platform isn't supported. I am using Dolphin HD set to desktop agent. I'll try it when I get home and see if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm set up as a mobile hotspot and not "true" wifi.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, still isn't working even on normal wifi. I'll ask my friend that owns a Xoom to see if he has the same problem, although, I think he will since it's something to do with Hulu's videos. I bet it's something to do with the version of flash they are using...

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, definitely something with Hulu. Doesn't work on my friend's Xoom, and we both know it use to work, considering we've watched a couple of videos from his Xoom in the past.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I use PlayOn and it works rather well for both Netflix, Hulu, and a variety of other streaming video sites, but has the downside of being an additional monthly fee and requiring a desktop/laptop to act as the "server". It essentially works as a browser on your desktop and streams the content to your portable device (Phone/Tablet). Worth the 3.99/mo, imho.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
so it's safe to assume that netflix can't be accessed via the browser--for logging in and viewing videos? is this what's meant when you say "paired with a computer?"

i could care less about an app if the browser option were true.

(sorry if it's a blatantly obvious answer--i'm looking to buy one but netflix could be a breaker since i'm not willing to buy PlayOn, too)

tacked on: i see it has HDMI mirroring ability. this is just like most phones--only used for photos/videos stored on the hard drive, but NOT for apps or web browsing, correct?

Last edited:

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
so it's safe to assume that netflix can't be accessed via the browser--for logging in and viewing videos? is this what's meant when you say "paired with a computer?"

i could care less about an app if the browser option were true.

(sorry if it's a blatantly obvious answer--i'm looking to buy one but netflix could be a breaker since i'm not willing to buy PlayOn, too)

tacked on: i see it has HDMI mirroring ability. this is just like most phones--only used for photos/videos stored on the hard drive, but NOT for apps or web browsing, correct?

Netflix currently isn't available for any of the Honeycomb tablets. The website uses Silverlight, not flash, so cannot be accessed via the browser.

Reactions: project.in.process

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroharoo