Hangouts is now broken for me...

ageyoung24

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 since the day before release and I have been a huge fan of Hangouts. It's just so smooth. Unfortunately, the recent update has broken it for me. I'll try to explain the best I can what is happening. Before doing so, understand that I have a 7 person group hangout (via sms with iphone and android users) where we send both normal texts and pics...

- After updating yesterday, things appeared to be even smoother... really liked the new mms/sms switching.
- Woke up this morning and messages in ANY group appear to not send.
- Everyone is telling me they are receiving the messages 15-20 times, even when I don't attempt to "resend" the messages that are reported to not be sent.
- Messages sent by other people in the group either don't show up at all or in their separate "people" windows.
- The messages show up as mms, undownloaded messages with a size of 1KB (makes sense since the group is mms). Clicking on these doesn't download the message.
- I have checked the settings and ensured that groups are threaded and even changed the APN. Nothing is working.

Also, I have not received the new Android update... still on 4.4.2.

Maybe the new Android update will fix this horrible Hangouts update? I need help right meow! :-( Please.

ageyoung24

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It seems like it is an issue with mms only. SMS works just fine. Any mms advice?

Also, hangouts is crashing pretty frequently now even when I am doing nothing but having it open.

ageyoung24

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
A friend that has Sprint as well just told me he has had an issue with our group as well today and he doesn't use hangouts. I wonder if this is a network issue.

Called Sprint... of course, they say there is no issue. My friend also has a different phone than the N5.

Last edited:

twerboy

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hangouts has made MMS work for me for a long time, and I'm using an old S2 Android Version 4.1.2 on Sprint. For 2 days now though, since the update I guess, every message anyone sends in the 10 group chats I'm in: I receive only an sms from each person like you were saying "couldn't download mms-retry"-never works. And I found out only after my friend put a bogus KSL add for free puppies up (got 30+ phone calls and texts...) that they were getting my messages that were "not sent" 5 times each. So they all got like 25 message from me, even though my phone would crash every time I tried to send to a group chat and would have to pull my battery out to get it to respond again.

Hopefully there is a solution, or a quick update that will fix this, cause I don't want to wipe my phone again if that's not going to fix it. Probably time to just upgrade... but I still like the 4G wiimax speeds. My area doesn't have LTE yet.

EDIT:
I've tried clearing cache/data.
Reinstalling hangouts.
Uninstalling hangouts and installing an apk of 2.1 manually.
Changing the APN.
Uninstalling hangouts, removing my google account from the phone, restarting it logging back in, restarting and installing hangouts again from the play store after turning off Automatic restore in backup and reset options for my google account.
Moved a bunch of apps to my SD card since I only had 200MB of free internal memory. I now have 920MB free.
Phone still crashes. Everyone still gets like 5 messages at a time.

Last edited:

twerboy

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Started working again.
Didn't do anything more. Sprint or whoever must've fixed the issue.

I'm just happy my phone isn't shunning me anymore.

eazyweazy3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Hangouts. I'm sure many are but for me Textra is where it's at. I absolutely enjoy using Textra very much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts blows Textra away. The SMS Hangouts integration is a game changer. It's now better than iMessage for Android users.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I've been a Textra user for a while, but decided to try Hangouts. Worked great for a couple of days, but is now doing the "Couldn't download MMS message" error for all MMS. Switched back to Textra, and the messages it said it couldn't download are there. It's a glitch with Hangouts.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Everything being said here is a problem of how MMS is programmed and handled in Hangouts, along with poor network and data connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The fact that someone else on a different device with a different app makes me believe this is a network error.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Alpejohn

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I also get the "mms not downloaded an wont dowload" sometimes, but in in conversations with only me and another person. I can send and recieve mms with no problem. This just show up sometimes. And when i ask what the person sent, they havent sent anything.. Im at the latest version now on N5. :)

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I also get the "mms not downloaded an wont dowload" sometimes, but in in conversations with only me and another person. I can send and recieve mms with no problem. This just show up sometimes. And when i ask what the person sent, they havent sent anything.. Im at the latest version now on N5. :)

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

I can confirm a couple of things:

1) whenever I got the "MMS not downloaded" message, the message was actually downloaded and sitting in Textra.
2) this only happened (for me, at least) in group messages. If somebody replied to a group message as just a SMS, it came through fine.
3) it didn't *seem* to affect outgoing messages, but I won't call that one definitive.
4) it *only* happened when I was on Wi-Fi. Whenever i tapped the "download now" on the messages, I would see the cellular signal icons (4G) pop up for a moment, like it was determined to download the message as data, and only over my cellular connection. This may be a *big* part of the problem.

So, basically, I've just gone back to Textra for now. Maybe, someday, Google will get Hangouts sorted and I'll try it out again. Pretty disappointed with the state of the app right now, though.

Superevangelist12

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have had the exact same problem with Hangouts. I do a fair bit of group messaging and it is a regular issue. The MMS messages fail to download.

Posted via Android Central App