Have the Tab S 10.5, ask me anything!

Clyde_Frog

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, I'm really hoping you can answer this one for me if you're willing. I currently have the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (SM-T520) which I only purchased a month ago.

I’d read comments before buying that Touchwiz and the interface in general was laggy (others disagreed). I have to agree that it is laggy. Not massively so, but annoying noticeable when you are used to the buttered lightning speed of the HTC One M8.

I note you have the 32GB model; is that LTE or Wi-Fi, as I believe that influences which processor is used? My Tab Pro is 16GB Wi-Fi only so has an Exynos processor, which some people believe is responsible for the lag.

So, first question, is the interface/Touchwiz at all laggy?

Second question (hopefully not pushing my luck now  ). A main reason I bought the Tab Pro was to play The Simpsons Tapped Out on a large HD screen (yeah I know, a bit mad but I love that game). The game is practically unplayable on the Tab Pro. The animations stutter/lag and the screen becomes non-responsive to tap/touch (EA are apparently aware but are not doing anything about it).

Would you be willing to install the game and see if it’s the same story on the Tab S? It’s evident the first time you see any in-game animation (within first minute of play) whether the lag and stutter is there.

If it’s all good then I can swap the Tab Pro for a Tab S so an honest opinion would be amazing.

Thanks in advance.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, I'm really hoping you can answer this one for me if you're willing. I currently have the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (SM-T520) which I only purchased a month ago.

I’d read comments before buying that Touchwiz and the interface in general was laggy (others disagreed). I have to agree that it is laggy. Not massively so, but annoying noticeable when you are used to the buttered lightning speed of the HTC One M8.

I note you have the 32GB model; is that LTE or Wi-Fi, as I believe that influences which processor is used? My Tab Pro is 16GB Wi-Fi only so has an Exynos processor, which some people believe is responsible for the lag.

Second question (hopefully not pushing my luck now  ). A main reason I bought the Tab Pro was to play The Simpsons Tapped Out on a large HD screen (yeah I know, a bit mad but I love that game). The game is practically unplayable on the Tab Pro. The animations stutter/lag and the screen becomes non-responsive to tap/touch (EA are apparently aware but are not doing anything about it).

Would you be willing to install the game and see if it’s the same story on the Tab S? It’s evident the first time you see any in-game animation (within first minute of play) whether the lag and stutter is there.

If it’s all good then I can swap the Tab Pro for a Tab S so an honest opinion would be amazing.

Thanks in advance.

I believe it is the Exynos CPU that causes all this lag. My phone is the Note 3 with the same 3GB of Ram but with the Snapdragon 800 cpu. TBH if you can spend the money and willing to wait a few months I would return that now and get the Tab s with LTE model from wherever. You could also get the Galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition with LTE now instead which is around $600 with the Snapdragon 800 cpu inside

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

Yea I can install that game. It'll be when I get home from work though. But I'll update you.

I only really find lag when downloading apps. Other than that it's pretty snappy. I am using Nova Launcher as well. The 32gb version is identical to the 16 as far as CPU internals.

Clyde_Frog

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yea I can install that game. It'll be when I get home from work though. But I'll update you.

I only really find lag when downloading apps. Other than that it's pretty snappy. I am using Nova Launcher as well. The 32gb version is identical to the 16 as far as CPU internals.

Cool, thank you, really appreciated. I can live with a little lag, after all we spend the majority of our time in apps anyway, but Tapped Out is the deal-breaker for me!

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
There was an update yesterday that may have fixed the issue, but I would be careful: I also play the terrible game that is Tapped Out, and I've found a number of posts stating that the performance is terrible on the Tab S. I have no reason to doubt Closingracer and dwd3885, but it was supposed to be pretty bad only two days ago.

Clyde_Frog

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It's possible that the game seemed OK if you were in a brand new town with very few animations going on. Closingracer, are you an exisiting player or did you also start a new game?

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It's possible that the game seemed OK if you were in a brand new town with very few animations going on. Closingracer, are you an exisiting player or did you also start a new game?

Yes I've never played the game before

Posted via Android Central App

Clyde_Frog

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you're right. There's a lot of evidence about to suggest it's the crappy Exynos 5 causing issues. Guess I'll be returning the Tab Pro! Does anyone know when the LTE models are expected?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi Closingracer, it looks as though the LTE models are already available in the UK now, but the Samsung product page lists these as Octacore too?

Galaxy Tab S 10.5 16GB 4G & Wi-Fi (White), 2560x1600 (WQXGA) Super AMOLED - Samsung UK
Ah in the states they have used snapdragon cpu in their phones like the galaxy s2 skyrocket (first Samsung LTE phone for AT&T), Galaxy s3 s4 s5 and note 1 and 3 (2 did use the exynos cpu in the states). The galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition LTE version uses the snapdragon 800 cpu

Clyde_Frog

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, it's not an easy task trying to establish precisely which chip sets are in which models and in which territories. SO much inconsistency and generic information on retailers websites.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah in the states they have used snapdragon cpu in their phones like the galaxy s2 skyrocket (first Samsung LTE phone for AT&T), Galaxy s3 s4 s5 and note 1 and 3 (2 did use the exynos cpu in the states). The galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition LTE version uses the snapdragon 800 cpu

LTE models will be at least 120 more expensive too I bet. Exynos is fine.

Posted via Android Central App

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Enjoying both my Tablet Ss... I'm sure a software patch will cure most of the complaints above.