Headphone / BT music controls and music player

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, recent iPhone convert here. So on the iPhone when you plugin headphones and press play on the inline controls it will start the iPod music player period, unless you have for example, Pandora already running. The better way to say this is that a freshly rebooted iPhone, open up the multitasking close all programs, plug in headphones and press play you will get the iPod app to play music.

On the S3, freshly rebooted, open multitasking, close all apps, plug in headphones and press play and you get the sounds of silence -- nothing, no music period. You have to go and start an app before the inline controls, or bluetooth controls will control anything.

My guess is that there are various different apps that could be controlled by the inline controls and the S3 doesn't know which one you want to control. So the question is can I set a default program to always accept the inline/BT commands even if it the app isn't running? I'd like not to have to install a 3rd party headphone program to do this but if that's the case then ok.

I'd like Google Play to be the default but am open to other suggestions. Conversely if the solution is to remove the Samsung music app and that won't screw me up doing so then I'll gladly do that.

asr10 user

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Tasker can do this and will allow you to select which app to start. It can even start music automatically. But I'm pretty sure you can do this stock as well.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Tasker can do this and will allow you to select which app to start. It can even start music automatically. But I'm pretty sure you can do this stock as well.

I'll look at Tasker, I've looked in the settings and was unable to find something that would do what I want, if you can point me in the direction I need to go that would be great.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you want it to play when you plug the head phone in? Try llama. I'm pretty sure you can set whatever app you want to play when you plug in head phones. Llama is like tasker except it's free and in my opinion better.

Last edited:

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I installed the Tasker demo and was quickly able to launch Play Music when headphones are plugged in, now all I need to do is press play on the inline remote and I have tunes! I don't like that Takser is $6, this is one gripe about Android while I can customise damn near everything about the phone having to pay to do so sucks. I'll look at Llama and see if that will do what I want as well.

Thanks all!

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I installed the Tasker demo and was quickly able to launch Play Music when headphones are plugged in, now all I need to do is press play on the inline remote and I have tunes! I don't like that Takser is $6, this is one gripe about Android while I can customise damn near everything about the phone having to pay to do so sucks. I'll look at Llama and see if that will do what I want as well.

Thanks all!

So while you earn a living you begrudge a paltry $6 to the guy who developed the app? What did you spend on lunch yesterday?

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
So while you earn a living you begrudge a paltry $6 to the guy who developed the app? What did you spend on lunch yesterday?

Bad argument, If all this guy is going to use tasker for is to launch play music upon inserting headphones that seems pretty expensive and all the power of tasker is complete overkill. If on the other hand he is going to use tasker to automate lots of things to make his life easier then $6 doesn't seem so bad.

Personally I was at home for lunch yesterday and my ham & cheese sandwich was probably about $1. I don't buy $4+ coffee either...

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

I don't begrudge the dev anything. If Tasker is the best solution to my problem I'll gladly pay the price, however Tasker looks like it's far more control than I want and need. If anything I begrudge Google and/or Apple, this feature and functionality is built right into iOS for free, though maybe I should direct my anger at Samsung and TouchWiz for being a bully with it's own apps, who knows.

Regardless I'm not going to simply give my money away without first making sure that I'm doing what's best for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Owenwilliam