HELP: Spam Call Blocking Strategy Needed

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
About a year ago I did an order from an online pharmacy and made the huge mistake of giving my phone number.

Over the past month they have gotten very aggressive calling me once or twice a day leaving voice messages.

I was using a spam block app called "Should I Answer". This did a fairly good job but if I set it to Block and Hang up they were still able to leave a voicemail. "Should I Answer" said this is a project fi issue. They said I needed to also block the numbers in project fi.

Most calls all these spam calls come from the area code 605. With Should I Answer I am able to block that area code by blocking +1605*

Unfortunately, Google Fi does not allow this and I must enter the entire phone number. Since they call me from many different 605 numbers. I also get some calls from other area codes but so far this is minimal.

Recently, I turned turned off the Should I Answer app and am using the Pixel phone dialer now because I heard it has very good spam blocking.

I have been going through settings and for Possibly Fake numbers and Private and hidden numbers I have two options 'ring through' and 'screen call'. I don't want either of these, I want to decline and hang up.

Now when I get a 605 number my phone rings (The Pixel does not ID them as spam). So I need to decline call and mark that number as spam. Unfortunately they have 9,999,999 605 numbers to call from and there is no way to block them all with * masking.

Other than changing my phone number, how can I block these and other spammer phone calls?

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Slightly off-topic and a longer term solution, but I have a multiple google accounts with an associated Google Voice numbers.

I have expanding circles of who gets the email/phone number. Only family and friends get my "real" info. Then I have an account that is for legitimate business uses (like your original scenario, contractors, doctors, etc.), and then a third which is my throw away contact info (like I would use to sign up for websites or something that don't want them to have contact info.

Then I just set Google Voice not to ring for the throw away account. It sends me an email if someone leaves a message. Most don't and I never hear from the spam callers.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
About a year ago I did an order from an online pharmacy and made the huge mistake of giving my phone number.

Over the past month they have gotten very aggressive calling me once or twice a day leaving voice messages.

I was using a spam block app called "Should I Answer". This did a fairly good job but if I set it to Block and Hang up they were still able to leave a voicemail. "Should I Answer" said this is a project fi issue. They said I needed to also block the numbers in project fi.

Most calls all these spam calls come from the area code 605. With Should I Answer I am able to block that area code by blocking +1605*

Unfortunately, Google Fi does not allow this and I must enter the entire phone number. Since they call me from many different 605 numbers. I also get some calls from other area codes but so far this is minimal.

Recently, I turned turned off the Should I Answer app and am using the Pixel phone dialer now because I heard it has very good spam blocking.

I have been going through settings and for Possibly Fake numbers and Private and hidden numbers I have two options 'ring through' and 'screen call'. I don't want either of these, I want to decline and hang up.

Now when I get a 605 number my phone rings (The Pixel does not ID them as spam). So I need to decline call and mark that number as spam. Unfortunately they have 9,999,999 605 numbers to call from and there is no way to block them all with * masking.

Other than changing my phone number, how can I block these and other spammer phone calls?

Just answer and kindly, but firmly, ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list. It sounds like there's only one spammer actively targeting your number for the most part.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure to sign up on the National Do Not Call Registry: https://www.donotcall.gov/

I would also try marking each of those calls as spam -- it may help Google's AI learn that those calls from that area code are spam, and default them to "Likely Spam", thus not bothering you.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

You can set up the pixel call screen feature to automatically answer and screen suspected spam/robocalls without ringing your phone or saving a voicemail. I have mine set up that way and it works incredibly well. It just screened a call for me today that wasn't spam, and since they answered questions from the assistant and said why they were calling (instead of just hanging up) the call rang through... otherwise if they didn't respond properly it would have silently hung up on them and marked them as spam. The pixel call screening feature is truly next level when it comes to dealing with spammers... I don't deal with spam calls anymore, my phone does ;)

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I would agree with that last post. Call screening is the best idea. I do it on my landline with the voicemail. Since only my mum and one friend use that number they will leave me a message which I can then answer or call them.back. spammers don't bother.

The call screen feature is the equivalent of voicemail screening but for your mobile. Hit the screen call when they ring and it will deter them.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Just answer and kindly, but firmly, ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list. It sounds like there's only one spammer actively targeting your number for the most part.

I have tried this but these spammers are calling from other countries the couldn't care less about the U.S. Do Not Call list. I have asked them several times to please stop calling and take me off their list but they have call centers and my number just goes back into the pot and someone else calls.

I would also try marking each of those calls as spam -- it may help Google's AI learn that those calls from that area code are spam, and default them to "Likely Spam", thus not bothering you.

I have 200+ numbers marked as spam. This prevents the phone from ringing when they call but they are sent to voicemail so they know the number is good so they keep leaving messages.

You can set up the pixel call screen feature to automatically answer and screen suspected spam/robocalls without ringing your phone or saving a voicemail. I have mine set up that way and it works incredibly well. It just screened a call for me today that wasn't spam, and since they answered questions from the assistant and said why they were calling (instead of just hanging up) the call rang through... otherwise if they didn't respond properly it would have silently hung up on them and marked them as spam. The pixel call screening feature is truly next level when it comes to dealing with spammers... I don't deal with spam calls anymore, my phone does ;)

I have used call screening in the past. It worked like this - Google assistant would answer and ask why are they calling, then they start stating what a great deal on a drug they want me to buy and I hit reject call. This is actual worse than the number going to voicemail. Because with voicemail at least I don't need to see their message live. If call screening now works differently, please set me straight.

Solution 1 would be for blocked and spam calls to not be able to leave a voicemail. Google support says this is not possible.

Solution 2 would be to turn off Voicemail which does not seem possible

Solution 3 would be to get a new phone number. I have a very cool phone number that I use for business and don't really want to do this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In the Call Screen options, can you select "Silently Decline" (instead of "Automatically Screen") for Spam and Possibly Faked Numbers?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
In the Call Screen options, can you select "Silently Decline" (instead of "Automatically Screen") for Spam and Possibly Faked Numbers?

For some reason I don't have the Call Screen option as detailed at https://9to5google.com/2022/05/03/h...-pixel/#h-which-pixel-phones-can-screen-calls

There are a few options you might want to adjust to get the most out of call screening on Google’s Pixel. Here’s how to get to call screening settings:

On your Pixel, find and open the Phone app.
In the top-right corner, tap the overflow menu (three-dot menu.)
Tap Settings.
The second option will be Spam and Call Screen. Tap it.
Look for the Google Assistant icon and tap Call Screen.

call settings.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That looks like an old screen. What version of the Phone app do you have? I'm on 95.0.491468435.

Also, go to the system settings, then Security & Privacy>Updates. Are you on December for the Security Update, and November for the Google Play system update?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the latest monthly update. Anyway, an hour later I looked and the settings were there. Very strange.

Anyway I turned Call Screen on and did all the silently decline for spam and robocalls. I'll see how it works.

I am wondering for legit new non-contact calls, if phone is not on me and someone calls and states what they are calling about, what happens when I am not around to pick up.

Also, how does it work when plugged in to my Android Auto in my Jeep and a call comes in.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the latest monthly update. Anyway, an hour later I looked and the settings were there. Very strange.

Anyway I turned Call Screen on and did all the silently decline for spam and robocalls. I'll see how it works.

I am wondering for legit new non-contact calls, if phone is not on me and someone calls and states what they are calling about, what happens when I am not around to pick up.

Also, how does it work when plugged in to my Android Auto in my Jeep and a call comes in.

I think that if you don't pick up the phone, the Google Assistant voice will timeout the call and inform the caller that you're not currently available -- in that situation, the caller might be prompted to leave a voicemail. (But I'm just speculating here, since I've never tested it.)

Not sure about Android Auto.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe