• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone, would appreciate some advice:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6
Android version: 7

Issue:
I was taking some photographs with phone then reviewing them so I think I was in the phones default gallery app or could have just been in the default camera app, I'm not certain. I then accidentally pressed an icon at top of screen that looked a lot like the auto rotate symbol i.e two circular arrows around the outside but with two upright rectangles in the middle side by side, one lower than the other. It then displayed a message that said something along the lines of "connecting to such & such TV" and it mentioned the TV's screen size & brand. This TV that I was connecting to was not my own TV but I guess a neighbors so I quickly powered off my phone (the photograph in question was only a selfie but I didn't like the idea of my face suddenly appearing on a neighbors TV!).

So where it gets a little strange is that I went to try and replicate the condition but that icon I had accidentally pressed now no longer appears in the gallery or camera apps. My concern therefore is that I have now created some sort of permanent pairing with a neighbors TV. I think I've pretty much ruled out Bluetooth but I believe it may have been a wi-fi direct connection as I can sometimes see other TVs listed under available devices in the wi-fi direct menu. I live in a large block of apartments but its not shared wifi or anything.

So two questions that follow:

1. Can anyone please confirm exactly what that symbol/icon was? I've been hunting for a full list of default android icon meanings but can find no such list, only seems to be lists for notification symbols but not actual controls. It would be easier to research this if I knew the name for that symbol

2. Is it safe to assume that if I did accidentally share a photo on a neighbors TV that it was only that one photo I was viewing at the time? I'm now a little paranoid that because the pairing icon or whatever no longer appears, my phone is now permanently paired to this neighbors TV and they may be able to view things on my phone.

Thanks.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
1. Can anyone please confirm exactly what that symbol/icon was? I've been hunting for a full list of default android icon meanings but can find no such list, only seems to be lists for notification symbols but not actual controls. It would be easier to research this if I knew the name for that symbol

2. Is it safe to assume that if I did accidentally share a photo on a neighbors TV that it was only that one photo I was viewing at the time? I'm now a little paranoid that because the pairing icon or whatever no longer appears, my phone is now permanently paired to this neighbors TV and they may be able to view things on my phone.

1. Don't know for SURE, but it sounds like you accessed DNLA or Miracast which is an ability within many phones to connect to TVs and other computers and share files, pictures etc. Both devices have to be on the same WiFi network. Also the only thing they ever possibility saw was that 1 picture. And I'm quite sure your neighbor would have been as freaked out as you IF you suddenly appeared on their TV! It in no way establishes a permanent connection.

2. Yes the only think that they possibly saw was that 1 picture, NO permanent connection was formed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174