Help with Virgin Mobile LG Optimus F3 OTA Update

JustAlfo

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
****Found the fix, I just needed to unbrick the phone***

Alright, so basically I rooted my phone when I got it last year and deleted a bunch of the preinstalled apps that I did not want. (For more space) Well last week I get this update notification for a new OTA update. I try to update, it gets to about 30%, then the android guy falls over with the red sign, and the phone reboots normally and I get the update notification again. I tried multiple ways to get this notification to go away, such as the apps that disable the update service. They aren't permanent and I would have to reapply every reboot, so I got tired of that real quick. Then I noticed that I was not receiving incoming calls all the time, so I figured maybe this OTA update was required and would fix that. I decided to go to backup and restore and restore my phone to factory default. Well after doing this I found out some of the apps I removed... still aren't there.. And I feel like a dumbass. Like for instance I had no keyboard.. I had to download an .apk one just to login to google play again. After messing around fixing my settings back to usual I see the update pop up again. So I try to install it and the same thing happens... It gets to about 30%, then falls over with the red sign and fails. Im basically back to where I was before. Is there anyway I can salvage this? Or should I just buy a new phone? I think I messed it up by removing those unused apps.. I did not know it was permanent =/ Guess I learned the hard way.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Glad you found the fix. Do you mind sharing the exact details for others to see just in case they run into similar problems?

JustAlfo

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was going to, but I wasn't sure if you guys like links to other forums posted.

I figured people recover their "bricked" phones... so I wonder if that would work, and it did. This guys guide worked perfectly!

androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-sprint-optimus-f3-all-things-root/842939-recovery-vm-cwm-6-0-4-8-touch-lg-optimus-f3.html

The only thing that was off was that to get into download mode you have to take out the battery, plug in the usb cord, put the battery back in, and just hold Volume +.

It restored my phone to it's out of the box state and everything is working perfectly now. I will never uninstall base apps again haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vergoña69