"Hey, is that the new iPad Mini?!"

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I got this quite a bit over Thanksgiving. With the followup look of confusion while they ponder the word "Nexus."

Then they ask if my Transformer is, "an android ipad?" However, the look of confusion gets replaced with admitted jealousy when they see me plug the Transformer into the keyboard dock and then close it up to protect the display, while they dink with some flap on their ipad cover/case.

Not to mention the fact that they were obliviously freeloading off my 4G tethering because their iphones were getting pathetic 3G speeds in the area we were in?

-Suntan

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Very fun that this just happened to me yesterday while I was out shopping. I brought the Nexus 7 with me to compare prices and search for coupons. It is great that i could put it in my back pocket when walking the store/mall.

I was asked "oh how do you like the new mini ipad?" "I was thinking about getting it for my husband for Christmas"

I instantly thought of this thread which brought a smile to my face :) I used the line that someone posted in here. "No this is the Nexus 7, it is an Android Tablet. This is what Apple copied to make their mini Ipad" :cool:

She looked at me with confusion first and then almost took offense to the comment and kinda of walked away. Man people hate to hear the truth! :)

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I got this quite a bit over Thanksgiving. With the followup look of confusion while they ponder the word "Nexus."
-Suntan

I was talking to some friends about gadgets etc and mentioned that I had got a Nexus 7 and one of them said 'I didn't know you were getting a new car' :D

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Possibly with the user experience. But you're just not being objective if you can't agree Apple's marketing is, by more than an order of magnitude, more effective than Google's.

As for apps... show me anything on Android that can compete with Garageband, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. Even Android's Email client is difficult to use in work related workflows because of a lack of common features, and most of the Apps in Play are not optimized for a tablet like the Nexus 7 (they simply look like big phone apps with smallish text and lots of wasted pixels). This is not the user experience on an iPad.

Don't get me wrong... I like the Nexus 7. I like the Android OS. But the App-mosphere for the combo is pretty disappointing.

Please reread my post. You missed the period after marketing! So, I did agree that Apple has better marketing. OK?

As for the apps you listed, only if those apps are important to you. So again, apps and user experience are subjective and/or opinions. And everyone gets to be right (correct) when it comes to opinions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Had at least 5 people ask me in the bar if it was the Mini last week. I said "No it is a Nexus 7". Everyone looked at me strange and said who makes that? I say Google and they say the search Website where do you get that?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There are other brands/makes of tissues, but most know Kleenex.

There are other brands/makes of liquid bleech, but most know Clorox.

There are other brands/makes of tablets, but most know the iPad.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
This is not the user experience on an iPad.

Funny. What really hurts people's credibility when making iOS and Android comparisons is when they pretend the sh** never stinks on the iOS side. "It just works," and now the iPad doesn't have a user experience where phone apps are overblown to display in the iPad. I guess I'll just pretend complaints over that never existed.

People continually kill me with this "disappointing" app situation on Android tablets. Maybe someday I'll be disappointed as much as you guys are, when I'm unable to use apps I need on my tablets.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It's called better marketing, apps, and user experience. Nexus tabs still have a lot of catch up to do and some folks don't want to wait for it.

User experience is lacking on Apple products now. You can't do much of anything and that ruins the experience.

But ditto on marketing.

I disagree on apps though

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It isn't just marketing from Apple. The Kindles are right there too.

Both of my sisters were talking about getting Kindle Fires for their children for Christmas. They knew nothing about the Nexus products.

It certainly helps that Amazon can plaster their Kindle on the front page of their store and have everyone see it. This is the problem with everyone "just knowing" that Google is a search company. Even though Google has many more people using their website every day, they would be blasted by all if they put a big, tacky advert trying to sell their Nexus devices right on the front page.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
...Screen after screen of simple, one-dimensional lists is a poorly designed interface for a tablet...

Wait, are we talking about some of the 3rd party apps on an android tablet, or the main user interface on the homescreen of the ipad tablet? Cause you're discribing them both... :confused:

-Suntan

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Funny. What really hurts people's credibility when making iOS and Android comparisons is when they pretend the sh** never stinks on the iOS side. "It just works," and now the iPad doesn't have a user experience where phone apps are overblown to display in the iPad. I guess I'll just pretend complaints over that never existed.

People continually kill me with this "disappointing" app situation on Android tablets. Maybe someday I'll be disappointed as much as you guys are, when I'm unable to use apps I need on my tablets.

I keep asking for some examples of critical apps that suck on android that are available on iOS and the list is very small. There is a solution for everything. Can it get better? Yes. And it is. And it will.

I find the biggest feature on a tablet is the ability to watch movies. Android supports pretty much every video format which makes it far superior to the iPad. Copying and management is superior.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's called better marketing, apps, and user experience. Nexus tabs still have a lot of catch up to do and some folks don't want to wait for it.

I agree with the better marketing. More apps maybe, but not necessarily better. And user experience is subjective. I got bored of tinkering with my wife's iPhone pretty quickly when I was helping to set it up.

Edit--sorry, posted this after a bit of the discussion on this had already occurred!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's like confusing a Jaguar with an Aston Martin with a Maserati with a Tesla Model S. They all have fairly similar designs. You have to be a bit of a connoisseur to tell the difference.