Screen protector cracks and warranty

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
After 8 months of ownership I found 3 very small cracks in the fold of my zfold3. I've read were several people have either just removed the screen protector or replaced it with one of the popular aftermarket alternatives.

After watching a couple of YouTube videos on the replacement process, I was not confident I could replace mine and be happy with the result. So, before I committed to any solution, I went to my local ubreakifix for their input.

Ends up this is a warranty repair, part came in (complete screen assembly) the next day. Set appointment for Saturday, dropped off phone and picked it up 4 hours later repaired at no cost to me.

I was very please with the ubreakifix process, it was straight forward and matter of fact. I say all this because I've read horror stories about sending a device off to Samsung for repair that was assumed to be warranty and then having to fight with them about the repair.

Here's to hoping this is not a recurring issue.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
After 8 months of ownership I found 3 very small cracks in the fold of my zfold3. I've read were several people have either just removed the screen protector or replaced it with one of the popular aftermarket alternatives.

After watching a couple of YouTube videos on the replacement process, I was not confident I could replace mine and be happy with the result. So, before I committed to any solution, I went to my local ubreakifix for their input.

Ends up this is a warranty repair, part came in (complete screen assembly) the next day. Set appointment for Saturday, dropped off phone and picked it up 4 hours later repaired at no cost to me.

I was very please with the ubreakifix process, it was straight forward and matter of fact. I say all this because I've read horror stories about sending a device off to Samsung for repair that was assumed to be warranty and then having to fight with them about the repair.

Here's to hoping this is not a recurring issue.

It'll be recurring about 8 months from now. The good things are the protector is cheap to replace out of warranty as long as the screen isn't damaged, and you seem to have found a good UBreakIFix... so hopefully the next one goes smoothly as well.

They like to replace the whole screen assembly because sometimes the screen can get damaged removing the protector, just saves the hassle of a sloppy tech screwing things up.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the 8 month recurrence is my concern. I guess I'll just have to get good at the WSD install process. I do glass screen protectors all the time, a soft protector on a screen this size seems like it could be a little difficult.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep, the 8 month recurrence is my concern. I guess I'll just have to get good at the WSD install process. I do glass screen protectors all the time, a soft protector on a screen this size seems like it could be a little difficult.
Yeah I look at it like a sticker, if you bend it over and over it's eventually going to start giving in the area that is bending. As of now this is a weakness of the fold. I don't mind doing it every 8 to 12 months as it is cheap, $20 installed at a ubreakifix location. It's worth the cost to me to have the fold, to some it isn't, that's a individual decision. I doubt any third party will last much longer and they can be a pain to install and screen can be damaged removing it.

I hope Samsung can find a solution to this. Anyone know if the other folding phones like the fold are having this issue, or do they not use a screen protector.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I look at it like a sticker, if you bend it over and over it's eventually going to start giving in the area that is bending. As of now this is a weakness of the fold. I don't mind doing it every 8 to 12 months as it is cheap, $20 installed at a ubreakifix location. It's worth the cost to me to have the fold, to some it isn't, that's a individual decision. I doubt any third party will last much longer and they can be a pain to install and screen can be damaged removing it.

I hope Samsung can find a solution to this. Anyone know if the other folding phones like the fold are having this issue, or do they not use a screen protector.
The uBreakiFix in my area does not replace the screen protector, they will only do the full screen replacement. I don't think they will want to do this every 8 months or so. I'd be happy to pay $20 for them to install a new protector. I'll have to call around and see if I can find a location that is worth the trip.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The uBreakiFix in my area does not replace the screen protector, they will only do the full screen replacement. I don't think they will want to do this every 8 months or so. I'd be happy to pay $20 for them to install a new protector. I'll have to call around and see if I can find a location that is worth the trip.
That's weird, my location has no issues doing them.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

The Moto RAZR didn't have this issue from what I recall, because they were using a completely plastic screen with no Ultra Thin Glass layer, and they shaped the crease when closed into a gentle teardrop shape vs the folds more traditional, flatter crease when shut. I'm not sure if there was an advantage either way, I've never had the chance to use a RAZR, but I know the screen feels great on my Flip.. to me it feels premium and glass like under the protector, and looks awesome. I'm guessing that would be the difference.

Besides the RAZR had so many other QC issues I never even considered it. I do think I read the RAZR's screen was a lower resolution, and when the screen did have issues it was a whole screen replacement... no option for a $20 protector replacement.

I am curious how Oppo and Huawei and others are doing their screens though ;)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The Moto RAZR didn't have this issue from what I recall, because they were using a completely plastic screen with no Ultra Thin Glass layer, and they shaped the crease when closed into a gentle teardrop shape vs the folds more traditional, flatter crease when shut. I'm not sure if there was an advantage either way, I've never had the chance to use a RAZR, but I know the screen feels great on my Flip.. to me it feels premium and glass like under the protector, and looks awesome. I'm guessing that would be the difference.

Besides the RAZR had so many other QC issues I never even considered it. I do think I read the RAZR's screen was a lower resolution, and when the screen did have issues it was a whole screen replacement... no option for a $20 protector replacement.

I am curious how Oppo and Huawei and others are doing their screens though ;)

Didn't the Motorola RAZR have a lot of screen issues? I seem to remember them having screen failures for some reason, the one I seen in the Verizon store the screen was a bunch of green squiggly lines.

I also would like to know the others are holding up and how they do theirs. They don't have the Spen so I'm sure that makes a difference also.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Didn't the Motorola RAZR have a lot of screen issues? I seem to remember them having screen failures for some reason, the one I seen in the Verizon store the screen was a bunch of green squiggly lines.

I also would like to know the others are holding up and how they do theirs. They don't have the Spen so I'm sure that makes a difference also.

I do remember some screen issues with the RAZR, but I believe those were caused by a faulty hinge that was puncturing screens in the early models (or it could be my faulty memory lol). Moto (Lenovo) has never really had a good reputation for quality with their phones, although I've owned a couple that were pretty good for the stupid low price I paid :) My wife's 3+ year old G6, that I paid $160 for brand new straight from Motorola, is still going strong. Same with the $199 Moto Z3 Play I bought myself :p

I was thinking of picking a RAZR up cheap just to check it out, so did a little research, and if I remember right the later 5G versions seemed to be holding up okay... except for the low res screen, poor camera and no software support. Plus you can't buy replacement parts for them, Moto wants to sell you a new phone instead ;)

Honestly though for any cutting edge tech I would never go Moto at full price. They're my budget backup choice only when they go on stupid cheap clearance ;)

I agree about wanting to know how the other companies are handling the folding screen designs. If I get the time maybe I'll try and round up some info to post back here. Google's even coming out with a folding pixel next year I believe. It was delayed, but from the prototype images I saw it looked suspiciously like a Samsung Flip, and there was talk it could use Flip parts :p

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I do remember some screen issues with the RAZR, but I believe those were caused by a faulty hinge that was puncturing screens in the early models (or it could be my faulty memory lol). Moto (Lenovo) has never really had a good reputation for quality with their phones, although I've owned a couple that were pretty good for the stupid low price I paid :) My wife's 3+ year old G6, that I paid $160 for brand new straight from Motorola, is still going strong. Same with the $199 Moto Z3 Play I bought myself

I was thinking of picking a RAZR up cheap just to check it out, so did a little research, and if I remember right the later 5G versions seemed to be holding up okay... except for the low res screen, poor camera and no software support. Plus you can't buy replacement parts for them, Moto wants to sell you a new phone instead ;)

Honestly though for any cutting edge tech I would never go Moto at full price. They're my budget backup choice only when they go on stupid cheap clearance ;)

I agree about wanting to know how the other companies are handling the folding screen designs. If I get the time maybe I'll try and round up some info to post back here. Google's even coming out with a folding pixel next year I believe. It was delayed, but from the prototype images I saw it looked suspiciously like a Samsung Flip, and there was talk it could use Flip parts :p
Awhile back I thought apple was talking about doing a folding phone, haven't heard if they are yet. I'm guessing they will when they perfect it

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
But they'll still say they did, and the world will rejoice.... this is Apple we're talking about lol. Nothing is ever truly done right till they do it ;)

Exactly! It's too late to say they've invented almost all of the things they get credit for, doesn't stop anyone.

This year they invented Always On Display and the notification pill! Go Apple Such genius! Such courage!

missionsparta

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
My OEM protector was pulling along the bend. I'm not going without a phone for a month. So three weeks ago, I installed the WSD. Don't know how people are having such problems. Went on perfect and is fine three weeks later. My OEM was actually getting small indents no matter how much I babies it. This one is showing no signs of that. Prefer this over the factory protector.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My OEM protector was pulling along the bend. I'm not going without a phone for a month. So three weeks ago, I installed the WSD. Don't know how people are having such problems. Went on perfect and is fine three weeks later. My OEM was actually getting small indents no matter how much I babies it. This one is showing no signs of that. Prefer this over the factory protector.

I have had my WSD Film on mine for over 6 months now and the ONLY issue I have is a small bubble at the bottom of the crease that just started to show. However, when I am using the phone, I can't even see it and it's unnoticeable. I do have a spare WDS Film in case I want to replace it, but for under $20 (when I bought them), I decided it was smart to have a couple just in case and so far, no real issue at all with mine.

missionsparta

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Do you know if you can order just the film? I already have the jig setup for installation and don't need the whole thing again. I can't find anywhere you can just order the sheets of film.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter