How buggy is the Thunderbolt compared to other modern smartphones you've used?

How buggy is the Thunderbolt compared to other modern smartphones you've used?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've only ever had one semi-smartphone and it didn't really have any bugs that I can think of except those introduced by certain apps. And I've never paid attention to a new phone release like I have to the Thunderbolt's, or regularly monitored a forum like this. So while I know there are bugs and glitches and issues of various kinds with most smartphones these days, particularly cutting edge ones first out the gate, I'm wondering whether the Thunderbolt is a lot more buggy than others most of you have used. And when I say bugs, I mean that broadly in the sense of "problems", things that don't seem to work right, whether software-based or otherwise.

Obviously a forum like this is going to attract people who have issues they want to solve, some of which aren't necessarily the phone's fault, and not people who generally aren't having problems. But as I consider getting this phone, I'm wondering if its a headache, comparatively. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like lots of you are really enjoying the good parts of it. But how does it compare in the, let's call it "quirk", department to other modern smartphones you've used? This will depend on what else you've used, but I see that many of you have quite a range of past phones to compare to.

EDIT: Also I know phones typically get a number of their initial problems fixed via OTA updates and that we're still early in the Thunderbolt's release. No doubt some of the things people are having problems with now will be fixed. So to be fair, try if you can to compare it to other phones you bought early in the product cycle.

Last edited:

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Bleeding edge technology and in its first few weeks after launch. even the evo had bugs like the bolt does. I just comes with the territory.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The Blackberry Tour that I had two years had a plethora of minor and major bugs. I had two replacements, one due to an official OS that bricked the phone.

So far I haven't noticed any bugs on the thunderbolt.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
For me it's about the same as first generation software on any smartphone. I don't mean the software itself is "brand new", I mean the software on the initial release of any phone. There are always bugs, then are (almost) always fixes. It would be unfair to compare the initial release of the ThunderBolt to the fine tuned software (after a few software fixes) of your last smartphone.

-Frank

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt runs better than any phone I've had. That includes an unlocked iPhone, Storm, Droid, and Droid 2. I also had a G1 on T-Mobile but I don't count that as it was the first generation of Android.

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Also had a storm 2, a 9650 bold, a 9000 bold plus many variants of winmo and ios. There are some issues but this phone hardware wise is better than anything our there. Android still has some glitches but compared to anything including the iphone4 which I've also had, I prefer the t bolt. Now lets hope 2.3 fixes battery life and some of the software bugs. But you can't beat the flexibility you get with it.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this is not at all what I was expecting, just by virtue of reading all of the problem posts here since it came out. It's actually pretty heartening, because I was dead set on this phone, with some worry about the battery, before it came out. I held off to let you guys be the guinea pigs, and it was starting to sound like it had too many problems and that I just needed to move on and go Dinc2 or Bionic. I'd still like to wait and see how those go and then choose, but Verizon is dropping the one year contract and will do away with unlimited data soon. I feel pressured to buy and that means Thunderbolt, unless BlackManX's unleaked stock dual-core mystery unveils soon. You may want to wait "several weeks" to buy, he at the launch of the Tbolt, hinting of this mystery soon to come. Several weeks from then is kind of... right now.

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this is not at all what I was expecting, just by virtue of reading all of the problem posts here since it came out. It's actually pretty heartening, because I was dead set on this phone, with some worry about the battery, before it came out. I held off to let you guys be the guinea pigs, and it was starting to sound like it had too many problems and that I just needed to move on and go Dinc2 or Bionic. I'd still like to wait and see how those go and then choose, but Verizon is dropping the one year contract and will do away with unlimited data soon. I feel pressured to buy and that means Thunderbolt, unless BlackManX's unleaked stock dual-core mystery unveils soon. You may want to wait "several weeks" to buy, he at the launch of the Tbolt, hinting of this mystery soon to come. Several weeks from then is kind of... right now.

A lot of us came from Blackberrys so the Thunderbolt is a dream. Remember no cell phone is perfect and there is always something "better" down the road.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Compared to BlackBerry Storm, BlackBerry Storm2, LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate and Droid Incredible, I am finding Thunderbolt a lot less buggy .... so far....

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This thing is a well-oiled machine compared to my previous BlackBerry Storm2.

None the less, however, I really have not experienced anything more than minor "bugs", and most of those were with 3rd party apps, and not the device software itself. Very happy so far. I had been loyal to BlackBerry for years (primarily because of needs for my job), but they are far in my rearview mirror now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886