Question How can I check if my Android phone is 5g?

dodoandroid

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Hi I have a Samsung A32 and awaiting a 5g Sim to be delivered. How can I check if its the 5g model? Is there anything in the settings that will tell me what the phone is capable of?

There's two versions of the A32, one is a 5g one isn't, but I dont know which model I have. I really need to know ASAP as I'll cancel the 5g sim if my phone isnt compatible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
it says the model is A32 but I already know that. I need to know if its 5g, not what the model is
Not product Name , I circled in red
4a8732b0c5f148582a347bba175e73c5.jpg

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I think all recent sims are the same. It just facilitates communication between the phone and carrier. The plan you sign up for determines what speeds you get.
If you have a sim from 2019 or newer it should work.

Last edited:

dodoandroid

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Yep, that's 4G only. There's nothing wrong with using a 5G SIM, because it'll still be able to use 4G as usual, but if it costs more than the 4G-only SIM, it's reasonable to cancel the order. (I'm not aware of any provider that charges more for a 5G SIM, though.)
thanks, thats a bummer that its 4g.

With regards to cancelling the sim, it was more about cancelling the 5g plan as it costs more than what I'd pay for a 4g plan. I might just keep the 5g plan though and have a look for a 5g phone.

Its a shame, I quite like this a32 considering its a pretty old hat model. Anybody who has it what are your thoughts on it? Would you pay £150-£200 for one?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site

With regards to cancelling the sim, it was more about cancelling the 5g plan as it costs more than what I'd pay for a 4g plan. I might just keep the 5g plan though and have a look for a 5g phone.

Its a shame, I quite like this a32 considering its a pretty old hat model. Anybody who has it what are your thoughts on it? Would you pay £150-£200 for one?
You know to be fair, I went back to 4glte because I really saw no difference in my real day to day experience. Sure I could download an app in half the time but everything else? I really didn't notice a difference.
Except, saving $120 a year which I can put towards my pixel8.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Interestingly, the A32 is better than the A32 5G in several ways: https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-a32-vs-galaxy-a32-5g-specs/

I can only speak about the A32 5G, which I have as a backup phone. I did have to use it as my daily driver for about a month a couple of years ago, and it was totally fine -- performance was quite good, despite the budget price. Camera was nothing to write home about, but I'm spoiled rotten by Pixels, so it's hard to live up to that standard. Still getting updates from Samsung, which is nice (although it's only quarterly).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think all recent sims are the same. It just facilitates communication between the phone and carrier. The plan you sign up for determines what speeds you get.
If you have a sim from 2019 or newer it should work.
You know to be fair, I went back to 4glte because I really saw no difference in my real day to day experience. Sure I could download an app in half the time but everything else? I really didn't notice a difference.
Except, saving $120 a year which I can put towards my pixel8.
The AT&T tech at the local store told me it was the plan that mattered... not the SIM just like you said. I told him I just swapped out the same SIM I've been using in my phones since 2016, because I was too lazy to activate my new SIM lol, and he said it wouldn't matter anyway 😉

We don't get 5G on our plan, we're grandfathered in on a plan that is no longer available, but that's actually perfect for us, because I was going to find a way to disable 5G anyway, because it's very spotty in our area and I didn't want the battery drain, and have it gobbling up our limited data. LTE has never let us down, and has been plenty fast for our needs 😁

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, the A32 is better than the A32 5G in several ways: https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-a32-vs-galaxy-a32-5g-specs/

I can only speak about the A32 5G, which I have as a backup phone. I did have to use it as my daily driver for about a month a couple of years ago, and it was totally fine -- performance was quite good, despite the budget price. Camera was nothing to write home about, but I'm spoiled rotten by Pixels, so it's hard to live up to that standard. Still getting updates from Samsung, which is nice (although it's only quarterly).
I don't know much about the mid to low tier phones, but are someone who buys higher end phones I can tell you that in my opinion 5G is not something worth buying a new phone for, and it's definitely not worth paying extra for a 5G plan..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know much about the mid to low tier phones, but are someone who buys higher end phones I can tell you that in my opinion 5G is not something worth buying a new phone for, and it's definitely not worth paying extra for a 5G plan..
Yep, I agree. The blazingly superfast speeds you might see in ads or on social media posts are typically limited to certain metropolitan areas. I'm in the heart of the Silicon Valley on T-Mobile, and the best speeds I usually see are still <100 Mbps on 5G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174