Question A14 5G wont connect to 5G on EE

ms1083

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
I hope this is the right place to ask.
I have an a14 5g unlocked (import from Hong kong). I can't get it to ever connect to EE 5G network. My EE sim in another phone does connect so all must be OK with EEs end. I have tested a three mobile sim in the phone and it does connect to 5G.
Why won't EE connect to 5G?
Any help? I wondering if its something to do with being a hong kong import? Anyone know any way to fix this?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I hope this is the right place to ask.
I have an a14 5g unlocked (import from Hong kong). I can't get it to ever connect to EE 5G network. My EE sim in another phone does connect so all must be OK with EEs end. I have tested a three mobile sim in the phone and it does connect to 5G.
Why won't EE connect to 5G?
Any help? I wondering if its something to do with being a hong kong import? Anyone know any way to fix this?
According to Samsung the specs for the Hong Kong market and the UK for 5G frequencies are the same:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a14-5g-red-64gb-sm-a146pdrdtgy/#specs

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a14-5g-silver-64gb-sm-a146pzsdeub/#specs

If you've chosen the HK 128 gig version these are the same.

Have you tried connecting to EE using the manual network selection option rather than auto to see if that works?

If not then I would contact your network provider to see what they have to say: EE if your contract is directly with them or with your MVNO if not.

I also wouldn't mention it's an import as they're likely to shut you down and simply blame it on the phone rather than actually looking in to it.

Reactions: Madd62

ms1083

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
According to Samsung the specs for the Hong Kong market and the UK for 5G frequencies are the same:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a14-5g-red-64gb-sm-a146pdrdtgy/#specs

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a14-5g-silver-64gb-sm-a146pzsdeub/#specs

If you've chosen the HK 128 gig version these are the same.

Have you tried connecting to EE using the manual network selection option rather than auto to see if that works?

If not then I would contact your network provider to see what they have to say: EE if your contract is directly with them or with your MVNO if not.

I also wouldn't mention it's an import as they're likely to shut you down and simply blame it on the phone rather than actually looking in to it.

Thank you so much.
I have had multiple discussions with EE. Level 1 and level 2 tech. They say all good their end. Asked for me to try sim in somebod else's phone and when I did that it connected to 5G no problem. So that would suggest the phone (but doesn't explain why three sim card works on 5g in the phone).
Cell mapper says 5G DCNR (eps) restricted true, no idea if that means anything.
Only thing that is left a question with EE is that they say my IMEI number is not recognised on their system but they don't think that matters.
Strangly their system thinks my phone is a a14 (No 5g capable) rather than a14 5g.
So all in all EE think it's my phone blocking or not picking up or allowing the connection.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Laura, it's probably something to do with lack of certification of that phone variant on the EE network. What's the other phone you said that does work using that SIM? Did you get that one from EE, or was it originally intended for your region?

ms1083

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
The other phone I tried was a UK unlocked android phone in an independent phone shop.
Is there any work around making mine work or do I just have to wait until I buy a new one and next time I will get it from a UK retailer rather than online phone shop offering cheap international unlocked phones!
Other than no 5g just on EE it works great and for its price is a great.phone, i get 4G+ and my current plan limits speed to 100mps anyway so 5G prob won't make a lot of difference, its still annoying though that it won't connect.

ms1083

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Thank you so much for your help.
So would I be right in assuming the phone's hardware 5g band is same in uk and HK so should in theory pick up UK 5G? If so I guess its a software/certificate issue so might future android updates fix it?
Still not sure why it connects to 3 mobile 5G but not EE. Maybe they use different 5G bands? Or maybe it's EE blocking my phone because it's not sending the right certication to them whereas three mobile don't mind that?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Having had a bit of a look in to this I would suggest having a look through the Vodafone post underneath, specifically the reply from garetc @ 26-06-2020 11:55 AM

He also had the same issue which he finally had resolved, although I have no idea what Vodafone may or may not have done apart from de-provisioning the SIM.

The 5G frequencies are the same regardless of it being an HK model and my personal view is that it's not a certification issue. If it was then I would expect the phone not to connect at all and as you can connect to 4G - which is required for 5G - then this indicates to me it's an EE issue. Others may disagree.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay...ted-quot-on-5G-Unlimited-Max-Plan/m-p/2659434

Reactions: B. Diddy

ms1083

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Hi, Thank you all so much. I have contacted tech help for the Samsung in HK (as UK won't help), they said it is compatable with the following spectrums: - How do I work out what EE use? Does EE use the same all over the UK or does it vary by location, how can I work out what they use in my location (I have tested it in (EX15, TA24, TA1, TA21 postcodes and nothing) - maybe it would work in a city or less rural area if the frequencies/spectrum are different there?

Sub 6 FDD (5G)/ Sub 6 TDD (5G)
N1(2100), N5(850), N41(2500),N78(3500)
FDD-LTE (4G)
B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B17(700), B20(800),B26(850),B28(700),B66(AWS-3)
TD-LTE (4G)
B38(2600),B40(2300),B41(2500)

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I've re-checked the 5G frequency specs listed on the Samsung HK and UK websites for the A14 5G on the links I gave and both are the same.

There are some differences between the 5G frequencies given there and those you have given here. Either their website is wrong or the information you have been given is.

5G requires 4G to operate which isn't the issue you have. I can see this is just going to run and run so I have the following, final suggestion as an A/B test.

If there's someone you know (you might have to ask around) who has a 5G contract plan with EE (not an MVNO who's using EE) and briefly explain the situation to them.

If you were then to kindly ask them would they mind if you popped there SIM in to your phone so you can test whether the issue is actually with your phone or EE.

Have your phone switched off beforehand and then when you turn it back on and after a couple of moments when your phones settings re-configure you'll have the answer.

***IMPORTANT EDIT***: I've just had a quick re-read and realised I totally missed doing this at the start, for which I give my apologies (I'm almost 66 so I do have the occasional brain block).

Check the EE coverage tracker here - https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee

I have no idea where you live but you mentioned area EX15. Using EX15 1AA as a random example there is no 5G coverage.

Likewise, TA1 1AF, no 5G coverage. That, I think, is the issue you probably have.

Last edited:

ms1083

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
I think I may have found the issue.
According to Samsung my exact model doesn't receive n28 band which I believe is the band EE use in rural areas. I will wait until I go to Bristol next as EE tend to use the n78 band in cities and my phone is supposed to be compatable with that band.
There is definitely good 5g coverage here (and my sim gets EE 5g in someone else's phone), you have to select a different phone to mine on the ee coverage map as that system doesn't think the a14 5g gets 5g so says no signal.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000