How can KasperskyTabletSecurity be fc'd?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the "Manage applications," I discovered a place ("Application info") to "Force stop" Kaspersky Tablet Security; however each time I force stop it, it immediately again launches. :( :( Ohhhhh, how I despise meself for ever activating it! I am sooooo ready to begin using a different security software . . . but I fear two security apps mayn't play well together.

Does someone have info to share about this?

EDIT: I asked about this in the Toshiba Thrive forums but no one replied. I probably should have asked here first. :) :)

The Keither

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I never even touched the icon of Kaspersky and it is constantly running in the foreground. You cannot kill it. If I kill the process it comes back.

Kinda the definition of malware, huh? Ah the irony.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I turn my Thrive OFF at my bedtime every night. Every 2-3 days I find that it's been booted during the night by a Kaspersky scan or a Kaspersky update which decreases the battery's charge when I'm expecting a full charge to start the day. The Kaspersky 30 days free trial---which has really been a trial for me---expires today. I intend to get either McAfee Mobile Security or Lookout to replace the painfully irritating Kaspersky.

Can't Kaspersky be INactivated? I sooooo want to totally remove every tidbit of Kaspersky from my Thrive. I've heard/read nothing positive regarding Kaspersky; why did reliable Toshiba choose the annoyingly subpar Kaspersky for the otherwise terrific Thrive?

My main QUESTION is: Will a conflict ensue betwixt Kaspersky and its (Lookout or McAfee) replacement?

I also wonder whether the Kaspersky software is the/a cause of the random waking from sleep mode that so many Thrive users have experienced . . .

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So, Kaspersky's 30-day trial expired on my Thrive today---and how I wish Kaspersky itself had expired! (on my Thrive, that is)

Although K is now not included in my list of running apps, it continues to immediately relaunch when I "Force stop" it. In the notifications area is this message in pink text:
Kaspersky Tablet Security runs in limited functionality mode.
Surely, this pink message won't remain on my Thrive forevvvvver!

I refuse to believe K won't leave . . . A way to get rid of this app must exist . . .

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I sought assistance from Kaspersky regarding its persistent security app on my Thrive; here is the reply:

Hello,

The Kaspersky Tablet Security application that is preinstalled on your Toshiba Thrive cannot be removed. The manufacture of your device has prohibit the ability to remove the preinstalled applications including the Kaspersky Tablet Security application. If you have any questions about your device, please contact manufacturer at Toshiba Support - Homepage

Thank you,

George Oliveira | Home and Small Office Technical Support Engineer | Kaspersky Lab Americas

So now, I wonder what Toshiba will say about this . . . if anything.

I had wanted to recommend the Thrive to my colleagues at the college for which I teach; however they'd never purchase a device that forces users to retain a particular security app. :(

Have ya'll read the Permissions for the Kaspersky Tablet Security? I was shocked to see such items as:

can modify calendar
can read and write contact data
can manage the accounts list
can discover known accounts
etcetera

So, I am thinking Toshiba may have made a good financial deal with Kaspersky (and the other apps that we cannot remove) at the privacy expense of Thrive purchasers.

Particularly if I'm not going to use an app, I don't want it watching my personal data for its developers or for the device manufacturer (and no tellin' for whoever else's monetary profit).

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Can u root the thrive yet? If can id remove it. Only thing I need is lookout.

Yo, I was afraid someone would say to root it! ;) I believe someone has rooted the Thrive but I've never messed with my devices in that manner; I kinda always thought rootin' was for pigs (as in Razorbacks). ;) However, at this point I'm about ready to learn how; just don't want to forfeit the Thrive warranty . . .

I wouldn't know where to begin to look for rooting instructions (xda-dev perhaps?) or if I could follow the instructions, and I have no idea what occurs in its innards when a device is rooted.

Besides my learnin' lots, what are the positive possibilities for a rooted Thrive?

HippyRandall

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If you root you can use titanium backup to uninstall it. Also, if you are rooted there is an update.zip on thrive forums dot org that removes the bloat like kaspersky

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using tapatalk

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
That is excellent news, HRandall. ;) Someone brought to my attention that the expired Kaspersky is only a link---admittedly, a super bothersome link, but a link usurps considerably less device space than an app. Since I have no time with fall semester about to begin, I will forego learning how to root at this time . . . but I'd still like to gain info by reading others' rootin' stories. :)

P.S. Since its trial expired, the Kaspersky no longer turns on my Thrive---much to my relief.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Remove bloat or freeze custom roms, overclocking check this thread out for rooting.Thrive Easy Root - xda-developers

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

Yo, I installed McAfee Mobile Security a couple days ago. So far, it's behaving itself; however today it notified me:

Applications conflict
McAfee Security does not function properly with Kaspersky Tablet Security! Please uninstall KTS to avoid potential issues.

Tomorrow I shall begin studying how to root my Thrive. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45