How do I get Wikipedia onto a micro sd card?

PeterS22

Oct 7, 2022
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, with a 256gb micro sd card.

As the card isn't being used very much, I thought I'd download Wikipedia onto it. I've looked at apps that can download Wikipedia, but the one I installed (Kiwix) doesn't seem to let you choose where to store a download.

So, can anyone tell me how I can get Wikipedia onto my micro sd card, in such a way that it's searchable? Thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Apps shouldn't be installed to the SD card. The way the apps are designed, they can quickly corrupt the cards due to the amount of data writing and rewriting they do. SD cards are meant to be a write once/read many type storage medium for independent files (music, videos, documents, etc). They are also much slower than the internal storage.

Android did once have an option to mount the SD card as adoptable storage, treating it the same as shared internal storage, but it caused many problems and generally seen as a bad idea. It use to be fairly easy to move apps to the SD card as well, but that has been removed as a built in option, and any update would move it back to internal storage anyway. Even the parts moved onto the card would vary and may not save much internal storage space.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, with a 256gb micro sd card.

As the card isn't being used very much, I thought I'd download Wikipedia onto it. I've looked at apps that can download Wikipedia, but the one I installed (Kiwix) doesn't seem to let you choose where to store a download.

So, can anyone tell me how I can get Wikipedia onto my micro sd card, in such a way that it's searchable? Thanks.
I agree with Mooncatt.

But, what do you mean by "searchable" ?

The Wikipedia that you download as an app is just an interface. It's all of about 33 MB in size - a drop in the bucket of your internal memory. Even if that memory is on the lean side (say, 32 GB, but I don't actually know what that Galaxy Tab typically has). When you load it up and look stuff up, all the information is being downloaded from the Wikipedia site. That's why you see the same thing in the app as you do if you went to the site through a browser on your PC.

The app is basically a custom internet browser that browses just the Wikipedia site.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Apps shouldn't be installed to the SD card. The way the apps are designed, they can quickly corrupt the cards due to the amount of data writing and rewriting they do. SD cards are meant to be a write once/read many type storage medium for independent files (music, videos, documents, etc). They are also much slower than the internal storage.

Android did once have an option to mount the SD card as adoptable storage, treating it the same as shared internal storage, but it caused many problems and generally seen as a bad idea. It use to be fairly easy to move apps to the SD card as well, but that has been removed as a built in option, and any update would move it back to internal storage anyway. Even the parts moved onto the card would vary and may not save much internal storage space.

I don't think they want to install the Wikipedia app to SD card... I get the impression they want to download and keep the entire actual Wikipedia database. Like, all the articles and entries lol.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they want to install the Wikipedia app to SD card... I get the impression they want to download and keep the entire actual Wikipedia database. Like, all the articles and entries lol.
I kinda thought that as well because I wasn't aware they had an app (much less apps from third parties). When I saw the existence of the app, I figured I'd give benefit of the doubt. If the OP wants the entire site, it'll take up just a bit more than what that micro-SD card can hold. Lol

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I kinda thought that as well because I wasn't aware they had an app (much less apps from third parties). When I saw the existence of the app, I figured I'd give benefit of the doubt. If the OP wants the entire site, it'll take up just a bit more than what that micro-SD card can hold. Lol

Yep he's going to have to strap a server on his back lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter