How do I stop the 4.3 update notifications on my Verizon Galaxy S3?

mcf57

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1. All is working good. I recently got a notification to upgrade it to (assumingly) the Android 4.3 update. I keep deferring it, but it asks this every 24hrs. For certain reasons, I want to just stay on 4.1 for now. The phone is NOT rooted so is there ANY way to stop these 4.3 update notifications? an app, settings, etc. I can't seem to find a way to stop it (other than delaying it once per day).

Last edited by a moderator:

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do I stop the 4.3 update notifications on my S3?

I have a (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1. All is working good. I recently got a notification to upgrade it to (assumingly) the Android 4.3 update. I keep deferring it, but it asks this every 24hrs. For certain reasons, I want to just stay on 4.1 for now. The phone is NOT rooted so is there ANY way to stop these 4.3 update notifications? an app, settings, etc. I can't seem to find a way to stop it (other than delaying it once per day).
I think there's an option to stop auto-updating somewhere in the settings.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

You chose the 'Ignore' button and it's prompting you every day?
Can you find the SDM application and disable it?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

mcf57

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

SDM application? Sorry, but not sure what that lingo is referring to and/or short for.

mcf57

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

OK, I decided to just call Verizon about this. According to them & since this is basically a Samsung update, there is NO way to stop the daily update notifications. I will have to keep on deferring it. The rep also seemed to indicate that even if I keep deferring it, the update will eventually get pushed through automatically at some point. Not sure how true either of these claims are, but looks like I may be out of luck and get upgraded to 4.3 without any say in it.

The main reason I don't want to upgrade right now is because I have the FoxFi wifi tethering app working perfectly on my S3 for now. From my understanding, it won't work on Jelly Bean 4.3...unless that has changed recently. I read that it can work via a bluetooth connection, but its not as fast. For now, I would like to keep the option for wifi on the road for my tablet.

VeeArSix

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

OK, I decided to just call Verizon about this. According to them & since this is basically a Samsung update, there is NO way to stop the daily update notifications. I will have to keep on deferring it. The rep also seemed to indicate that even if I keep deferring it, the update will eventually get pushed through automatically at some point. Not sure how true either of these claims are, but looks like I may be out of luck and get upgraded to 4.3 without any say in it.

The main reason I don't want to upgrade right now is because I have the FoxFi wifi tethering app working perfectly on my S3 for now. From my understanding, it won't work on Jelly Bean 4.3...unless that has changed recently. I read that it can work via a bluetooth connection, but its not as fast. For now, I would like to keep the option for wifi on the road for my tablet.
FoxFi works fine w/ 4.3, I'm actually using it after the 4.3 update to reply to this message. However there's a certificate that needs to be installed that requires a lock screen. But there's a work around for the lock screen also, it's all listed on the details on their app page.

droidme2

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

My phone is rooted. Froze SDM 1.0 with titanium. no more popups :)

Not mine. Credit to Hi_Tech_Redneck

Ratchet

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

Per GSDer, I went in and renamed the SDM.apk to SDM.bak. No more notification nonsense. :)

name1607

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Go to Settings, About device, Software update, uncheck the box Auto update.
Or maybe stop the Software update process (Settings, Application management, swipe to running, software update, stop), but this might stop all apps from updating, might get reloaded automatically and will restart once you restart your phone.

4.3 on S3 sucks, I don't like it very much.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

This was discussed in a recent thread, quite simple to do actually... and no rooting required! Go to Settings/Application Manager/All (swipe right twice) /scroll down the list until you see SDM/tap it/force close. If you restart your phone, you will have to repeat the process.

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

This was discussed in a recent thread, quite simple to do actually... and no rooting required! Go to Settings/Application Manager/All (swipe right twice) /scroll down the list until you see SDM/tap it/force close. If you restart your phone, you will have to repeat the process.
My at&t note 2 doesn't have it. It has "at&t software update" but it won't let me stop or disable it:(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Another way to deal with it is:
- reboot into Recovery mode and wipe the cache
- reboot into the OS and accept the update
It'll fail (because when it tries to start the update process it won't be able to find the actual update.zip file - it's not there because you cleared the cache) and then it won't bother you to update again.

This worked on my Verizon SCH-i535 - YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796