How does Calendar compare to Datebk?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Is there anyone here who came from a Palm OS device, and was a user of the Pimlico Datebk calendar app? I'm using Datebk on a Treo, and it's my most important app by far. (I live and die by my calendar.)

Can anyone tell me how the calendar on the Hero compares in capabilities? I'm particularly interested in how it handles (or doesn't) floating events, repeating events, and alarms.

Many thanks,

Bob

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey Meyer, I remember you from Palm Central. I too am looking for the same apps that integrate like Datebk or Agendus. The developers are very responsive to their clients' requests and soon we will have the same PIM integration like we did with Palm.
Overall, I am finding the Android experience to be amazing.

1Pilot

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I as well am looking forward to a calendar with event icons similar to DB6. Also am amazed at the Android OS...these developers are incredible....Thanks Guys and Girls!!!

sspenser

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Any success finding one?

I am considering an Android replacement to my Treo 755p. I, too, live and die by my Datebk6 calendar, and especially like the fact that I can attach icons from the icon database to particular events. I've created a number of custom icons to facilitate this view.

I wrote to Pimlico and asked about Pimlical, but he says that he's really developing a complete "system" for both PC and handheld, so Pimlical won't sync with Exchange and that's a killer for me (even if/when it comes out for Android).

So - I'm looking for any and all leads for a Datebk replacement. If there's a good one, I'll take the plunge.

dr.who

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I love the Hero but the calendar is seriously lacking . I still carry my Treo around because of Datebk. There are a number of programs in development but nothing released yet which can compare.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I use a widget that has been awesome for me. Google calendar + google tasks + gtasks + pure calendar widget. Everything displays in agenda form on a widget sized to your liking.

MBaraz

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I am considering an Android replacement to my Treo 755p. I, too, live and die by my Datebk6 calendar, and especially like the fact that I can attach icons from the icon database to particular events. I've created a number of custom icons to facilitate this view.

I wrote to Pimlico and asked about Pimlical, but he says that he's really developing a complete "system" for both PC and handheld, so Pimlical won't sync with Exchange and that's a killer for me (even if/when it comes out for Android).

So - I'm looking for any and all leads for a Datebk replacement. If there's a good one, I'll take the plunge.

I have my Epic 4G Android 2.1 for about 2 weeks, this having replaced my Treo 755p. Be prepared to be disappointed. I had a Palm Pre before this and it is on eBay... The Treo is a mature product evolved over 15 years... many really useful business/productivity features I dearly miss. But the capabilities of DateBk6 are the most missed. The battery in my Treo is fully charged, the jury is still out.

Tobii1

Banned
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Be prepared to be disappointed.

Well said.

To give an example, I used to manage my calendar on the device when I was using the 650. Now I use Outlook to actually manage my calendar and only use the on device's calendar for reference. I jot down notes in another app and create the events back home.

Yes, it's that bad. Can't believe it's a 15-year backstep.

ABMD

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Datebk 6

I just want to acknowledge what everyone else said, after multiple Treos and Datebk6 having swithched to Android- its like going back 10yrs with my choice of calendar optons for my Samsung Epic 4G. The best program I have found is Calendar Pad Pro- but its no match for Datebk6.
For me its a sharp phone and allot of programs I enjoy but after close to 4months I still find android framented and it does not have "everything at my fingertips" feel of my Treo. I too have to visit my Treo often to just feel like what a smart phone can be.
Lets hope HP-Palm will do something.

jacobh

Jan 2, 2011
angryapesgame.com
I too have an Epic 4g, and came from a Palm 755p. I can also understand the pains that many of you are describing with not having the full featured control of the Palm. I find the build in calendar to be lacking, compared with Agendus on my Palm.

The best calendar app I've found on Android so far is Jorte. It has integrated task views with calendar, and even has Google Tasks sync integration. It even has the best calendar widget I've found as well, that displays a lot of info in a small space. It syncs with Google calendar too, so anything updated in one updates in all places.

I'm using this along side Astrid, which syncs with Google Tasks as well, but has some more advanced options for tasks, such as repeating events, tags, etc. Some of these options don't carry across to Google Tasks but at least they don't get removed from Astrid, so the advanced functionalities are still available in Astrid.

This has been a good balance for me so far. For more alarm functionality like persistent alarms I'm currently trying out an addon program called Calendar Snooze. We'll see how that goes. By the way, all of the programs I mentioned are free.

Another interesting app I found is Pocket Informant. It has a nice integrated task view but syncs with Toodledo.com instead of Google Tasks. Its in beta right now, and will probably cost money after it's out of beta. The toodledo tasks seems like it has much more options than google tasks but I don't know if I like having a completely separate online service for tasks. There are lots of other programs that sync with Toodledo though, including desktop. Astrid doesn't sync with toodledo though, but it does sync with Producteev.com, which seems to have a little nicer online interface.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say regarding these apps and services? For me, sync alarms, and tasks integration are important things.

mrz80

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm just now making the transition from TX with DateBk5 to DroidX. Jury's still out on how happy I am about it. I came across CalendarPad, which is a really nice widget and a decent upgrade to the "stock" Android calendar. Next up, tasklist apps and figuring out an elegant way to integrate the Droid's contacts with my Evolution addressbook.

dhc2124

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Datebk6 for Android

It looks like Pimlico has a calendar for the Android. Is it that far behind the Palm version? I went from the Treo 650 to the Nokia N95 8G. The one program I really missed was the Datebk6 app. I would pay $20 bucks for the Android version of Datebk6 if it works as well as the Palm version. Do we need to get the word out to Android users of the power of Datebk6?

RB26

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up dhc2124, found it here:

Pimlico Software home page

Looks great, going to try it out tomorrow.

I've missed this so much, as the closest thing on my Pre was ubercalendar. (which BTW they did an excellent job).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29