How Does Facebook Know what Apps I Use?

andreich

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
I am using Google Chrome on my Samsung Galaxy S8 and I've never had the Android Facebook app installed (or at least I never signed in if it came pre-installed on the phone).
Looking at my ad preferences page in Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ads/preferences) I noticed that Facebook is aware of some of the apps that are installed on my phone (more specifically ComedyCentral, Foap and Moviepass). With that, I can only think that somehow Chrome allows sites (in this case facebook.com) access to information on my phone.
This seems to me like a serious privacy issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• snip_20180314125627.png
    snip_20180314125627.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 61

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't think it's Chrome that's to blame here, but the apps themselves. If you used the app with a FB login or are using the same e-mail address as your FB profile (and that might be in the ToS for each app), then that would be why FB is 'aware' of the apps you installed. And since FB login is VERY popular, I wouldn't be surprised.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you use the same e-mail for the app as for your FB account? Did you search for the app or manually started the installation from a browser? Cookies when visiting those sites might also be a factor.

andreich

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
No, not using the same e-mail as for my FB account and I installed the apps directly from the app store on the phone.
I think i see your point, those apps could have shared my info with FB and then FB could have matched that info with my profile using name, geography etc.
Anyway, I think there should be an easier explanation about how a site can gather personal information. Otherwise, I can't help but be suspicious about how that info was retrieved.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
If you have your browser on your PC logged into your google account and you have searched information or followed links from apps that open in chrome, then FB browser trackers will have picked up on it because of the syncing between chrome on multiple devices.
Try getting a no tracking add on for chrome on your PC.

Pastychomper

Apr 16, 2018
Visit site
Andreich, have you given Chrome permission to access your device's storage? If so please be aware that Facebook will record information about files on your 'phone (see below). Most (all?) of the apps that you've actually run will have generated at least one file to save settings in, even if the files are empty as yet, and if Facebook knows the name and location of each file then it knows what apps you have installed.

If Chrome is run without storage access then I don't know whether it will have access to other info about what's installed. It might do, in case you want to (for example) download a .pdf and have Chrome open a reader for you, and FB might well be able to query it that way.

I was reading Facebook's revised terms & "privacy" policy this morning, and it specifies that FB is allowed to collect the names of apps and the names of files on any device you log in from. Kudos to the EU for persuading FB to admit it.

As for the Facebook app, it is pre-installed on the S8 and there is no option to delete it. It can, however, be "disabled". As a fellow S8 user I'd be extremely interested to know if the app still sends info to Facebook and/or Samsung when it's disabled, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Facebook's policy did not specify that Facebook had to be allowed full access to the device, so I disabled the app and installed a new copy in my phone's secure folder. That way I still have the option of up/downloading files but I get to choose which files it can access. No doubt Facebook will realise this if they're paying attention, and if they don't like it they can always close my account.

Garywilson

Apr 3, 2018
Visit site
Facebook has very efficient and well-integrated system for collecting and sorting your information. Whenever you choose an app and give a gateway through Facebook or allow it to use your Facebook information, the Facebook takes the apps information in return and keeps it stored. And after all the scandal about the Facebooks role in privacy, its not a surprise if Facebook has all our information.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I disabled FB and chrome and turned off all permissions and notifications from my phone since I realised they both have tentacles/tracking that go right through phone. I've also disabled Google app. Use Firefox as my browser because of its privacy settings. Never login to anything using your Google or FB login.

9900Boldfan

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
If enough people complain then manufacturers may end up doing something about Facebook coming preinstalled on devices. No reason for manufacturers aside from money to allow Facebook to be pre-installed with no uninstall option on our devices. Those that want it can download it themselves. Not having Facebook preinstalled is great for end users who care about privacy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsu3hccKKw4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_pho...th_preinstalled_facebook_apps_-news-37454.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smuglur