How does the iPhone X compare to the Note?

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I like both and will be picking up the iPhone X. I don't discriminate and enjoy both. Each has there advantages over the other. I don't bash one or the other to justify my purchase.

You'll get different responses in an iPhone forum.

I can tell you this, iPhones have always had a better Video camera than any Android flagship's I've owned. I was pretty disappointed with the note 8 HD 60fps video. It's s still jittery when panning. Even the OIS is much better on the iPhone.

The Face ID is implemented totally different than Samungs. It uses 3D IR laser scanning so it authenticates the contours of your face and adapts to changes such as glasses, facial hair, hats, etc. This is the first time this has been used on a smartphones.

I also prefer gestures over physical buttons. Less moving parts to get worn out and eventually break.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
The Apple is for those that don't mind being limited to only Apple products, it's like living on a leash where you can only go as far as the leash allows.

The LG Stylo is really the only phone I'm aware of that tries to compete with the Note. It has a stylus at a much lower price point. Apple's advantage are its local stores where one can take the phone to take care of problems.

Samsung only has kiosks in Best Buy, and in my experience the employees know very little about the products. With Samsung if we have a problem, we usually have to mail it off unless we purchased it from a local carrier, and then they usually don't know much more than we do, us that live and work with the phone daily. If Samsung had local stores with a knowledgeable staff, I believe they would have a much larger market share. The Note series of phones just don't have an equal.

But it's a poor choice by Samsung to not include the "action memo" software. I have to get it from the Note 5 apk, which others on this board have so generously put a link to the directions to make that happen. That's what I did with the 7, and it will make my Note 8 the best sales and marketing tool I own. On a phone call you can take a note and it will be linked to the called phone number to remind you of the price quotes and products you discussed with that specific customer. A small note icon pops up whether they call you or you call them. You tap it and the notes you took on the last call with that customer are there. Also if something is going on with the customers family you take that note and you can mention it to help improve your relationship with that customer. This has increased my sales to more than pay for the phone many times over.

In addition the link to action software enables the user to draw a box around a number to call it, or add it to contacts as well. There is a work around, I did it with my Note 7 and it worked great, installing the Note 5 action memo software, so the Note 8 doesn't really have any competition that I'm aware of once this software is installed. We just shouldn't have to go to an old phone to get the software back that makes the note a tool that pays for itself. In this forum somewhere are directions to get link to action back, and an email address to someone at Samsung that possibly could get our link to action back the right way, with a simple update. I've sent an emails to them. But ever since I discovered the link to action was missing from the note 7 software, I've sent support several letters trying to get them to put out and support link to action in their stock software. It really does set the note apart as a great sales tool, not just a another phone. Most Note users are business users, not children playing with fancy hand written notes they can send to their friends. So to take a the best business feature away from the Note 8, and add a childrens toy with no business purpose to it is beyond me. The business features are how one can justify the high price.

Last edited:

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have owned both iPhone and Galaxy S/Note since inception but I lean heavily on the side of Samsung. I have a iPhone 7 Plus - and I feel that Apple brought out the iPhone 8 and 8Plus as a hedge to the iPhone X. I think the iPhone X will do well because of brand loyalty, but my personal feelings on it aren't so positive. I thought the edge to edge screen looked pretty cool at first, but then I didn't realize how annoying that divot on the top is until I started seeing video played on it in horizontal mode. Can that screen really be considered 5.8" with that missing part? Also, the lack of a home button in any form will take getting used to, as is the swiping down on each side of the screen to get notifications and the utility screen. I don't know - their slogan was welcome to the future, but I wasn't terribly wow'd by the X. Maybe I need to see it more in action.

Also, I read that in order to get fast charging, you need to buy a lightning to USB-C cable from Apple and then a USB-C charger from Apple to plug that cable in... coming out to like a total of $80? If this is true....... jeez. They should have used USB-C on the X.

But to be honest - like some folks echoed - I personally don't know how some people were waiting to see one before buying the other. Smartphones are such a big part of our lives and I think we are really vested in the ecosystem of these phones... If you prefer Android over iOS or vice versa, then the decision is already made. I guess what I'm saying is that to me, deciding on the Note 8 of the iPhone X seems almost the cart before the horse. Shouldn't you determine which ecosystem works best for you first?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It's different ecosystem, personally i enjoy using my different Android phones and at the same time love my Apple watch + iPhone combo. Have the 8+ ordered for pick up on 22nd and for sure will pick up the iPhone X. iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL will be my last phone purchases of the year hopefully until late next year.
I enjoy both iOS and Android, never understood why people fight over one or the other

Dude, how do you do it? I'm so jealous.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Dude, how do you do it? I'm so jealous.

Switching between ecosystem? I don't know from beginning I always had both iOS and Android so never got fully immersed in one or the other. It helps that I use Google services and everything I need from music, photos is in the cloud so it makes jumping from one to another seamless

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone x will be a great device for those that like iOS just like the note 8 is a great device for those that like Android. Honestly I donr think either device is better than the other they are just different. Some will love it he x will others will love the note. Truthfully I'm just happy apple is putting out something other than the 8/s. The iPhone x.

Lsucrazy

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The note8 with touchwiz made it real easy for me to convert from iOS to Android. I tried last year a low end LG smartphone and returned it as the ui was horrible.

Nougat Android samsung's apps and touchwiz is just like iOS. Easy to use and not much messing around.

A+ Samsung!
It's not TouchWiz anymore. It's "Samsung experience" lol.

They've come a long way from TouchWiz lol.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The terrible notch at the top of the phone

I just want to add that when Apple coded the control center and notifications to be pulled from each corner, this forced the phone to be 2 handed.

Less moving parts to get worn out and eventually break.

Isn't there a lot of new functions added to the power button? Like Siri, and such? That is probably going to add a lot of wear and tear to a button that is already used multiple time per day, unless Apple has a method to force the device to sleep by tapping the screen?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I just want to add that when Apple coded the control center and notifications to be pulled from each corner, this forced the phone to be 2 handed.

Yes.

But that notch interferes with viewing. It's so in-your-face and distracting. At least the tiny top and bottom bezels on my Note 8 disappear when I'm watching video.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Switching between ecosystem? I don't know from beginning I always had both iOS and Android so never got fully immersed in one or the other. It helps that I use Google services and everything I need from music, photos is in the cloud so it makes jumping from one to another seamless

No, I mean owning 4-5 different phones at once.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I was Apple all the way until I got an Android, which was the Note 3. Since then I have not touched another Apple phone. I just cannot justify the price for very little innovation.

I do have to give it to Apple though, there software is so integrated with their hardware that they function pretty flawlessly.

Same here. I'm a huge Apple fan. They make all around great products. That said, the lack of innovation with their mobile products is what brought me to Android - the Note series in particular. If it weren't for the Note, I'd likely still have an iPhone. Can't say I've missed my iPhone at all but I do miss the simplicity of connecting to my Mac/iTunes ecosystem.

I would freaking love life if Google created an actual desktop manager for Play like iTunes.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how Apple users get so confused on Android. It's not like anyone is doing quantum mechanics when using Android.

It's real. Some people just don't like change I reckon. My wife is a long time user whereas I jump between iOS and Android or even Windows phones seamlessly and often. Last year when the Galaxy s7 edge was released my wife fell for it on the TV ads and since she was due an upgrade she decided to jump ship. The phone arrived, she loved the hardware, turned it on and started setting it up and as soon as the first app asked the normal question of "use once/use always" she gave up and put it back in the box declaring she hated it and it was too complicated. Needless to say I was the new owner of the Galaxy s7 edge that night and she went and ordered the iPhone 7 Plus instead. I don't think she ever REALLY wanted to get along with it and looked for a reason to go back to what she was used to. She's not alone and I've heard people at work making similar complaints like when I asked how they like the new s8 and they'd reply "I hate it, the stupid thing keeps notifying me about closing apps I'm not even using to optimise them". For me and you, we know that's normal behaviour when Android optimises the apps for the first few days but for iPhone purists it's a headache. They just want things to work and not need any thought. I like Android because if there's something or a default app you don't like you can simply change it within reason but with iPhone it you get what you see and that's it. Some people seem to just like that simplicity.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

That's what I hate. They've turned the phone back into a two handed phone when it was Apple that swore by one handed use. Firstly by defending the iPhone 5 tall/skinny form factor then providing Reachability. Now they've removed Reachability and forcing 2 handed use again.

Soundman72

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
the iPhone 8 will not come with the features the iPhone X will have so trying to compare the note 8 against the iPhone 8 is pointless sorry but seriously they are different breed of animals.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I'm a huge Apple fan. They make all around great products. That said, the lack of innovation with their mobile products is what brought me to Android - the Note series in particular. If it weren't for the Note, I'd likely still have an iPhone. Can't say I've missed my iPhone at all but I do miss the simplicity of connecting to my Mac/iTunes ecosystem.

I would freaking love life if Google created an actual desktop manager for Play like iTunes.
I don't know if this is what you mean but Google has Play Music that you can use to manage your music on the PC.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone compared the two? I think the Note 8 hands down is the better device. Even the s8 is a better device.

Apple just now catching up to Samsung with wireless charging and facial recognition.

Just depends what you mean by better. Apple has the much better chip, the iphone 7 plus is probably faster than the note 8. The camera may even be better too. I like both ios and android. Can't wait for my note to be delivered Tuesday.

AnotherInternetGuy

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
It's funny. I was an iPhone-or-nothing guy for half a decade and literally upgraded to every new phone Apple released. Coming from Sony Ericsson PDAs with stylus iPhones made them feel obsolete.

Then I got a Galaxy S6 edge as an experiment: a brief foray into android until Apple make a new design. One with smaller bezels.

Fast forward to last week and it finally arrived: the bezeless iPhone. And I couldn't care less. I watched the event with cash in hand and an open mind. Then when it finished I took my cash into the nearest Samsung store and pre-ordered my note 8.

Apple need needed something game-changing to bring me back into the walled garden. iPhone X is just catch-up with fanfare.

Apple is like the super popular kid who turns up to the house party at 1AM, kicks the door down, and yells: "let the drinking begin!" with a giant keg.

It's a helluva entrance, and a welcome addition. But damn son. We've got more beer than Budweiser and we've been partying since lunchtime!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnsd84