How "future proofed" do you think the Note 9 is?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Truth be told, iPhones seem to stay relevant for an impressive period of time. Sadly, Android phones don't. That said, Samsung did put some umph into the Note 9. It should be able to maintain its own for a while but the consumer needs to judge what it needs vs what it wants. My issue with Androids is that it seems after a couple years, the devices religiously become notably slower and battery life tanks

Battery life tanks on iPhone as well though. Other than that they are work horses. I feel some Androids are getting there but as we all know the updates do not go as long.

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Truth be told, iPhones seem to stay relevant for an impressive period of time. Sadly, Android phones don't. That said, Samsung did put some umph into the Note 9. It should be able to maintain its own for a while but the consumer needs to judge what it needs vs what it wants. My issue with Androids is that it seems after a couple years, the devices religiously become notably slower and battery life tanks

I can't stay with the same device for over an year. I'd get bored with it. How do people with iphones not get bored using it for years?

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

The in phone battery health monitor puts my iPhone'7 "real" battery maximum capacity at 84% so I dont see how that's good.

bryantj3303

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
This is a question I have. I bought my first Samsung (S8) last year, and wondered what would happen at the end of the 3 year cycle with a perfectly working phone. Would it just no longer receive updates and would be more vulnerable to malware? Or become slow and glitchy? Then again, I normally only keep my phones 2-3 years so it may be a mood point, but something I am curious about.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Future-proof depends on the manufacturer and how willing they are to support the device in the future.

IMO 5 years is asking too much. A solid 2 I think. With the 3rd year you're feeling the glitches and lag due to less than stellar support.

You want an example of future-proof. I have an iPhone 6 and also a 6s I still keep around. One in case I need a backup phone if my main phone fails. The other I'm actually still using as my running phone being smaller and thinner to run with.

The reason it's been future-proof? Because since the 4 years since release with iOS 8, it's gotten every major update including every incremental update in between, currently rocking iOS 12 and, after 4 years, the OS and apps still run pretty smoothly and can probably reach year 5 no problem. One battery still showing fresh and other paid $30 in Apple battery replacement program.

I have been surprised how well Samsung has been with updates on the Note 8 but YMMV... look at the complaints S9 owners had with updates in the beginning. Phones running great at 1 year mark with no lag and such so I believe will have a solid second year. Third year, we'll see. I think we're in unchartered territory already with the Note 8 being one of the first phones from Samsung to not get hit with the dreaded lag after a year.

This right here. It's a shame that the standard now is "2 years and that's it."

Samsung specifically. They heavily modify the OS, so they do have the power to squeeze extra performance out if they choose. At the end of the day, I know it's a business, but customer loyalty is really a thing. There will always be customers who will want to upgrade to the latest. Then you have the market who is more conscious. Loyal to the brand, but not needing to upgrade every 6 months.

My 6S is going strong on year 3, and will probably do so for the next 2 for a total of 5, I don't know why it's taboo to expect the same kind of longevity on the Note 9 given it's specs.

That's like the sole thing I like about Apple. You get a good return on your investment. Samsung is SLOWLY getting there, but obviously not there if so many people think this phone is going to be crap in 2 years or less. Lol

I guess I'll just enjoy it for what it is now and see what kind of performance we get on Pie.

I did a blind install of iOS 12 and had no idea it was an under the hood performance update. The 6S actually got faster compared to iOS 11 which completely debunks the phones get slower if you update.

Call me crazy, but I would like to see this kind of improvement with the Note 9. I could have went with the Max for guaranteed good lifetime performance, but I love what Samsung has done with Experience. I like living on both sides of the field, but you really see the shortcomings of either or when you have both as daily drivers.

Samsung features on Apple hardware would be a dream. Lol

Apple Note 10. Let's make this happen.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
This is a question I have. I bought my first Samsung (S8) last year, and wondered what would happen at the end of the 3 year cycle with a perfectly working phone. Would it just no longer receive updates and would be more vulnerable to malware? Or become slow and glitchy? Then again, I normally only keep my phones 2-3 years so it may be a mood point, but something I am curious about.

I came from the Note 4. It stopped at Marshmallow and continued to receive security updates. At one point I just rooted it since support stopped. It still works perfectly fine. It had an older version of Touchwiz so I was missing out on all the new features and glam. Samsung Experience just brought so much more.

After modifications it ran quicker than it did out of the box. I just got tired of finding the perfect mix of custom ROM and custom kernel.

The reason why I upgraded is because the home button is going bad. Responds only 90% of the time it seems. And the speaker doesn't work so I could only make calls on a headset. If it wasn't for that I would push for another year, but it kinda stopped working as a phone. Lol.

The software and performance is still fine. The hardware is conking out.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I think that the only thing that may make this phone obsolete quickly would be the rollout of 5G. Barring data speed disadvantages though, this phone should be quite usable for some time.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think that the only thing that may make this phone obsolete quickly would be the rollout of 5G. Barring data speed disadvantages though, this phone should be quite usable for some time.
I don't think a phone getting 150 mb/s download will be obsolete once 300-500 mb/s speeds are out.
Look at the iPhone as an example.
Depending on your situation, most people probably use wifi more than their carrier for most of their data usage anyways.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: How "future proofed" do you think the Note 9 is?

Na -- with tech if you wait for the next big thing you will literally be waiting every single time.
IME every smartphone I've tried to use more than 2 years gets slower than tolerable. Factory reset makes no dif. I don't believe it is possible to future proof a cell phone to still be tolerable for more than 3 years. Whether it's planned obsolescence or app software updates for more modern hardware my bottom line is don't expect to use a phone much more than 2 years if you do much more than talk text email

Virtually everyone crazy enough to. spend hours talking about cell phones HERE will WANT 5G the second it. is available. We will be chomping at the bit! LOL

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

IME every smartphone I've tried to use more than 2 years gets slower than tolerable. Factory reset makes no dif. I don't believe it is possible to future proof a cell phone to still be tolerable for more than 3 years. Whether it's planned obsolescence or app software updates for more modern hardware my bottom line is don't expect to use a phone much more than 2 years if you do much more than talk text email

Keyword: tolerable. Your tolerance may be lower then mine and vice versa.. it doesn't mean it isn't usable. I have a friend using a cracked screen Note 4. Bought batteries and still uses it to this day for watching Twitch, texting, calling, etc. -- he refuses to upgrade since it powers up. Could I do that? Absolutely not... but he can.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Keyword: tolerable. Your tolerance may be lower then mine and vice versa.. it doesn't mean it isn't usable. I have a friend using a cracked screen Note 4. Bought batteries and still uses it to this day for watching Twitch, texting, calling, etc. -- he refuses to upgrade since it powers up. Could I do that? Absolutely not... but he can.
I bet he doesn't spend hours here chatting about phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I bet he doesn't spend hours here chatting about phones.

Exactly but you are arguing tolerance versus usability. They aren't the same. The phone still works but you simply can't stand it after seeing that new Note on the shelf and review video lol.

You can't argue a phone not being usable simply because your preference is not to handle the slow downs on an aging device. Maybe for YOU it isn't but to say it doesn't work is just .. not true.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Virtually everyone crazy enough to. spend hours talking about cell phones HERE will WANT 5G the second it. is available. We will be chomping at the bit! LOL

Pffft. 5G is yesterday's news. I won't be satisfied unless the next phones out have 6G.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Pffft. 5G is yesterday's news. I won't be satisfied unless the next phones out have 6G.

5G will be cool but waiting for it now is a tad soon. It was like LTE. We all knew it was coming but it took years of work to get it done.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Obviously the OEM's want you to upgrade every year, That said the Note 9 seems very well made to me (I expect this from a Note as I have with every note generation) I think If you take good care of your Note 9 it should have the staying power you had with the Note 4. (As to the concerns about 5G, it's a new standard that will roll out over the next year +, I really doubt that current 4g devices and similar with suddenly stop working or be any less usable given the revenue stream they represent to the carriers, not everyone upgrades every year or jumps on the new tech)

Cheers,

BR

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Exactly but you are arguing tolerance versus usability. They aren't the same. The phone still works but you simply can't stand it after seeing that new Note on the shelf and review video lol.

You can't argue a phone not being usable simply because your preference is not to handle the slow downs on an aging device. Maybe for YOU it isn't but to say it doesn't work is just .. not true.
You miss my point. It is that those of us HERE on this forum will not tolerate it. Tolerable? A prepaid flip phone from a drugstore is tolerable to millions but we're talking flagships in this thread.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You miss my point. It is that those of us HERE on this forum will not tolerate it. Tolerable? A prepaid flip phone from a drugstore is tolerable to millions but we're talking flagships in this thread.

Most likely not but it was talked about that the OP upgraded from a Note 4. So the fact they held onto the Note 4 would suggest they could handle a phone over two years old.

You are literally going off the deep end on "ONLY US HERE!!!!" and not taking anything into account from what the OP actually said and going off that. Not sure why...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

My G5 & V20 still cranks like the day I took them out of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiny_2084