How is GPS after the lock?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I am very aware of the "issues" with the Triumph GPS, the slow lock, and lack of AGPS.

But once you get a lock with it (using GPSfix or something to speed up the process), how is the GPS? Does it stay locked, or does it drop now and then? Does the lack of AGPS affect any other aspect of the GPS usage, or just the initial satellite lock time?

My Optimus V is getting a little long in the tooth, and it's almost time to move on. But the one thing about the OV, is that GPS is incredibly quick to lock, never drops or loses connection. It's pretty much bullet proof. And I use the GPS at least every other day.

OverByter

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I find the gps on my unit to quite good after the initial ~1 min or so to get a cold lock. Never had it drop on me and subsequent warm locks are much faster to acquire, about 15-20 secs or so..

dhwagner

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I use my triumph for 3 things mainlly - and as a phone is not in the list (phone use is #4).
1. GPS - I use a program called CoPilot and once I get a lock < 1 minute it works great. This program works great because the maps are on the SD Card (uses TomTom system maps) and it requires no data connection. I frequently travel out in areas where there is no data or phone connection but GPS seems to always stay connected and CoPilot works.

2. I use my Triumph to read EBooks

3. I use my Triumph to listen to Audio Books

4. then as a phone.

So yes GPS works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484