How long would you wait before you root?

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I should be getting my Rezound tomorrow and am needless to say hyped.

I have a Thunderbolt which I have rooted and flash ROMs all the time.
I bought my TB off craiglist for a steal so I didn't use an upgrade and didn't hesitate to root. I did wait till the Gingerbread release because I new it was just around the corner at the time I bought it. As soon as I got that update I rooted and never looked back.

I am actually using an upgrade for the Rezound so First I want to make sure there are no factory defects on the phone in case I need to exchange it. Secondly with the released ICS leaks I'm wondering how close are we to the OTA release.

Just curious how long most waited before rooting their phone. Did you wait a week or so to make sure there wasn't any factory defects (in case it needs to be returned)? Knowing my luck a lemon is always possible. Would you suggest I hold off a while to see if the OTA comes out soon?

The one thing about flashing ROMS I learned is it is a pain trying a new one after you have the phone set up the way you like with all your downloaded apps.

I don't even have the phone yet but I'm all over the Rezound forums already:)

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted as soon as it was possible. If you are worried about getting a lemon just delay all that till you feel comfortable.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Biggest thing to worry about is the battery heating up. I'd run the new phone hard, charging, streaming youtube over 4g, do that for a chunk of time, check to make sure your staying under 130, preferably under 120 degrees. There have been dudes over 140, don't want that. I'd say if it passes that test, and the screen is good, your probably ok. Don't worry about ICS being around the corner if your going to root anyway. Official just gives the devs better code to work with. Look at what Scott has done with his roms with ty leaked non-working code?

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Biggest thing to worry about is the battery heating up. I'd run the new phone hard, charging, streaming youtube over 4g, do that for a chunk of time, check to make sure your staying under 130, preferably under 120 degrees. There have been dudes over 140, don't want that. I'd say if it passes that test, and the screen is good, your probably ok. Don't worry about ICS being around the corner if your going to root anyway. Official just gives the devs better code to work with. Look at what Scott has done with his roms with ty leaked non-working code?

What app do you use to monitor the battery temp? Thanks for the great advice.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a big fan of extended controls. The battery toggle can be made to take you to battery usage, or battery stats. The stats will tell you all the critical stuff. Also dialing *#*#4636#*#* will take you to a battery stat page.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Got the Rezound yesterday. So far so good. Don't think I'll be able to make it without the extended battery though. I guess I got to use to the one on my Thunderbolt (24 hours no problem). I know I was playing a lot yesterday but 7 hours will not work for me. Gonna see if Verizon still has them on sale today.

Temps have peaked in the high 90 degree range while streaming music and videos. I have heard of improved battery life after root but I think that I am gonna wait at least the 14 day trial period to make sure there are no mechanical defects in my phone before I entertain that.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine wasn't out of the box for more than10 minutes before I started unlocking the bootloader. Rooted the next day but only because it was getting late and I needed to go to bed (read as wife was giving me grief about staying up till the wee hours playing with my phone)

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine wasn't out of the box for more than10 minutes before I started unlocking the bootloader. Rooted the next day but only because it was getting late and I needed to go to bed (read as wife was giving me grief about staying up till the wee hours playing with my phone)

Trust me it is hard holding back but since I used one of my upgrades on this I want to make sure its not a lemon. I'm already missing flashing ROMS and MODS on my Thunderbolt almost daily. I asked I don't mind if I mess it up but I don't want one messed up out of the box.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I waited 1 1/2 years before rooting my DInc. After flashing CM7, I kicked myself for waiting so long to root.

That said, I plan to wait several months before rooting the Rezound - until 1) I hear some really hot news in the ROM world, or 2) I absolutely need something like mobile hotspot, which I don't have on my stock Rezound.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Gonna see if Verizon still has them on sale today.

If Verizon doesn't have it (I bought the last one in my city), the shop at htcpedia.com has it for about $34, still. Better price than what I found at Amazon.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon doesn't have it (I bought the last one in my city), the shop at htcpedia.com has it for about $34, still. Better price than what I found at Amazon.

I lucked up because my local Verizon store still had it at half price.
It is big!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110