How to change new SIM card

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am currently using 4G SIM card in my Samsung Galaxy Note8.
I will be receiving a new 5G SIM card and the 4G SIM card will be deactivated once the 5G SIM card activates.

Q1. Can I use 5G SIM card in Samsung Galaxy Note8? Is it just insert 5G SIM card and it will work?

Q2. What data/apps/info/history will I lose when I switch from 4G (old card) to 5G (new card) SIM card?

Q3. What steps to do (backup) before my old SIM card deactivate so I will ensure I have all the same items when I use the new SIM card?

Q4. After the old SIM card is deactivated, can I still access the details inside the old SIM card?

Thanks

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you fully understand what a SIM card is, all it does is provide an identification for your line of service, it doesn't store data, there won't be anything to view on it after you change it. It also won't impact the information on your phone in any way.

Your SIM needs to be activated by your carrier, if it's not active and you put it in the phone you won't have service on the phone.

Also not sure why you're getting a new 5G SIM for a Note 8, it isn't a 5G capable phone.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Not too sure but I think SMS or phone call history is stored in SIM card.

The 5G SIM card comes free with my new plan, I was thinking just accept it since it is free and I can use it in a 5G phone when I buy a 5G phone next time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

The 5G SIM card comes free with my new plan, I was thinking just accept it since it is free and I can use it in a 5G phone when I buy a 5G phone next time.
You can use it but you don't want SMS, call history, contact on a sim card , use Google to cloud solutions to back those things up.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

New plan makes sense for a new SIM. I worked at Verizon for 4 years, I can't speak for every carrier but I know there was no data like SMS stored on a SIM card once 4G became a thing with Verizon.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On your Note8, open your Contacts app and look at the various accounts/locations where contacts are stored. Do you see a SIM category? If not, then you won't have to worry about losing any contacts. Older phones had the option to save contacts to the SIM, but I think that's been pretty much abandoned these days (although I think phones still may give an option to export a contact to a SIM card, which could then be imported to another phone -- that's different from actually using the SIM for contact storage).