What happens after moving SIM card from old phone to new phone?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Current old phone is only able to stay on a few seconds/minutes and it will auto shut down.

A) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone, can I install whatsapp in the new phone? Old phone has already installed whatsapp using the same SIM card.
B) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone, what data will I be missing from the old phone?
C) If I take out SIM card of old phone and put into new phone and use the new phone for some months, then I repair the old phone, can I still get back all the data e.g. whatsapp/sms/photos... in the old phone?

Thank you.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
All your data will still be on your old phone, unless you backed it up somewhere. Sim cards don't hold those types of backups.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp in old phone?

Whatsapp was installed in old phone for a long time, if I take out SIM card from old phone and insert into my new phone and install whatsapp in my new phone, then if I switch on the old phone (without any SIM card) will I be able to see old whatsapp messages on the old phone? Will old whatsapp messages be appearing in the old phone without any SIM card or with a new SIM card?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Whatsapp in old phone?

Whatsapp was installed in old phone for a long time, if I take out SIM card from old phone and insert into my new phone and install whatsapp in my new phone, then if I switch on the old phone (without any SIM card) will I be able to see old whatsapp messages on the old phone? Will old whatsapp messages be appearing in the old phone without any SIM card or with a new SIM card?
Once you download Whatsapp to new device and get the code it texts and set-up it will transfer everything from back up over and don't have access any longer on old device unless u set-up out the code from text all over again

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Once you download Whatsapp to new device and get the code it texts and set-up it will transfer everything from back up over and don't have access any longer on old device unless u set-up out the code from text all over again

"don't have access any longer on old device unless u set-up out the code from text all over again" what do you mean by this? Will old messages in the old phone disapppear after whatsapp is set up in new phone?

I read this "Use a new SIM card with the same number to activate WhatsApp on your new phone. This is the fastest way to deactivate your account on the stolen phone. WhatsApp can only be activated with one phone number on one device at a time." https://faq.whatsapp.com/449960055665529/?locale=en_US

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

"don't have access any longer on old device unless u set-up out the code from text all over again" what do you mean by this? Will old messages in the old phone disapppear after whatsapp is set up in new phone?

I read this "Use a new SIM card with the same number to activate WhatsApp on your new phone. This is the fastest way to deactivate your account on the stolen phone. WhatsApp can only be activated with one phone number on one device at a time." https://faq.whatsapp.com/449960055665529/?locale=en_US
Whatsapp is in the cloud so once you used the same number and google account it can be entered on any device , so say you put everything in the new phone now say for some reason you want get back on the old device with no sim , open whatapp it will send a code to new device and you enter on the old one and you just logged out the new device .

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Whatsapp is in the cloud so once you used the same number and google account it can be entered on any device , so say you put everything in the new phone now say for some reason you want get back on the old device with no sim , open whatapp it will send a code to new device and you enter on the old one and you just logged out the new device .

If I now say for some reason I want get back on the old device with no sim, open whatapp it will send a code to new device and I enter on the old one, do I see the exact messages that was in the old device until the last day I stopped using the old device (without showing the whatsapp new messages that was made in the new phone)? This step was done without inserting any sim card correct?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If I am already using whatsapp in the new phone, after repairing my old phone can I access old phone whatsapp by doing these steps without inserting any SIM card into the old phone?

How to set up WhatsApp on a phone without a SIM by using a second phone:
Download and open WhatsApp on your phone without a SIM card.
Read the privacy policy and terms of service offered by the welcome screen.
Hit Agree and continue.
Enter your other device’s phone number.
Press Next.
Verify your number is correct and press OK.
The app will send a text message to your active device.
Get the code and enter it into the phone without a SIM.
You should be good to Go!
https://www.androidauthority.com/use-whatsapp-without-sim-card-870736/

I am wondering if this works then if there is a new whatsapp message does it show on both phones? If last message received in old phone is 1 Jan 2020 then I do the step above on old phone in 1 Dec 2020 and a new message comes in in 1 Dec 2020 so does it mean all messages from 2 Jan 2020 to 30 Nov 2020 is missing in old phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

If I now say for some reason I want get back on the old device with no sim, open whatapp it will send a code to new device and I enter on the old one, do I see the exact messages that was in the old device until the last day I stopped using the old device (without showing the whatsapp new messages that was made in the new phone)? This step was done without inserting any sim card correct?
Yes it will show the last back up , if you choose back up now it will show the latest also

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If the last whatsapp google drive backup was 1 Jan.

If on 30 Jan I do a manual google drive whatsapp backup and the phone auto shut down halfway during the backup. If I restore whatsapp backup on the new phone, do I get a corrupted 30 Jan backup or 1 Jan good backup or not able to restore any backup?

How to save whatsapp backup in computer? I guess transfer speed likely to be faster than saving online.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If the last whatsapp google drive backup was 1 Jan.

If on 30 Jan I do a manual google drive whatsapp backup and the phone auto shut down halfway during the backup. If I restore whatsapp backup on the new phone, do I get a corrupted 30 Jan backup or 1 Jan good backup or not able to restore any backup?

How to save whatsapp backup in computer? I guess transfer speed likely to be faster than saving online.
If it shuts down during a back up then it's not a complete back up , for computer I'm not sure never used it that way only between my few device's

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If it shuts down during a back up then it's not a complete back up will Google be smart to notice that and not save/overwrite to the older complete backup?

Can I restore a older backup in google drive?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it shuts down during a back up then it's not a complete back up will Google be smart to notice that and not save/overwrite to the older complete backup?

Can I restore a older backup in google drive?
I never had that happen but don't believe it will overwrite the previous u just have to start all over again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174