How to choose your first tablet?

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

First, I checked for my question and it seems that there are one or two threads but they are outdated or too specific.

I am in the market for my first tablet.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to choose but I do have specific guidelines that I am placing on the purchase.

First let me ask, is there some kind of application or app, where you can put in your requirements and it will display the tablets on the market available that meet those requirements?

Is there some other kind of app or website that allows you to select a tablet choosing some features. Something like I just mentioned above?

If not, maybe someone can write an app for that!

Ok, the reason I am asking in the first place.

Of course, the iPad is in the running of my selection but to be honest, I don't like supporting Apple and I don't like being in their closed off wall garden. I don't like having someone censoring what I can or cannot read or watch. Even though Flash is dying, it's not dead quite yet! So having an Apple iPad would mean I would definitely have to root or jailbreak right out of the box. I keep hearing from Apple fans that they don't miss having Flash. Well, it's kinda hard to make that statement if you don't realize that you are missing something. Youtube would be a good example. If you have the Youtube app, it gets around the missing Flash some way.

Anyway, let's say I'm trying not to have to buy into Apple. But the specs are something not to overlook. So it's hard not to consider the iPad.

OK, enough on Apple!

I like to get the latest in specs, so I am going to end up paying top dollar for that.

I am totally interested in the new ASUS Transformer Prime (I think they have a new model that was just released, 710?).

It has the 4+1 CPU the Nvidia Tegra, it's a Quad Core, plus that one standby core.

It's gotten the best reviews!

Ok so where do I go from there.

I presently have a Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch on Sprint (SPH-D710).

So maybe I should stay in the Samsung arena for compatibility concerns.

I am used to the Touchwiz interface, which will be on their tablets as well.

But as far as I know, they don't yet have a Quad Processor. Like the Tegra 3, but from what I read they are coming out with their own Exynos Quad core 4+1 chip soon.

I want the larger screen, so I guess a 10 inch tablet, not a 7 inch.

I'm going to use this tablet as a replacement to my old laptop computer. I'm discovering that I don't need any longer the big Windows OS. I'm finding that Android and the available apps, I can do more and get stuff done a whole lot easier. It is unbelievable how the industry is headed. Even Microsoft is getting the in game finally with there new Windows 8 OS. I actually have it running on a Virtual machine that I setup on my desktop.

I'm only using my desktop now to store all my data, use as a media center. I actually don't even sit a my desk anymore. I use a RDP app and remote control into the machine, or one of my virtual machines that I have running on that.

I do have one question about my Android Apps, would I have to purchase the apps all over again for a new device. Or once you purchased an app, can you use it on any Android device you have. Of course, if the app is tablet specific, I would have purchase those apps again. But I believe I have apps that can be used on the phone or a tablet.

So would I have to re-purchase the apps again. I know if I moved to Apple's iPad, I would definitely have to re-purchase all the apps again.

I tend to use the PAID version of the apps I get, one to get rid of the Ads, two to support the developer. I like supporting the developers for their hard work.

And I have a ton of money now invested in Android apps.

Heck, I'm a former WebOS user and have spent well over $300 in apps for my Pre. Now it's in the drawer turned off. So that money went down the drain. I love WebOS it's a terrific OS. It's a real shame. But that's another story for another time.

I want to take into consideration the money invested in apps, and every time you make a switch, you have your wallet emptied again. That's a very big consideration for staying in the Android arena.

Ok that lays down most of the basics.

Now the other requirements:

I want the most memory possible, but that can be expensive. I would like a tablet like my Galaxy S II, to have a microSD slot so I can add the additional memory if and when I need it.

But so far, I haven't seen these options on tablets? I think there was one tablet that has a microSD slot, but I don't remember what make/model it was that I read about.

I know the ASUS Transformer has a way of getting more memory and that is through there optional keyboard dock. So you only get that added memory when you are docked. Maybe that's the best of all worlds in this case, since I am really leaning toward the ASUS.

So I want large memory.

I want the HDMI port, and that is coming with most tablets these days.

I want cameras, but a front facing camera is only thing I would need at least. I don't see myself taking pictures with this. But I do plan on using it for video calls or chat (with my aging mother who lives in West Palm Beach, I live in NYC).

I guess the best screen resolution. Let's face it, at this present time, nothing can beat Apple's Retina Display on the New iPAD.

But the ASUS's newly announce Transformer Prime, does come with an extremely high resolution (I don't think any tablet goes as high as this one). I think it's the ASUS 710 model recently announced (not sure when it will be available)?

But maybe I don't need it that high.

I want to be able to print from these tablets. I did purchase a wireless Samsung B/W Laser (model: ML-2525W) when I got my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G. It seems that the Touchwiz and eMail app that came with the phone has a PRINT option, as long as you use one of their wireless prints. So I got suckered into getting one. And it does work. But you don't have the control that you have from your desktop Windows Machine. It just doesn't have the printing abilities of a big desktop machine or laptop running Windows.

So printing is a concern of mine. Especially, should I get my Mom a tablet to match the one I would be getting. Her requirement is that she be able to print. She prints those Medicare statements to help her with paying her medical bills. I checked and Medicare doesn't offer a Android App or even an iPad/iPhone app.

Almost all of the available web browsers apps you get with Android don't support printing, it's a problem. I use the Dolphine browser and it does not support printing. I even wrote their tech support asking them to include that in a future upgrade. The guy told me, it could happen but it's at the bottom of the list of things to add as a feature.

I recently read about a tablet, I think it was one of the newer Acer tablets. It stated that it supported printing right out of the box. And supported most printers on the market. Even USB printers if I'm not mistaken.

But if I remember, the specs on their (Acer) tablet was not like the ASUS Transformer. I don't think it even had a Quad core processor.

I won't get a tablet, unless down near the $200 mark, if it doesn't have a quad core processor at this point. And maybe I should invest in a older $200 tablet to get me started. But it would probably lack all the features that I want.

Of course, it has to have Bluetooth.

And I"m only interested in a WiFi model. I have a phone with a data plan and I'm not going to spend money on another data plan. The tablet won't be leaving the house for the most part.

So that's about it.

10 inch in size
larger memory availability better yet a microSD slot to be able to add memory.
Quad core processor
WiFi
Bluetooth
Screen resolution (but not sure how high it should be and does it have to equal the Apple's retina display, is that really necessary?)

Finally, be able to Print to printers in a rather easy fashion (maybe this requirement should be at the top of my list)!

Am I missing something from the requirements?

So what tablets are out there that provide me with what I want?

Asus Transformer Prime, is at the top of the list and I'm almost willing to order one now. But which one, the newer 710 or is the 510 good enough. Does it have the printing.

Samsung and stay in that world because I have the Galaxy S II phone. But it does not yet have a Quad core processor. When are the new tablets coming out? How long would I have to wait on this.

The Acer tablet, if that is the one that I read about that has the printing options. But I don't think has the best specs. I would have to research that and come back and edit this post to add that info into this.

I am hoping that everyone will comment and maybe tell me what this Acer has, unless it's a different brand.

Do I wait, and it would be a long wait, and go with a new Windows 8 tablet. But that might not happen until Christmas shopping time, if that soon. So I think Windows is off the list. As I stated I wanted to stay in the Android arena.

So what else are my options?

Thank you everyone! One for taking the time to read my rather long post. Two for making any suggestions or comments.

Rob