How to empty the recycle bin

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
How do I do this. Later Notes seem to have a "trash" option in the pull-down menu of Gallery which gives an "empty" option, but my Gallery has nothing. Please advise. Thanks in advance. Frank

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not all apps have a Trash/Recycle bin. If you don't see the option, then it's not available, and anything you delete is therefore gone immediately.

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I assumed you would be familiar with the Note 4 as I thought I had placed this question in the Note 4 section of this forum. Thanks for your reply, Mustang7757, but I have done exactly what you have suggested and have no "trash" shown in the pull-down. Could you possibly explain this? I am using the stock Gallery app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I assumed you would be familiar with the Note 4 as I thought I had placed this question in the Note 4 section of this forum. Thanks for your reply, Mustang7757, but I have done exactly what you have suggested and have no "trash" shown in the pull-down. Could you possibly explain this? I am using the stock Gallery app.
I can't explain why yours doesn't have it as it's been very long time since I had the Note 4 and can't look up it's settings in gallery, my thinking is it's on old Andriod version and not supported anymore.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't have a Note 4, nor do I personally own many of the phones that have subforums on this forum. That doesn't mean that I can't make some comments or suggestions. What I mentioned previously is still valid, no matter what phone you might have -- if you don't see a Trash or Recycle option, then it's not available. As mustang7757 mentioned, it may very well have to do with how outdated the phone is.

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I understand. The phone is outdated although I think there are still quite a few around. Archaic though it is, I have no idea why they would omit such a capability. I am trying to free up space and have just moved some photos and videos to external storage. I'd be surprised if these files, "deleted" from internal storage, would be permanently deleted at the same time. Is it possible the phone is *that* primitive? Also no evidence percentage of internal storage has dropped.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Recycle Bin is something Samsung added in Android Pie (so it's not something they took away in your phone -- it's a new feature they added in later versions of the UI and Gallery app): https://www.sammobile.com/2018/11/22/one-ui-android-pie-feature-gallery-trash

Older Android phones didn't have a Recycle Bin -- that was really something of a MacOS/Windows idea that was added later to Android. Remember, iPhones don't have a Recycle Bin either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk