How to make my PIN less visible to others

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Some months ago I bought a new Motorola Moto G6 - a very nice phone for the price - and it came with pretty much stock Android 8, which I was fairly happy with.

A few weeks after purchase it upgraded itself to Android 9, and then I immediately noticed that whenever I enter my PIN on the lock screen it would highlight every number I press with a bright white circle which seems to be perfectly designed to make my PIN very visible to anyone who happens to be looking at my screen. Does anyone know how to disable this ridiculous "feature"? I have looked through the settings and can't find a way. Android 8 didn't have this problem.

For the last few months I have been working around this issue by simply enabling fingerprint unlock so that I don't have to enter my PIN around other people. Unfortunately, fingerprint detection isn't always reliable especially when my hands are sweaty, and if it fails too many times it asks me for my PIN anyway. It also asks me for my PIN if I haven't entered it in a few days, and sometimes I want to use my phone and don't have a private place for entering my PIN, which is very annoying. I have had to change it a couple of times already because of this.

It's an utter failure to begin with that the PIN screen highlights the numbers you press. I mean, you might want such a feature when typing on the keyboard, but definitely not when entering your PIN, which you want to keep secret (and it's usually muscle memory, and in any case it doesn't matter if you make a mistake when entering it because you can simply retry - privacy is definitely more important than visual feedback, IMO). Surely someone else has encountered the issue, but some web searching didn't get me very far when I tried to find a solution to this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Realistically, for someone to learn your PIN from that, they'd have to be looking right at your screen as you unlock. If they're doing that anyway, they can probably figure it out without the numbers lighting up. Be aware of your surroundings, and if someone is right next to you peering at your phone, wait for them to get the heck away from you before you unlock.