How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

ryan9613

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
*** UNLOCKED ***
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.58.0000
eMMC-boot

This i the info showed at the top of my bootloader screen. i am using twrp 1.1.1 recovery. i am stuck in a bootloop and every rom ive tried doesnt work, even my backup dont work. someone please help me. i do not want to have to do the s-off method

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Without extra info like what rom you tried to flash it's hard to say what the exact problem is.

The most likely is that even if you flashed a rom that is compatible with hboot 1.58, because you are s-on you need to flash the kernel separately. If you are going to stay s-on, you really should use 4ext recovery as it has a feature called smart flash that will allow you to flash the rom and kernel together. There is also a way to do it through fastboot but using 4EXT recovery is much simpler.

Anyway, you need to flash the boot.img separately. So if you flashed a rom, take the boot.img from that rom and put it in your adb/fastboot folder on the pc. Then use fastboot command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

If you restored your backup, try flashing the boot.img from whatever rom that is.

If you don't want to switch to 4ext then you can temporarily boot recovery into the phones memory to flash roms and that will allow you to flash the rom and kernel together without flashing the boot.img separately. Do this by issuing fastboot command:
fastboot boot recovery.img

That will boot recovery and allow you to flash a rom without having these problems.

So either boot recovery through fastboot or use 4ext recovery with smart flash enabled.

Really s-off is worth it it will save you a lot of headache. And you can only use stock based ics roms while s-on. Anything else is incompatible and will bootloop. No cm or jellybean roms. Just stock ics.

Sent from my Evo 3D CDMA using Tapatalk 2

holmesnmanny

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I used this method to root my phone. If I need to factory reset my phone for any reason is it safe to use the built-in method or do I have to use another method now ? Which method to use exactly ?

Also, when it comes to over the air updates now is it safe to install future over the air updates ?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I used this method to root my phone. If I need to factory reset my phone for any reason is it safe to use the built-in method or do I have to use another method now ? Which method to use exactly ?

Also, when it comes to over the air updates now is it safe to install future over the air updates ?

Just use the RUU to go back to stock if you ever need to.

Don't take ota updates as they sometimes can prevent you from
rooting your phone.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

narlocza

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
ok, this might be a problem with the rooting project. I installed the TWRP recovery and placed it in the same folder as fastboot, adb, etc... when i typed in fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, it sais unkown error. I have done all the other steps with ease. Please help.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
ok, this might be a problem with the rooting project. I installed the TWRP recovery and placed it in the same folder as fastboot, adb, etc... when i typed in fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, it sais unkown error. I have done all the other steps with ease. Please help.

Did you rename the twrp image to recovery.img? Sometimes Windows 7 doesn't show the extensions do you might be renaming it to recovery.img.img.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

jay money

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
i need some help I have been following the step to the T but I always get stuck trying to fastboot recovery.

C:\sdk-tools>adb reboot bootloader
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

C:\sdk-tools>fastboot boot recovery.img
cannot load 'recovery.img'

C:\sdk-tools>

I have the recovery inside my sdk-tools folder

im not seeing what im doing wrong I have a htc evo v 4g hboot 1.58.0000

I need help please anyone

Attachments

• IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg