How to rotate a recorded video.

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Edit: see post 2 for solution.

I recorded a 12-minute video but hit record before completing the rotation of the phone to horizontal. Now the finished video plays sideways compared to how the camera was held during recording. In other words, the phone was held horizontal for all but a fraction of a second at the start when recording but it played back vertical.

Like JPGs, is there an attribute in the MP4 file that can be changed with some app so the video will play correctly without recoding and losing PQ?

If not, how can I convert it?

S20 FE5G although I suspect the phone is not relevant.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Turns out there is an attribute in the MP4 file that tells viewers to rotate the file 90 clockwise, 90 counter-clockwise, or 180 when playing.

So was easy to fix and no recoding was necessary. Just changed the rotation from 90 degrees to none.

Anyone else needing to do that, there may be a free app. I used VideoReDo V6 since I already owned it. Any app could be confusing because mine had a rotation option but it was NOT relative to how the video played but rather to whatever the recording camera considers unrotated if that makes any sense.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky