How to send SMS over data?

berni23

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
Sorry, if this is the wrong forum, but i couldn't find anything better.
So the problem is, my mother only has an old Nokia with no dataplan.
Is there an app with which I can send an SMS from my smartphone over the dataline, and she receives it as an SMS?
Keep in mind, she only has the custom Nokia SMS app and no way to install anything.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I don't think so. If she has no data plan on the phone then there is no phone number to send to. Best bet is to get a phone that is wifi capable and use a voip app like Google voice. But that's assuming there is wifi available.

Or have her look into assurance wireless or another free phone service offered. They will send a free phone and give a certain amount of minutes and data a month for free.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
There used to be sites to do this back when SMS messages were crazy expensive...I always thought they were just a scam to harvest mobile numbers to be honest. The simplest solution is usually best. So, why can't you just send her SMS messages through your messages app?

berni23

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
She has a plan without data, with a SIM card and an own phone number.
Getting a new phone is not an option, she hardly can operate the old NOKIA.
Same with a different carrier, she will not have it.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Weird, here in the UK voice and texts are generally unlimited with pretty much every plan and the data is what you pay for, I assumed that was the norm across Europe.

Honestly I think the best solution would be to add texting to your plan...

A little googling turned this up. It's aimed at the US, but hopefully one of these will work for you

https://dataoverhaulers.com/send-messages-over-wifi/

berni23

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
Weird, here in the UK voice and texts are generally unlimited with pretty much every plan and the data is what you pay for, I assumed that was the norm across Europe.
To be honest, 99% of the plans sold are unlimited.
Mine is ultracheap, but only with 100 free minutes and no free SMS.
Hers is also ultracheap, but doesn't have any data.
This is my dilemma.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What carrier does your mother have? In the US, most if not all major carriers allow a person to send a text from an email address. The email address to send to would usually be something like [phone number]@tmomail.net (for T-Mobile, at least).

berni23

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
She is in Germany and is @ o2.
Yes, i found that option, too. Just like websites, where you can send SMS for free or even dozens of apps that give you a second number and thus in theory allowing what i intend.
But I'm looking for an app.
Just wondering, wouldn't all apps, that promise to send encrypted SMS, be able to do so?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej