How to stop apps opening in split screen

flippin heck

Jan 22, 2023
Visit site
I was an early very happy flip 3 owner until the dreaded cracking started on the fold. My telco gave me a refurbed replacement from Samsung. Just finished setting it up but cannot figure out how to stop apps opening as split screen. I want all my apps to open fullscreen.
Any hints?

flippin heck

Jan 22, 2023
Visit site
Thanks @mustang7757
Unfortunately display>fullscreen apps only seems to adjust whether an app opens the full length of the screen or opens just below the camera cut out.
I don't have any option to off turn split screen in labs (see attachment).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230122-153005_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230122-153005_Settings.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 7

flippin heck

Jan 22, 2023
Visit site
Sadly it doesn't help. I think it is because I am using the edge panel to access my fave apps. On my old phone I could use the edge panel without triggering split screen behaviour. Looks like this version doesn't allow it.

Reactions: KellM

flippin heck

Jan 22, 2023
Visit site
Sadly it doesn't help. I think it is because I am using the edge panel to access my fave apps. On my old phone I could use the edge panel without triggering split screen behaviour. Looks like this version doesn't allow it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This works on the S22, so hopefully the same holds true for the flip:
Open the app shortcut edge panel and tap the "Edit" button at the bottom (pencil icon). There, tap the menu button (three buttons on the top right corner) and select "Touch and hold". With that, you should be able to tap an app shortcut to open in full screen and hold and drag for split screen.

tall70

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi... split screen is now real issue with new 2023 update on my Android 7 tablet when one app is opening another it's forced to always split with no settings to change it, I have no use for it i use the tablet in service vehicle where map is open through invoicing program and the map need to stay full screen every time for easy visibility, it adds unsafe distraction to previously simple functioning task... I really wish developers would have more open mind for user flexibility, there are actually other important features I've lost because of their updates which as a result I have to carry more devices with me so I can have the previously functioning features on me... I hope something can be done about the split screen or at least hopefully someone can make small app to apply resizableactivity setting

talk

May 24, 2023
Visit site
This works on the S22, so hopefully the same holds true for the flip:
Open the app shortcut edge panel and tap the "Edit" button at the bottom (pencil icon). There, tap the menu button (three buttons on the top right corner) and select "Touch and hold". With that, you should be able to tap an app shortcut to open in full screen and hold and drag for split screen.
Dude you are a living legend. This fixed the issue for me.

KellM

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant, both of you, and thank you! Ms. Flippin for making the connection between using the Edge panel and the automatic split screen activation and Mr. Spook for providing the fix! Thank you so much!

The reason the automatic split screen was a problem for me was if the second app had a password lock on it, my password lock program (Norton) would not allow the app to open in a split screen! An annoying loop.

PS. It worked on my phone, an S23 Ultra

Reactions: SpookDroid