[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

chardog

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I hit more info on the update and did a battery pull a few days ago, not seen it again and quick settings wifi still works fine.

I did this since the VC update as well as renaming the otacerts, and have not had an update nag since. Not going to update until gingerbread or something major comes along. Heck, even gingerbread might not get my attention unless it's really groundbreaking or required.

CullenWebb

Mar 22, 2011
www.NationPains.com
ZVD to ZVC downgrade?

Thanks to you guys I discovered the wondrous wifi hotspot bug on my Optimus S. However, I had a moment of poor judgment and I downloaded the ZVD update.

I want my wifi back.

I don't need to root my phone, but if downgrading isn't an option then I'm fine with that. I'm just looking for a simpler method of restoring the bug.

I'm not computer illiterate. I've even developed a few simple Android apps for myself. But I have NEVER hacked or rooted anything. If you could talk me through this like you would your parents, or give me links to guides written in Stupid, I might be able to figure this out.

I tried the search feature, but I got a lot of threads about rooting and using language assuming that I know how to "flash" something.

So, in other words, "HELP!"

/panic

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can revert with the instructions in my signature. Just look in the reference section for the substitutions to revert to VC. Skip step (u) if you aren't rooting.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to you guys I discovered the wondrous wifi hotspot bug on my Optimus S. However, I had a moment of poor judgment and I downloaded the ZVD update.

I want my wifi back.

I don't need to root my phone, but if downgrading isn't an option then I'm fine with that. I'm just looking for a simpler method of restoring the bug.

I'm not computer illiterate. I've even developed a few simple Android apps for myself. But I have NEVER hacked or rooted anything. If you could talk me through this like you would your parents, or give me links to guides written in Stupid, I might be able to figure this out.

I tried the search feature, but I got a lot of threads about rooting and using language assuming that I know how to "flash" something.

So, in other words, "HELP!"

/panic

This thread is specifically directed towards your concern. Post #1 contains links to instructions on how to roll back, how to root, and how to wire tether while maintaining an unrooted VD. The option is yours.

Troy640

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about the Optimus S because it's the the cheapest phone available that can be used as a hotspot. I refuse to pay the extra $29.99 a month for the feature. Would it still be possible for me to root the phone and use it as a hotspot for free? Or would the phone already come with pre-installed with the newest update, blocking me from doing so?