How water resistant is the Droid Turbo?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I spilled a bit of Pepsi (not a lot) into the speaker phone and it caused a ton of static. I had to use insurance and replace it.

Yes, its Pepsi and not water which I'm sure is part if the issue. But this phone will be fine in normal weather conditions but don't go swimming with it or spilling anything despite what you may think it can take.

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Really...do you need to take your phone into the bathroom with you? Tub, toilet, whatever. Time to reevaluate your lifestyle. Or get some serious insurance on your phone!

Posted via the Android Central App

Lifestyle? I bring it in there when I shave s*** and shower in the event I get a business call thank you

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Bob....u really need to take your "business" into the "library" with you? Time for a new job!

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Its not IP67, not even water resistant. It has a water absorbent layer around the phone, this means you could splash the phone with a small amount of water or walk down the street for a few minutes in the rain. Do not think this will protect you from using underwater. Your warranty will be void and Motorola are trying to get the message out that its not IP67 and they will not replace it.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

Scott Blackwell2

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Dont test your phone....dropped mine in a rain storm and now the screen is out. Of course Verizon said they was very sorry but no replacement to a customer of 20yrs....talked with Motorola for an hour listing to how they would help me because they stand behind their products and the phone was advertised as splash proof...then all of a sudden the conversation changed and they said they couldn't repair it or sell me a new one????????wtf so im left with a $500 paper weight to remind me to never buy Motorola again and change my provider

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Dont test your phone....dropped mine in a rain storm and now the screen is out. Of course Verizon said they was very sorry but no replacement to a customer of 20yrs....talked with Motorola for an hour listing to how they would help me because they stand behind their products and the phone was advertised as splash proof...then all of a sudden the conversation changed and they said they couldn't repair it or sell me a new one????????wtf so im left with a $500 paper weight to remind me to never buy Motorola again and change my provider

That's not fair - they don't claim to have protection against full submersion in water (rain). Just a quick splash or drop is ok.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

All phone manufacturers would say this including Samsung with the S5. Why you ask? Its advertised as IP67 Water Resistant. Not many phones are said to be water proof so any water damage will result in the same outcome.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Ugh. I would just go forward assuming it has no water protection.

Posted via Android Central App
It does. And water cant short the usb port as its nano coated. Airboogie most likely had a faulty unit. Theres also reports about z3 water damage and. S5 water damage.

PeterTheGeek

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
It does. And water cant short the usb port as its nano coated. Airboogie most likely had a faulty unit. Theres also reports about z3 water damage and. S5 water damage.

Yep, though z3 claim a ip68 proof. One of my friends' z3 didn't perform that way. He was showing off the water resistant feature and took a 4k video underwater. And now his phone is buried in the rice bucket.
I think the condition varies on each module. Droid turbo could definitely survive an accidental drop or daily splash. But, however, there's no chance I'll test it on purpose.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Yep, though z3 claim a ip68 proof. One of my friends' z3 didn't perform that way. He was showing off the water resistant feature and took a 4k video underwater. And now his phone is buried in the rice bucket.
I think the condition varies on each module. Droid turbo could definitely survive an accidental drop or daily splash. But, however, there's no chance I'll test it on purpose.

Agreed :)

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Where is/are the moisture indicator(s) on the Turbo?

I've found online photos on most other Motorola phones, but not the Turbo.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I agree that its not verizons fault. And it isnt fair to pull the 20 year customer card. The phone is what it is, thats why I have a lifeproof with the 1 year water protection warranty from lifeproof (dont think it will be used). I would say the phone is more waterproof than a rain storm, heck Ive had every phone get rain on it! First of all it is a thin coating over the electrical components meant to block the water and minerals from the phone. Think of it a undercoating a car. It wont stop rust from appearing, it simply blocks the unwanted materials.

Profarmall

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree that its not verizons fault. And it isnt fair to pull the 20 year customer card. The phone is what it is, thats why I have a lifeproof with the 1 year water protection warranty from lifeproof (dont think it will be used). I would say the phone is more waterproof than a rain storm, heck Ive had every phone get rain on it! First of all it is a thin coating over the electrical components meant to block the water and minerals from the phone. Think of it a undercoating a car. It wont stop rust from appearing, it simply blocks the unwanted materials.

I had my droid turbo for 14 days and it slipped out of my pocket and fell into a dog water pitcher , it was totally submerged and when I pulled it out it was making all kinds of noises and then went black. Dried it let it sit in rice for few days , will power on but touch screen doesn't respond to touching and shows phone in airplane mode then shuts off . I agree its a pretty expensive paper weight, wife didn't insure it but still kind of dumb to make such an expensive phone that can't swim

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Why is it dumb to make it not waterproof? I agree they should, but most phones aren't (granted they are becoming more popular), I wouldn't trust a phone that claims to be waterproof there has been plenty of documented times when it failed. I would rely on a waterproof case.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I had my droid turbo for 14 days and it slipped out of my pocket and fell into a dog water pitcher , it was totally submerged and when I pulled it out it was making all kinds of noises and then went black. Dried it let it sit in rice for few days , will power on but touch screen doesn't respond to touching and shows phone in airplane mode then shuts off . I agree its a pretty expensive paper weight, wife didn't insure it but still kind of dumb to make such an expensive phone that can't swim
Not that I don't sympathize, but there only a few phones that advertize waterproof. If that was an important feature, you should have gotten one of those, or paid for a warranty that included water damage. All phones are expensive. Very few of them are waterproof. There's nothing dumb happening in your scenario that's related to the phone construction.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not that I don't sympathize, but there only a few phones that advertize waterproof. If that was an important feature, you should have gotten one of those, or paid for a warranty that included water damage. All phones are expensive. Very few of them are waterproof. There's nothing dumb happening in your scenario that's related to the phone construction.

To add to this if someone does feel that waterproof is a necessity they should remember water resistance isn't waterproof.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the ads and read about it being ok in a sudden rainstorm or average spill, but would it survive a drop in a bucket of water for 5 seconds? The usb port with no cover makes me think it wouldn't. I know it's not IP-spec (or whatever) like the Galaxy S5, but can water get in the USB port and not kill it? Tried looking up in the manual that was leaked, but strangely, no one captured the manual from the ftp site and now the linked manual on motofirmware.com/ftp doesn't exist.

Based on this thread alone, you'll quickly learn the Turbo is not submersible. Since it's only rated as water resistant, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ater-need-insurance-feedback.html#post4238416

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
And that isn't the only one. I think we've had about 4 others report the same: quick drop and retrieval from the water, and dead.

A little Pepsi in my speaker blew the speaker completely. Granted Pepsi is acidic and not water but liquid damage either way.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Quick answer for the OP's question = not very.
My Turbo was fully submerged in a bathtub for less than 5 seconds (my reflexes aren't what they should be when trying to relax) and it died within one minute of being retrieved. When the power button is depressed, it makes the start-up vibrations and sounds.. but no screen activation. I would highly recommend keeping this phone (and others) away from anything more than a light misty rain.. and even then take precautions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45