Is it truly water resistant? G8 not working after puddle drop

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So... yeah. This happened. My G8 - which is in a Zizo case- slipped out of my hand and into a puddle. No worries- it did not get submerged, I took it out of the case to wipe it dry, and it is mil spec certified to be water resistant right?

Problem is,20minutes later it is dead. Not just kind of dead either.... not charging, not turning on, not even aware it is a cell phone dead. Has there been any reports of this kind of problem with the L8? Or did I just get a lemon? Anyone had any experience with this?

On my way to buy rice now.... just not real happy.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's water resistant but that doesn't mean it's impervious to all water accidents. It's possible it's from the drop itself but hard to say

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.... I figured. Just wondering if this is just me or if there have been other reports of problems. I do appreciate the response.

Bought this new in stinking April for next to nothing. Really have enjoyed this thing. The audio through the head phone jack alone was worth the purchase price.

Be a real bummer to have it dead after less than half a year on a freak accident.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
BTW the rice won't do anything for you if it's a moisture issue. Rice only obsorbs water by contact so it's not going to dry out your device.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
BTW the rice won't do anything for you if it's a moisture issue. Rice only obsorbs water by contact so it's not going to dry out your device.

WHAT???? You mean I just wasted 69 cents!!??

I had heard that. It was half a joke to keep from throwing a 5 - year old style temper tantrum. I just have it off and SIM card out and will hope for the best. I do appreciate the replies and humoring me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
WHAT???? You mean I just wasted 69 cents!!??

I had heard that. It was half a joke to keep from throwing a 5 - year old style temper tantrum. I just have it off and SIM card out and will hope for the best. I do appreciate the replies and humoring me.
Sorry to hear that, you have insurance ? What's your next step?

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, you have insurance ? What's your next step?

Really good question....

I did the "Amazon Renewed" for this, and I did not takeout insurance, which most after market insurance will not cover water damage anyways. This thing worked and looked new up to this point.

I guess if it does not come back to life in a day or so, I will contact the LG service number and see if they can work on it and for how much. Since it is not an Apple or Samsung, there is zero chance any repair shop within a couple hundred miles will work on it, so that is my only option besides replacing it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Really good question....

I did the "Amazon Renewed" for this, and I did not takeout insurance, which most after market insurance will not cover water damage anyways. This thing worked and looked new up to this point.

I guess if it does not come back to life in a day or so, I will contact the LG service number and see if they can work on it and for how much. Since it is not an Apple or Samsung, there is zero chance any repair shop within a couple hundred miles will work on it, so that is my only option besides replacing it.
I understand, yeah see how much the repair will cost and if it's good price go with that or like you mentioned another phone.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Just as an update....

Gave it a day (dusted off my old V20) and tried firing it back up. Like everything else about this strange series of events, it now is back to it's usual, fun device self. Fired up, and works perfect. I do not get it, but I like happy endings.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just as an update....

Gave it a day (dusted off my old V20) and tried firing it back up. Like everything else about this strange series of events, it now is back to it's usual, fun device self. Fired up, and works perfect. I do not get it, but I like happy endings.
Great , I like happy ending also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali