How waterproof is it?

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the key here is "resistant" versus "waterproof". The phone will handle things like showers or dropping it in shallow water but I believe it's like up to 30 minutes or something. I wouldn't push it too far but it definitely protects it from most watery situations ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I took it to the pool and it's pretty Damn water resistant... Everyone kept asking me what phone I had

ajynyjyn.jpg

8y5a7ugy.jpg

ybenahu5.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts exactly, but I'm planning on doing the same thing with my phone later on. I'm just so tempted to try it but scared at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lol I was scared at first, but I went for it and it was the best thing ever, next time Im taking it on the water rides
As long as u dont leave it underwater for over 30 min u should be good
I was taking pics while I was on the lazy river

Note when u take it underwater for a while, the speaker will sound scratchy (this is normal)...its just the water in the speaker area, but it dries within an hour and the speaker sounds good as new

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't plan to put mine in the water, but, I'm concerned about it's water resistant properties because of the micro usb door. With the door closed, I can push on it with my fingernail and there is some "give" or "play". It's not firm or solid. Can some of you that have taken your phones underwater try this and lmk if when you push on the hinged door (on the non-hinged side) does it move or is it firm (no movement)?
Thanks

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Lol. I'm still scared when it even drizzles outside. I guess I still have the mentality it will get ruined.

-Sent from Tapatalk

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
i was scared after only washing my hands and saw a few drops on the screen! started freaking out and blowing the water off and drying it off.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I dont want to know how water resistant it is. I'm cool with not knowing. Lol the under water pics look nice though.

Posted via Android Central App

1AvgUser

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I took it to the pool and it's pretty Damn water resistant... Everyone kept asking me what phone I had

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/ajynyjyn.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/8y5a7ugy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/ybenahu5.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

LOVE IT!!!!

(from the guy who took his snorkeling in the Bahamas)

Of course I didn't mention that I had planned on (and did) return the one that I took snorkeling because it was from AT&T and couldn't be rooted. I figured that it serves AT&T right for locking the OS. I knew they would charge me $35 restocking fee so I didn't care!

Not sure if I would be so aggressive with one that I was going to keep. ;o

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
A few weeks ago I was at the store and before I went in the sky was black as hell. Well adventurous me never carries an umbrella, I figure a little rain will never kill me. Well while I was in the store the sky dropped. Pretty much Niagara Falls out there. I could see it outside as I was by the front at the checkout. Wasn't any way I was getting to the car without being wet.
Car was about 10 feet away, I took off with my groceries and ran like crazy. Got in the car, still soaked, looked like a drowned rat...pulled the phone outta my pocket...Had water running off of it in a little stream, phone was still fine. As far as anything more, I wouldn't put it past...if any of you remember what Samsung and AT&T tried to pull with the Active when it first came out, I'd guess they would try the same thing again. If you insist on dunking the sucker, make sure everything is snapped and shut down tight. :)

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Tried it out in the pool today! I had a very willing subject and I was able to capture this on the first shot. I wasn't as worried as I thought I would be. Of course, it helped that I was still in the 14 day window to return it if anything went wrong.

2014-06-07 13.59.13.jpg

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Nice shot, beautiful subject, but I would not be doing that on a regular basis.

The microphone and the speaker elements are subjected to the water... not to mention that you just might not have closed the USB port tight enough.

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Nice shot, beautiful subject, but I would not be doing that on a regular basis.

The microphone and the speaker elements are subjected to the water... not to mention that you just might not have closed the USB port tight enough.

I am aware of the speaker and microphone limitations in water and no, I won't be doing this on a regular basis. :) I was extremely careful about making sure the back cover and USB port were completely shut. I am out at the pool a lot during the summer and I wanted to make sure that it really is safe to tote it with me. I don't want to freak out if/when it gets wet. By testing it during the 14 day return period I was able to assure myself that I didn't get a phone that had faulty water resistant features. :) For my S2 I have one of those uber thick plastic waterproof bags. The phone isn't easy to use in those. I'm happy to know that when my golden retriever shakes a gallon of water on me and my phone I can laugh instead of cry. LOL

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
People really need to keep in mind this phone is water resistant, not water proof. Yes, you may get away with taking it under water with you a few times, but ultimately it could end up biting you in the bum. If the phone was truly made to go swimming with under water then Otterbox and Lifeproof would not bother even making WATERPROOF cases for it, because it would be a completely waste of money for them. I have watch the video on YouTube, and see the pics taken by other, and I am attributing that more to people being lucky than the phone actually being able to withstand being submerge in water. You also have to remember they released the S5 Active, which is WATERPROOF. Why even bother if the other version already is? I would say just be careful, because it is build to with stand brief drops in water, spills on it etc.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
People really need to keep in mind this phone is water resistant, not water proof. Yes, you may get away with taking it under water with you a few times, but ultimately it could end up biting you in the bum. If the phone was truly made to go swimming with under water then Otterbox and Lifeproof would not bother even making WATERPROOF cases for it, because it would be a completely waste of money for them. I have watch the video on YouTube, and see the pics taken by other, and I am attributing that more to people being lucky than the phone actually being able to withstand being submerge in water. You also have to remember they released the S5 Active, which is WATERPROOF. Why even bother if the other version already is? I would say just be careful, because it is build to with stand brief drops in water, spills on it etc.

The S5 active has the exact same IP certification as the S5 so it's no more waterproof than the original S5. It's just more rugged so it'll handle falls better. I've also taken mine to the pool and taken underwater pics. It held up great. I won't be doing this on the regular, but it's nice to know it can handle it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk