HTC One ATT M7, No OS and No Recovery

John Naglak

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I need some serious help. I tried reverting back to HTC Sense but things from the start were bad. I kept trying to use the latest RUU but kept giving me a Error 155 code. I also somehow have no OS installed on the phone and no TWRP, though I still do have the IMG in my fastboot file. I am S-ON and now my phone is also "relocked." Do I need to be S-OFF and unlocked to use RUU? Is my phone permanently bricked?

Please, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I need some serious help. I tried reverting back to HTC Sense but things from the start were bad. I kept trying to use the latest RUU but kept giving me a Error 155 code. I also somehow have no OS installed on the phone and no TWRP, though I still do have the IMG in my fastboot file. I am S-ON and now my phone is also "relocked." Do I need to be S-OFF and unlocked to use RUU? Is my phone permanently bricked?

Please, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to Android Central.

If it says relocked, it's probably because you ran the RUU. You'll need S-OFF unless it is the RUU specifically for your phone. Is fastboot still working when you connect the phone to a computer? Try the "fastboot oem unlock" command to see if it will unlock. Do you still have the unlock token? You can flash that again as well. Afterwards, you can flash a recovery again, and then flash a ROM (that is, if it will mount to the computer).

John Naglak

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello and thanks for the welcome and fast response. I tried doing the fastboot oem unlock but it gives me:

C:\fastboot>fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.002s

So maybe it is time to S-OFF? The phone can't be completely bricked while in S-ON, right?

EDIT 2: HUZZAH! I got it unlocked. Turns out I just typed the command in wrong.. :p

Now the phone is stuck at the Cynogenmod boot screen (it said no OS installed before). Now should I flash my old recovery?

Last edited:

John Naglak

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
OK so I got the phone unlocked again, recovery is working, only problem now, there is nothing to recover from. The phone got wiped including the internal storage. What should I do now? The phone is not being detected by my computer, otherwise I know I would just drag the file to the phone and flash. Is it possible to do any other way? Also, I still have some file in my fastboot folder named openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-m7.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
OK so I got the phone unlocked again, recovery is working, only problem now, there is nothing to recover from. The phone got wiped including the internal storage. What should I do now? The phone is not being detected by my computer, otherwise I know I would just drag the file to the phone and flash. Is it possible to do any other way? Also, I still have some file in my fastboot folder named openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-m7.

That's a recovery file. You can't mount the phone if you select "mount" in TWRP? How about ADB Sideload? Have you tried that?

John Naglak

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Seems like I can't. The only options selected in the Mount screen are "cache" and "system". Both USB OTG and data are unchecked and cannot be checked. Am I missing something here? Should I be able to see my device now? And I tried ADB Sideload but it didn't work either. I'll try it again. Maybe I should go to the store quickly and get a USB OTG cable?

EDIT: Sideload doesn't work. When I type in the path it still gives me the error:device not found.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Seems like I can't. The only options selected in the Mount screen are "cache" and "system". Both USB OTG and data are unchecked and cannot be checked. Am I missing something here? Should I be able to see my device now? And I tried ADB Sideload but it didn't work either. I'll try it again. Maybe I should go to the store quickly and get a USB OTG cable?

EDIT: Sideload doesn't work. When I type in the path it still gives me the error:device not found.

Are you using USB 3.0 or Windows 8?

John Naglak

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I finally got it to work! I don't know what I did or how I did it, but the Cynogenmod screen came up and finally let me install! I'm now running on an older version, but at least it all works! Now so this doesn't happen again, should I update TWRP to a newer version? Thank you for all your help too.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I finally got it to work! I don't know what I did or how I did it, but the Cynogenmod screen came up and finally let me install! I'm now running on an older version, but at least it all works! Now so this doesn't happen again, should I update TWRP to a newer version? Thank you for all your help too.

Most ROMs require the most up to date version of a recovery, so if there is one, I would. Simply flash the newer one over the current one. Also remember to wipe in recovery when you are going to flash a different ROM.

John Naglak

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the latest TWRP, so that's good. Now sorry for such a nooby question, but since I'm still on Cynogenmod (wanted to be back on stock but this whole mess happened) do I need to flash back to stock if I wanted to, let's say, get AndroidRevolutionHD? Sorry if you are not the person to ask, or if I'm even allowed to ask, but I was just wondering. If anything, I'll stay on this version of Cynogenmod and never mess with it again. ;)

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You can can flash a sense based rom through recovery. As for a RUU if you are s-on you need to use one that the firmware is equal to or newer than what you are on now. No older version without being s-off

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the latest TWRP, so that's good. Now sorry for such a nooby question, but since I'm still on Cynogenmod (wanted to be back on stock but this whole mess happened) do I need to flash back to stock if I wanted to, let's say, get AndroidRevolutionHD? Sorry if you are not the person to ask, or if I'm even allowed to ask, but I was just wondering. If anything, I'll stay on this version of Cynogenmod and never mess with it again. ;)

You can flash any Sense ROM or Stock ROM.

reebtoor

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem, but with no magic solution. I'm a total noob who didn't like the interface of my phone but ran into this same problem. I am running windows 8. I only get the "HTC quietly brilliant" screen that doesn't ever stop. I tried adb recovery, but the phone and the computer don't seem to recognize each other. I don't have much on the phone that isn't backed up elsewhere, but if there's no OS, it seems problematic. Any suggestions.

kellos Pacquette

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey bro i'm here down in the Caribbean and of which i was so happy getting this new perfect HTC one m7 sprint now i messed up that beauty and trying to get back stock sprint this my details about my phone.........................................................(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.60.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: N/A
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.00.000.0
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: FA456S900233
(bootloader) imei: 990004289014445
(bootloader) meid: 99000428901444
(bootloader) product: m7_wls
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0720000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4325mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-91bb20e1
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.031s

C:\One_All-In-One_Kit_v\data>

kellos Pacquette

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey bro i'm here down in the Caribbean and of which i was so happy getting this new perfect HTC one m7 sprint now i messed up that beauty and trying to get back stock sprint this my details about my phone.........................................................(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.60.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: N/A
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.00.000.0
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: FA456S900233
(bootloader) imei: 990004289014445
(bootloader) meid: 99000428901444
(bootloader) product: m7_wls
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0720000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001