HTC One (M8) camera discussion

bgj1010

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
It takes crazy pix, and you can fine tune everything, just like a regular camera. ISO, exposure, white balance, everything a dedicated camera can. And if your main focus, no pun intended, is the device's camera, get the Nokia Lumia, touted to have the BEST camera in any smartphone...

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of discussion about the phone's camera and it's quality/lack of quality.

I find it interesting, seeing as I've had the phone now for 2 and a half months, taken many photos with it in all sorts of situations and posted them on social media, emailed them to people etc.....haven't gotten one comment from anyone saying the picture is poor quality or they have trouble making out the image or anything.

I've had a few people asking what camera I'm using (mostly when I've uploaded Ufocus pictures), and if I do get a comment on a picture I've taken, it's always positive. Have yet to see one person complain about lack of detail or low resolution or whatever else is being discussed on here. Granted my friends/contacts are a small sample size and maybe they're just being polite and secretly despise the low resolution images I post, but I have a feeling that's not the case.

I think more people here are interested in discussing the specs of the camera rather than the results. And that's a shame.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
This is absolutely correct!
Even at a lower resolution the results are great, the colours, the lack of blurry shots, and the excellent on the fly video effects all make the camera results perfect for social media and sharing.
I don't look at other people's pictures on Facebook and wish mine would do that.
The only downside for me is the problems the camera has with exposure but other than that I'm now than happy with the results.

Posted via Android Central App

Da_Katz_Pajamas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I've tried searching multiple times in Google and cannot I find an answer to my problem. Whenever I start the camera app it is always out of focus. I have to zoom in and out multiple times to focus on a stationary object. The worst part is that I record drums videos and about 10 seconds into the video it just goes out of focus and doesn't repair itself. Has anyone else had this issue? I'd figure I would see my options are before exchanging it.

Here's a video demonstrating the unfocused. http://instagram.com/p/pcFoC3sBFR/

Last edited:

Chris Pinto

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: M8 Camera

I looked through the touchscreen in front regular camera mode and noticed a jagged small black dot in the shot;I took a foto and the jagged dot appeared in the foto as well- a software glitch? Its a brand new phone and this just occured today...

whitezee10

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I've tried searching multiple times in Google and cannot I find an answer to my problem. Whenever I start the camera app it is always out of focus. I have to zoom in and out multiple times to focus on a stationary object. The worst part is that I record drums videos and about 10 seconds into the video it just goes out of focus and doesn't repair itself. Has anyone else had this issue? I'd figure I would see my options are before exchanging it.

Here's a video demonstrating the unfocused. http://instagram.com/p/pcFoC3sBFR/

You may try to touch the screen for a long time and waot until it says AE amd AF Locked. Kindly update us if it solves your problem

BockBock

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
This is absolutely correct!
Even at a lower resolution the results are great, the colours, the lack of blurry shots, and the excellent on the fly video effects all make the camera results perfect for social media and sharing.
I don't look at other people's pictures on Facebook and wish mine would do that.
The only downside for me is the problems the camera has with exposure but other than that I'm now than happy with the results.

I debated for weeks on which device to get myself and so far the M8 hasn't let me down. As a photographer having a decent camera on me at all times (Carrying around an SLR is not going to happen 24/7) so I seriously considered the S5.. Until I played with one and saw touchwhiz again.

So far I've been table to take some decent shots, edit them using HTC's software or VSCO filters and I've got a lot of traction even on FB giving people portraits. Would I love say 8MP to play with? Sure! But for now this is "good enough.

Da_Katz_Pajamas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
You may try to touch the screen for a long time and waot until it says AE amd AF Locked. Kindly update us if it solves your problem

It was a software issue. I tried the auto focus lock but didn't work. Now that I knew the camera issues were software related it revealed other issues like failing auto brightness. I returned it but later traded it for an S5. If Samsung merged their hardware with HTC's software it would make the perfect phone. Because even though I love the screen and camera on the S5 enough to choose over the m8,tgerw is no denying that HTC's UI is far superior.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had plenty of comments about how great the photos are.
I can plainly see the difference myself with the 8mp gs3 and note 2 camera.
The m8 at 4mp slaughters them so much it's funny.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had plenty of comments about how great the photos are.
I can plainly see the difference myself with the 8mp gs3 and note 2 camera.
The m8 at 4mp slaughters them so much it's funny.

Images are much more than just resolution, which is what the M8 can prove. I just find that I 'trust' the M8's camera moreso than any other Android phone I've had. I've had the Xperia Z1, multiple Galaxy phones etc, but I know when I pull out the M8, odds are that the shots I take are going to be good. I like having that reassurance.

Previously any other phone I knew if it wasn't bright daylight shots, the images wouldn't be very good.

I have photos of my little nephews playing with a flashlight in the dark. No chance in hell another Android phone would have shots turning out as good as they did.

omoanya

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having lots of trouble sharing a simple video off the htc one m8 -- no matter which method I use to share, even bluetooth transfer - some of my videos share without sound. The sound just gets stripped out and the video plays silent on the recipient device. Any ideas ?

Will6371

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia 1020 and a 1520 which are arguably the best phone cameras out at the moment but I find the M8 easier to use than both of them and quicker but I don't know much about photography so for me the M8 is the better phone camera.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to research this and haven't had much luck,but has anyone tried using some of the add on lenses on this phone?

I have a M8 headed to me that is replacing my 1520 this week,and am reading as much as I can about it.

Thanks
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Jdpraise

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I would love to see what everyone is doing with these 8,13, and 20 mp images. I know for sure that I would never dream of blowing one of my photo's up as wall art.. who cares about the megapixels when the sensors are so tiny. I share these photo's or print out 5x7's, any larger and that's specifically what a DSLR camera is for.

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I would love to see what everyone is doing with these 8,13, and 20 mp images. I know for sure that I would never dream of blowing one of my photo's up as wall art.. who cares about the megapixels when the sensors are so tiny. I share these photo's or print out 5x7's, any larger and that's specifically what a DSLR camera is for.

I be wondering the same thing. Most people will only view the photos they take on their laptop, pc or phone lol. Or print them out no larger than 8.5 x11. So in my opinion this camera on the One M8 does just fine.

Posted via my HTC One M8

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Just got the HTC One M8 today great phone except my camera sucks. My friend who got the HK edition camera is great but mine is overexposed and I can't adjust the flash. Any help would be great.