HTC One M8 suddenly won't connect to PC via cable

A

AC Question

One month before my 2 year contract with EE expired, my HTC One M8 suddenly started playing up. I had all manner of trouble. Meanwhile they were pestering me relentlessly to upgrade to a new phone. (Were I a conspiracy theorist I would have a field day with this one.) After stonewalling their sales team I was finally offered a pay-as-you-go option. I wanted to keep my phone as it is in great condition and does all it needs to do. However, although the phone stopped playing up - not before I had lost all my music files, texts & voice recorded files - it now works fine. Except for one thing: it is now impossible to connect my phone with any third party device via USB cable. I have tried half a dozen cables that work fine with other devices inc another HTC phone. It seems like something has happened to my phone that now prohibits connectivity. I am reduced to transferring data via email or bluetooth where I would far rather just plug a cable in and do it quickly. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It might be the phone's microUSB port. Make sure it's clear of any debris -- use a can of compressed air to blow it out, or a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts. If the problem persists, then the port may have to be replaced. This kind of issue is unfortunately not that uncommon with a variety of phones.

vict0r91

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It might be the phone's microUSB port. Make sure it's clear of any debris -- use a can of compressed air to blow it out, or a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts. If the problem persists, then the port may have to be replaced. This kind of issue is unfortunately not that uncommon with a variety of phones.

I've tried everything, but only one thing proved to be the solution. The symptoms were: No Notification in my Phone for Connection, ONLY CHARGING FUNCTION WAS STILL ON. I have tried on several computers and with different cables, still was happening. The problem itself is in the Mobile phone.

Go to 'Storage' --> 'Eject/ Unmount the SD Card', thereafter you must 'Mount' the SD card.
You don't need to restart the phone or taking the SD card out of the device.

I don't know what the SD card has to do with the Data transferring via USB port, but it really helped me. It's a Quick fix.

Good luck!