HTC One S Jelly bean issue, not connecting to PC

Craig Knox

May 11, 2013
Visit site
This update also added Lookout Security.... if you have this enable, you have to disable it. Every time HTC Sync tried to connect to the phone, Lookout Security does a scan that stops HTC Sync from connecting to the device. ROYAL PAIN IN THE ***. I just want USB DRIVE mode back. Screw you HTC

Kato Kiss

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thank you very much. It worked just as you wrote. If it would have not been for your comment I would still be searching for a solution! This new upgrade is a step back, making photo transfer a lot more complicated than before.

Petko Miran

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my HTC One S and it turned out to be the USB cable for me. I used the one which came with the car charger and apparently it lacked couple of wires or something (to save money).

dez31golf

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem but changed the USB cable and used the one form my Google Nexus. All the drivers automatically updated on my computer. Everything working fine again now.

Barb2424

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it's a jelly bean issue and have been following the thread but still cannot resolve my issue of:
* computer recognises the phone [ HTC One X] when I connect it - the driver update happens and it makes that connection sound. The HTC Sync manager comes up but then my device is not seen in it. So I cannot sync the phone to my computer.
* the Wifi -- hot spot does not work either.
It's like the computer knows the phone is there but not visa versa.

I have turned the USB debugging thingie off.
I have put the internet pass through thingie on.

But still no recognition of my phone to the computer and the device manager and disc drive window that used to appear is now gone.
My HTC Sync Manager is up to date.

What now?

scottbomb

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem am I'm convinced the Jelly Bean update broke our disk drive connection option. NO SPECIAL DRIVERS (like Sync Manager) have ever been required for this to work either. I used to be able to connect with computers running Windows 7 or Xubuntu Linux with no problem. I disabled Lookout. I turned on USB Debugging. Still doesn't work. Restated phone. Nothing works. I'm about ready to either root this thing or see if I can revert it to ICS. I see no compelling reason to keep Jelly Bean anyway.

UPDATE: After installing HTC Sync Manager, it was able to connect. I don't use the Sync Manager for anything but it does bring along drivers. Even still, it's not the same. You know that system tray icon that allows you to safely remove a USB device (a good thing to do when you're using external storage is to unmount it first)... well it's gone. And there is no access at all for Linux PCs.

UPDATE #2: I was finally able to get it to work in Linux. The directions are very well written and, if followed, this is the best (only) remedy we have at this time. Instructions here: HOWTO: Linux and MTP - xda-developers

Last edited:

rjmartindale

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
This worked:

Guys, this might help for some of you, connect your HTC one S to the computer, when you connect it, go ON your phone and put your finger where it shows the battery or the mobile signal and drag it down all the way. Now you will see some settings, it will show USB debugging connected and i believe USB connected, DO NOT CLICK on the USB debugging connected, click on the other option. Now you will see about four options, Portable Wi-fi hotspot, Portable Wi-fi hotspot settings, USB network settings, and Bluetooth tethering. Click on the USB network Setting and choose the last option which is internet pass - through. I dont know why but once you do all of this everything should start working again. if you deleted HTC sync manager, re - download again because it will help out for whatever you wanted to do such as listening to music or going through your gallery, but once you have done this, everything should be back to normal and working well so go ahead and try it out. If it doesnt work just let me know alright guys

P.S
once you see that it works, go back on your phone and instead of using the internet pass - through, choose the option on top of it and everything should be fine.

Shekar5557

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I found a way to connect to PC...

Setting->More->Mobile Network Sharing->USB Network Setting->USB tethering

then you should see "My Computer\HTC One S\Internal storage" folder in your PC.

Interchange your data between PC and HTC One S... all the best...

Shekar5557

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Since I upgraded to Jelly Bean, I can no longer connect to my PC. Previously the phone screen would ask me to select either Charging or Hard Drive when I connected the USB cable, I no longer get this and a message pops up on my PC screen saying;

Cannot install this hardware
There was a problem installing this hardware
HTC MTP Device
An error occured during the installation of this device
The required section was not found in the INF

So, can anyone give me a clue as to what is going wrong?

I found a way to connect to PC...

Setting->More->Mobile Network Sharing->USB Network Setting->USB tethering

then you should see "My Computer\HTC One S\Internal storage" folder in your PC.

Interchange your data between PC and HTC One S... all the best...

grandmanancy

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I was unable to get my PC to recognize the HTC One connection as a USB port. It didn't give me a choice of 'Power' or 'Data' connection. Only Power or HTC Syn. Finally tried a cable from another device and it worked immediately. I don't like HTC Sync Manager because it wants to catagorize everything on my computer and sync it with my phone. I only wanted to copy a few pictures. At least it works with a different cable.

runoono

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
this is me mimicking the face on my avatar upon reading all the replies:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

now for the solution
the HTC phones use a relatively stock android rom right?
I'm using CM10.1 and I had this problem so here's what you do
you go to storage then press menu button which you'll see the option " USB computer connection"
press that the mass storage option.
keep in mind that mass storage option will
A. automatically engage upon connecting your phone to your pc
B. will disable ringtones and notifications with missing file sound

Hope this helps so I don't look like a complete arse because of the first 3 or 4 sentences

Hmummy

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
OK i'm new here and have been having this problem with my pc since the phone updated to jellybean ( i'm not very IT but i know that much ) my pc had windows XP and was told that it wouldnt connect, i even phoned up help lines and someone even said that i would have to pay ?60 to get the problem sorted

so i got round it as i had a netbook and had windows 7 on there, plugged it in, came up with the little window to open the files which i did, saved them to my netbook and then uploaded photos to usb stick and then loaded usb stick to my pc, a very long winded way of doing it but nothing else worked

however today i've come to upload some photos and guess what

the netbook doesnt recognise the device ARRGGGHH

things i've tried

keeping everything plugged in restarted phone and netbook, - fail
downloaded htc sync manageer - fail ( comes up with message that it doesnt recognise my device )
pulled down the menu and done the internet pass through that was suggested here - fail

i'm now really at a loss, i have a phone with 2000 photos on it ( yes i take alot ) which i cannot now upload

Help!!!

Hmummy

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
i tried various things people have suggested and and it works for a bit and then midway between uploading suddenly it stops and says this device does not recognise the htc and stops uploading and then i go back to square one

any ideas?

ineedhelpsos

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I know this thread is old, but I barely updated my phone a couple of months ago. If I had known about this issue I wouldn't have updated.
I've tried everything listed here and still no luck.
This is what I get now...

unable to sync. please reconnect your device [30003]

MB3323

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here (recent upgrade to 4.3) and Sync Manager refuses to see the phone. I have the HTC One. I've been around the horn with HTC and T-mobile - reinstalled Sync from HTC and made sure new driver was installed. Turns out my particular problem was the Debugging USB function on the phone. This was always set as 'enabled'. However each time I plugged the phone in I'd get a pop-up asking if I wanted to run and I tried cancel with no success. When I checked off 'OK' and 'always run from this device' in addition to making sure 'HTC Sync Manager' in Mobile Network Sharing was checked off I got into Sync Manager consistenly every time and was able to sync to Outlook.

I think there are a lot of things going on from what I've been reading. Just know that this resolved my particular issue.

Vishal Behera

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Since I upgraded to Jelly Bean, I can no longer connect to my PC. Previously the phone screen would ask me to select either Charging or Hard Drive when I connected the USB cable, I no longer get this and a message pops up on my PC screen saying;

Cannot install this hardware
There was a problem installing this hardware
HTC MTP Device
An error occured during the installation of this device
The required section was not found in the INF

So, can anyone give me a clue as to what is going wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia