HTC to Make the Pixel Phone..anyone else worried?

MarcheLive

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Here's why. Before my awesome Nexus 6P I had the HTC One. I had the phone a year then the microphone went out. I could only make calls using speaker phone. That sucked major. I moved to Nexus with the 6P and was so overjoyed that I swore never to leave the Nexus brand. Now Nexus will be rebranded as Pixel and built by HTC. Damn. I swore never to buy another HTC. That's just the type of consumer I am. A bad experience turns me off for good. Sure I could hold on to my awesome 6P but it was stolen/lost a couple weeks ago. In the meantime I had to dig my HTC out of the junk drawer. Now here's my dilemma. I immediately started to purchase a new 6P when I heard about the Pixel. I'd like new hardware but it's HTC. Also the reviews of the HTC 10 (cousin to the Pixel?) don't give me much hope. I figured I could wait for Pixel to launch and hope the prices drop on the 6P. With my luck, I'd buy the 6P and come to find the Pixel is totally awesome. Thoughts?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not worried. In general, I believe HTC makes quality handsets. Its just that their delivery and pricing structure has forced them into the background. I owned plenty of HTC handsets before the M7 (EVO, Inspire, One X, and One X+). What Google is doing right now is unprecedented. They're getting ready to enter the ring with Apple and Samsung.

HTC hardware design is solid and on point IMO. Google's job is to deliver the experience and competitive pricing that makes the average consumer think twice about Apple or Samsung.

I pre-ordered the Moto Z play yesterday just in case I don't decide on the Pixel Oct. 4th. I'm just hoping the price is right.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Worried? No. Just disinterested. The Pixel phones are bound to produce a lot of fanfare and fanboy gushing on release, but I'm doubtful that the phones themselves will live up to the hype--in part because they are HTC-made phones.

If your HTC One is still working well enough, just wait til November, after the reviews of the Pixels have rolled out and after the first wave of forum complaints about the phones have rolled in and after the asking price has either been carved in stone or sweetened with carrier deal add-ons, like a free Daydream headset.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at the Pixel( sailfish), going to wait and see all the info about after Oct 4th.
I haven't had an HTC in awhile but looking forward to checking it out more, from what I have read though it sounds good to me
If for some reason I do not get,
There really is nothing else out there currently that interests me.

MarcheLive

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I think I'm gonna stick it out with my crappy HTC and see how the Pixel pans out. My wife's phone is end-of-life so I could possible buy both and give her the one I like least. She could care less about the specs. If it plays Candy Crush she's good :D

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried at all. The HTC phones as of late (m7-10) have all been solid devices that have received pretty good praises. Plus with Google's oversight and input, I'm sure they'll be even better than normal.

Just because they haven't sold well, for a multitude of reasons, doesn't mean that their build quality and performance is lacking.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
HTC makes great devices. The One series are solidly built and the 10 showed they can also deliver a good camera.

I'm more worried about Google and their incredibly simplistic approach to design. The 6P was nice, but way too large (physically, not screen size) of a device and the 6 before it was also large. I'm sure these OEM's making the devices can make them less wide and tall, which makes me question whether that's a Google decision.

Google devices are also way too bare bones. It's just stock Android with little to no extras in comparison to a Galaxy or something similarly priced. If rumors are true that these will be more pricey they better be more than just stock Android phones.

MarcheLive

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
My M7 was great until it blew the speaker. I had it repaired and later the mic went out. I still have the phone for backup but must use the speaker to make a call. After that I gave up on HTC.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I think the two first Pixel branded devices (Chromebook and C) should provide some comfort. Google is likely deciding everything that will be inside the phone, which is really what matters in the long run.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes I am a little bit worried about it.

I had the One and the m8 and went to a Windows phone (1520) and loved having a big screen. I also saw that HTC has never lived up to the hype for their software or even bothered releasing their higher spec phones in the US.. There were enough issues with them that I didn't want to deal with them again.

Now that I have a 2016 6p I'm not wanting to go back to them and I don't feel any desire to downgrade to a ugly phone that may or may not even be able to be rooted.

chin chen

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
The Htc 10 is a very good phone, only topped by the Galaxy S7 in 2016 and that kills the sales. Htc are not good at marketing and price setting.

The build quality is outstanding. The software is fantastic (doesnt matter much for the Pixel). Camera is very good. Audio is very good. Calls are very good. All in all, it is a pretty damn good device.

You should be worried about the display (if IPS and not Amoled, i expect Amoled though) and possibly the speakers not being loud enough. That are the only faults i can find.
Everything else is superb.

Since Google will be checking on everything closely, i expect a perfect device hardware wise for their most expensive phone.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned an HTC device, but as a "tech junkie", and always reading up on high tech products, they do have an impeccable reputation for quality high end devices. If they had been able to invest more towards advertising, i feel that they would still be in the top 4 manufacturers of phones. And when you consider that Google is the main designer of their pixel line, they should be good. But, as with anything else, time will tell.

griff7774

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've never owned an HTC device, but as a "tech junkie", and always reading up on high tech products, they do have an impeccable reputation for quality high end devices. If they had been able to invest more towards advertising, i feel that they would still be in the top 4 manufacturers of phones. And when you consider that Google is the main designer of their pixel line, they should be good. But, as with anything else, time will tell.

My thoughts exactly.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Not worried, HTC is good at hardware.
Last HTC device I had was the Sensation... Obviously a long time ago (technology wise).

None the less, I had no issues with the hardware... nor with the Evo 4G I had before that. Looking forward to October 4th to see what rumors are true and what HTC has come up with this time around.

booster_gold

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
it would be nice if Google throws their weight around and can get Verizon to nix the blood on the smaller Pixel if rumors are true that Verizon is a going to sell that model.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
yes im worried cuz htc has always made phone that put out Massive doses of radiation :(
If your truly worried about this, the FCC and many other outlets offer SAR and radiation levels for phones with just a little bit of Google hunting.

I'd wait until the phone is "officially" released, of course, but you can look up this information before making a purchasing decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadsak