I am impressed with the LG G6

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Are you still happy with your G6?

Returning the S8 and picking up the G6 was a great decision. On ATT, I got it at 1/2 the price of the S8. So in my mind, the difference in price did not equate to the features Id most likely take advantage of on the S8.

Those features were Iris scan, selective focus mode, and Samsung Pay

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Still mostly happy with mine. I usually switch phones every 2 or 3 months and I've promised my wife I'm going to try and see out the full 12 months on this one. It's a great all rounder and covers most bases I demand in a phone - always on display, double tap to wake, great camera/s, water resistance and a good battery. The only problem for me is this phone came out early in the year and there's gonna be a hell of a lot of temptation in the coming months with the Note 8, iPhone 7s/8 etc etc and they will all have dual cameras too which I'm a sucker for
I'm right there with you. I have switched about once a year, but promised the wife i would keep this for the next two years. Lofty goal, just hope it doesn't make me a liar!

Honestly though, the more i have switched, the more I realize just how close every phone is. I think this really could be the first phone that holds the curious bug at bay when the new phones come out. The one that's going to be the first test is when the Moto Z Force is going to be released unlocked to all carriers.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

I finally pulled the trigger and got the G6. Verizon has a great deal that if you put it on a payment plan they take off $200 dropping the price to $480. I dont like to do payment plans so i plan on paying it off ASAP.
Ive only had it since last night and so far so good! I was worried about the battery since i own an iPhone 7 plus and the S8+ so we will see. I will be selling my S8+ its a little to big for me the LG is more compact.
I am trying to get used to the always on display since ive never used it before not even on my S8+ since i had the notification light. Im hoping it doesnt drain the battery on the G6.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I finally pulled the trigger and got the G6. Verizon has a great deal that if you put it on a payment plan they take off $200 dropping the price to $480. I dont like to do payment plans so i plan on paying it off ASAP.
Ive only had it since last night and so far so good! I was worried about the battery since i own an iPhone 7 plus and the S8+ so we will see. I will be selling my S8+ its a little to big for me the LG is more compact.
I am trying to get used to the always on display since ive never used it before not even on my S8+ since i had the notification light. Im hoping it doesnt drain the battery on the G6.
AOD has very minimal impact on battery. Mines always active and I get 6 1/2 hours SOT consistently. The other day I had 4 hours with 54% left. The battery on the G6 has been incredible.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

I saw there was a setting for a brighter always on display, do you use that? It so dim otherwise. Just afraid if i choose the brighter option that will impact the battery.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I saw there was a setting for a brighter always on display, do you use that? It so dim otherwise. Just afraid if i choose the brighter option that will impact the battery.
I leave it on default. It is dim but that's never bothered me. I'm sure brighter will impact battery a bit more but not sure how much.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

Yes! I had it turned off for the first day, but decided to try it.. the lack of notification light when i have my phone on silent made me want to try the AOD.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Yes! I had it turned off for the first day, but decided to try it.. the lack of notification light when i have my phone on silent made me want to try the AOD.
Another thing, if you lay the phone face first it'll turn the always on display off for as long as it's laying down on the table or wherever

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Did they do an instant discount in store or online for the 200? I would much rather have this than do bill credits like att did. In otherwords, I need to have the device for 2 years to reap the benefits of the discount.

I did learn that after 1 year, I can get into a new next agreement if I choose so, because 50% will be paid off.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well...now that I finally have a working copy in my wife's hands... :) First had a junk battery.. second had a junk power button. This one, so far, is juuuust right.

I gotta say though, I'm rather impressed with the thing. I'm still on my 6P and waiting for the Pixel 2 to come, but I will be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted to get a G6 for myself. It's an excellent total package.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

Its an instant discount! As soon as he put it on a payment plan the balance owed went form $672 down to $480. No bill credits!

Lord Rinzler

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I am not. I, like many others across the web (and some non-web silent ones) have experienced spider cracking of the camera glass for no apparent reason...didn't drop the phone...nothing else in the pocket...etc.

There seems to be a quality control issue with the camera glass that LG and Tmobile refuse to accept, and are putting the responsibility on the customer to pay for. This is incredibly, enormously, and exceedingly unfair.

Between both companies blaming us, and less than smart forum posters on the internet who don't understand what quality control is (some are bad, some are good...you probably got a good one...so chill)...I am looking to jump to another flagship sometime soon. Preferably one with a wide angle camera.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I am not. I, like many others across the web (and some non-web silent ones) have experienced spider cracking of the camera glass for no apparent reason...didn't drop the phone...nothing else in the pocket...etc.

There seems to be a quality control issue with the camera glass that LG and Tmobile refuse to accept, and are putting the responsibility on the customer to pay for. This is incredibly, enormously, and exceedingly unfair.

Between both companies blaming us, and less than smart forum posters on the internet who don't understand what quality control is (some are bad, some are good...you probably got a good one...so chill)...I am looking to jump to another flagship sometime soon. Preferably one with a wide angle camera.
I've seen a couple of these reports and it really sucks it's happened. While unfortunate and aggravating, it's extremely uncommon and a reality of any mass produced item. I wouldn't say it's a QC issue as much as an isolated one that would be almost impossible to detect upon inspection.

If it were truly a QC issue, there would be thousands of consumers with this issue. Right now it seems to be a dozen or so. Also, the amount of scenarios that could lead to the camera glass cracking are very high and because one didn't immediately lead to a crack, doesn't mean they didn't weaken the glass allowing them to eventually crack.

Again, it sucks it happened to you and I hope someone steps up to handle the problem for you.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Still happy. Been using it a little over a week. Never have used an LG device (Moto X Pure here).

Very pleased I bought this over the S8 (Tmo).

I have the Moto X Pure, and am considering the G6... How was your transition? I love the extras that Moto (ugh.. now Lenovo) put into it. Twist for camera, chop for flashlight, etc. Do you miss any of those?

Lord Rinzler

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I've seen a couple of these reports and it really sucks it's happened. While unfortunate and aggravating, it's extremely uncommon and a reality of any mass produced item. I wouldn't say it's a QC issue as much as an isolated one that would be almost impossible to detect upon inspection.

If it were truly a QC issue, there would be thousands of consumers with this issue. Right now it seems to be a dozen or so. Also, the amount of scenarios that could lead to the camera glass cracking are very high and because one didn't immediately lead to a crack, doesn't mean they didn't weaken the glass allowing them to eventually crack.

Again, it sucks it happened to you and I hope someone steps up to handle the problem for you.

Thanks dude, but I am pulling eject as soon as the part comes out and I can replace it for myself.

But a couple of factors here that push me into thinking QC...

- Only a few have reported it via internet (as with most issues affecting mankind. There are undoubtedly more out there not on the web....I know a couple more.

- The phone is still new...it has not been exactly widely distributed yet relative to the smart phone population.

- The LG G5 had this same issue that eventually Tmobile and LG had no choice to officially accept as a "common problem"

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Well...now that I finally have a working copy in my wife's hands... :) First had a junk battery.. second had a junk power button. This one, so far, is juuuust right.

I gotta say though, I'm rather impressed with the thing. I'm still on my 6P and waiting for the Pixel 2 to come, but I will be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted to get a G6 for myself. It's an excellent total package.

Same boat my friend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej