I am struggling to make a final decision

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I got the S8+ on Sprint almost two weeks ago. So far, I really like the size of the display, the battery life and how efficient this phone is. It hasn't let me down. However, after playing with my girlfriend's S8, I have really come to like the size of the smaller phone. My last chances to exchange all end on Friday, and I can't decide whether or not I want the smaller phone. One-handed usability is very nice. Sometimes I feel myself getting a little anxious or nervous when I have to do hand-gymnastics to reach the top of the screen. Don't get me wrong, my hands are just normal- I just don't want to drop the phone and break it. The thought of doing that for two years makes me feel pressured to only have two weeks to decide :p
My concern of switching would be the battery life. How is the battery life for you all who use the smaller S8?
Is the battery life worth the risk of dropping a pretty big phone to you?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Keep the +. I have the plus and my wife has the S8. I hear you, when I use her phone it does feel nice in the hand but the bigger screen and battery are worth it for me. Since there are such small bezels, the plus feels pretty comfortable on the hand.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
A soft shell case makes holding it easier as well as offering some protection from accidents.

Before I bought my S8+ I bought cases for both - and for Note 8 - to get some idea of size, don't have a store within 70 miles.

Being able to show more may mean less scrolling or easier to read.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the S8 and love the way it fits in my hand so comfortably. Having said that... I regret not getting the S8+. Would love the bigger screen.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Install a custom launcher that supports custom swipe gestures like Nova and set swipe down to expand notifications. This will be your most common one hand gesture that gets tricky when trying to reach the top of the screen. With that solved, one hand gymnastics should be very minimal.

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
To me, big phones are great until the new wears off then it stinks to have to use 2 hands. Bigger battery sounds good but the 3000 mAh battery on the s8 does me well. 500 more mAh wouldn't change my charging really. Really like one handing it.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I got the S8+ on Sprint almost two weeks ago. So far, I really like the size of the display, the battery life and how efficient this phone is. It hasn't let me down. However, after playing with my girlfriend's S8, I have really come to like the size of the smaller phone. My last chances to exchange all end on Friday, and I can't decide whether or not I want the smaller phone. One-handed usability is very nice. Sometimes I feel myself getting a little anxious or nervous when I have to do hand-gymnastics to reach the top of the screen. Don't get me wrong, my hands are just normal- I just don't want to drop the phone and break it. The thought of doing that for two years makes me feel pressured to only have two weeks to decide :p
My concern of switching would be the battery life. How is the battery life for you all who use the smaller S8?
Is the battery life worth the risk of dropping a pretty big phone to you?

If the size and the fear of dropping the phone is what matters to you, then switch to the S8. My co-worker has an S8 and he gets great battery life.

It's a win-win for you.

My two cents.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If you take back the 8 plus and get the regular 8 does the 14 day return thing reset (I've never done it)? If so try out regular 8 . If you don't like it return it.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
If you are really only concerned about dropping the phone, your solution is to get a rugged case like OtterBox.

I on the other hand cannot stand carrying around a phablet. So the S8 is no question the right fit for me. It is really just a matter of personal preference. If you enjoy the large screen and long battery life, while not bothered by having to carry a huge phone, I'd say keep the plus.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If you are really only concerned about dropping the phone, your solution is to get a rugged case like OtterBox.

I on the other hand cannot stand carrying around a phablet. So the S8 is no question the right fit for me. It is really just a matter of personal preference. If you enjoy the large screen and long battery life, while not bothered by having to carry a huge phone, I'd say keep the plus.

I am unbelievably torn 😂

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
There's a one handed mode in the settings you can have a gesture activate when needed. Works even when using a different launcher.

StephaneM60

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Battery life on my S8 is Ok (that is I get the exact same experience than with any other phone I owned so far, and I have everything enabled on it)
My advice would be to go with the S8, and if you want a bigger phone, go for the Note 8 :D.

Note : I find the S8 already big enough for easy handling, and due to the size and the nature of the phone, it's the first time in my life that I put a case on my phone by fear of letting it fall. If you are afraid of breaking your phone, use a case, and be aware that the case can make the phone easier to handle (simple bumper) case or harder to handle (like the clear view stand cover)

Karong

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I had the same decision to make. I played with both and ended up with the smaller S8. Its the perfect size, I still get relatively big screen in a small one handed size. Best of both worlds. Yes the battery on the Plus is larger but it also has to power a larger screen so the battery life difference wont be that significant between the 2. Check some battery life comparisons on Youtube the Plus gets maybe 30-45 minutes more life than the smaller version. Not really worth it to me.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the same decision to make. I played with both and ended up with the smaller S8. Its the perfect size, I still get relatively big screen in a small one handed size. Best of both worlds. Yes the battery on the Plus is larger but it also has to power a larger screen so the battery life difference wont be that significant between the 2. Check some battery life comparisons on Youtube the Plus gets maybe 30-45 minutes more life than the smaller version. Not really worth it to me.

What is your average day of battery life like?

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, unfortunately today was my last chance to exchange the phone and I missed my chance. I was looking forward to using the smaller device, but oh well. Maybe I'll find myself a smaller case or use a skin.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the smaller S8 and battery life is acceptable, BUT not as good as my iPhone 7 Plus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86