I believe that my Moto Z4 has been hacked

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I called my credit card company to get my account balance. All seemed normal until it asked me to provide the last four digits of the credit card but it wanted to insert a dash which I didn't enter. So I hung up and called back in and things worked normally. However I noticed on my phone 'recents' log that immediately after the first call my phone had made a call to Russia... So obviously the phone is hacked. What's my next step? Can I just return the phone as it's a replacement under warranty? Thx

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It could be related to some app you installed. Shady apps can include malware that allows it to make calls or texts that can be charged to your bill. Do you install all of your apps from the Play Store, or have you installed any apps from other sources?

For now, the safest thing may be to do a factory reset, and then don't restore from a backup, and don't automatically reinstall any previous apps. In addition, take this opportunity to change the passwords of all of your sensitive accounts (starting with your Google account, then your bank and credit card accounts), and make sure you have 2-factor authentication turned on wherever possible.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OllieFallon10