I guess I love restocking fees

ericinaz

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So I normally do not post but I thought I'd share my experience over the last few weeks. A little backstory, I own the pixel XL, pixel 2XL, S9 and note 8 so I'm not necessarily in one camp for the other. I've had a pixel 3XL since the release date and contemplated going to the S10 plus at release. I guess in my mind I wanted bigger and better and listened to the hype machine. So for a few weeks I struggled with the decision and then two weeks ago I bought one from Verizon store. Well I ended up returning it two days later and paying the restocking fee and going back to the pixel 3 XL. and then because I hadn't learned from that experience, last week I ordered a S10+ from Samsung with the trade-in deal. Got it on Monday and shocker it's in a box ready to go back to Samsung today. I'm not sure if I'm over critical but I still prefer the pixel 3XL. Yes I know it has a smaller battery, lot less RAM and the mother of all notches... But.. I just keep fighting myself going back to the "experience" that is a pixel device. There's something to be said about minimalistic design and user interface. While Samsung's new UI has a greatly improved for the touch wiz days, I sometimes still feel that it's more of a burden to flow through then stock. Please don't get me wrong The S10+ is a beast and a great phone. Coming from any other phone I probably would have been extremely happy and kept it. In the end I just found myself trying to find apps and launchers to mimic my pixel experience. Maybe I didn't give the S10+ enough time in hand to truly appreciate what Samsung has done. I guess I'm kind of looking for advice from all of you as to what your experience has been if you've come from a pixel phone to this phone and if you regret or are glad you made the jump. Thanks

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
There is no such thing as "stock Android". It's a myth, propagated by marketing.

I think you could have adapted; it's not a better or worse situation, it's just different. You've adapted all your life on technology, as things change. I'm positive you didn't get your S10+ enough of a chance. But that's water under the bridge.

Samsung phone plus Samsung watch is a nice experience.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm returning mine today as well. I love the s10+, but too many bugs for me to use on a daily basis. I'm going back to the pixel 2xl. I like the smoothness of what Google did with the pixel phones. Plus the camera is better in my opinion.
So I normally do not post but I thought I'd share my experience over the last few weeks. A little backstory, I own the pixel XL, pixel 2XL, S9 and note 8 so I'm not necessarily in one camp for the other. I've had a pixel 3XL since the release date and contemplated going to the S10 plus at release. I guess in my mind I wanted bigger and better and listened to the hype machine. So for a few weeks I struggled with the decision and then two weeks ago I bought one from Verizon store. Well I ended up returning it two days later and paying the restocking fee and going back to the pixel 3 XL. and then because I hadn't learned from that experience, last week I ordered a S10+ from Samsung with the trade-in deal. Got it on Monday and shocker it's in a box ready to go back to Samsung today. I'm not sure if I'm over critical but I still prefer the pixel 3XL. Yes I know it has a smaller battery, lot less RAM and the mother of all notches... But.. I just keep fighting myself going back to the "experience" that is a pixel device. There's something to be said about minimalistic design and user interface. While Samsung's new UI has a greatly improved for the touch wiz days, I sometimes still feel that it's more of a burden to flow through then stock. Please don't get me wrong The S10+ is a beast and a great phone. Coming from any other phone I probably would have been extremely happy and kept it. In the end I just found myself trying to find apps and launchers to mimic my pixel experience. Maybe I didn't give the S10+ enough time in hand to truly appreciate what Samsung has done. I guess I'm kind of looking for advice from all of you as to what your experience has been if you've come from a pixel phone to this phone and if you regret or are glad you made the jump. Thanks

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I still own my pixel 2xl,3xl love them both I always said if iPhone would make a andriod phone it be a pixel, sometimes I want more options then what the pixel provides and that where Samsung comes in, if I want to change the resolution it will allow me few options and if I want more power saving modes it does that also. The s10 gives me so many options I dont even have to download a 3rd party launcher to get what I need ,from theme stores to having both Google and Samsung apps for different purpose. It's a tough call but that's why I own so many devices lol ,guess you need to find what fits you best .

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm returning mine mine too, well exchanging it for a iPhone XR for my daughter since she's was on Honor Roll this entire school year.

I'm going back to the iPhone XS. I tried to like my S10+ which I did. But the wifi connectivity issues along with the BT issues with the Galaxy Buds. Wifi goes in and out for no apparent reason. My galaxy Buds is distorted at times, as if I'm out of range.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
There is no such thing as "stock Android". It's a myth, propagated by marketing.

I think you could have adapted; it's not a better or worse situation, it's just different. You've adapted all your life on technology, as things change. I'm positive you didn't get your S10+ enough of a chance. But that's water under the bridge.

Been there, got tired of how bland Tizen was. So glad to be back on WearOs.

And yes, you can adapt, but it does not mean that you should. I could probably adapt to iOs. My mind recoils from that level of limited linear interaction, so it would be a begrudgingly unpleasant adaptation, but it would be possible.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I bought one of the Pixel phones, don't recall which one and took it back the next day. I couldn't believe Pixel wouldn't even allow to move the navigation buttons to my liking.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
And yes, you can adapt, but it does not mean that you should.

You sound like my 92 year old father, when Google changes GMail into something unfathomable for no reason at all.

And that's an allegory for the world. Things change, and no amount of "BUT I DON'T WANNA!" will change that.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Do what works for you. It doesn't make sense to keep something you aren't fully pleased with. It's different to really like something but dislike this one small thing versus kinda liking something and having issues with what you don't like.

I had the Pixel and really liked it (enough to keep returning to it, lol), and I can get how you feel about the experience. It's nice. For me though, the lack of a true silent mode without going into DnD is something that really annoyed me greatly. So using a Samsung phone with a true silent mode is like fresh air. That was my thing and it sounds like you have yours too, which is fine.

heatherburks

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I still own my pixel 2xl,3xl love them both I always said if iPhone would make a andriod phone it be a pixel, sometimes I want more options then what the pixel provides and that where Samsung comes in, if I want to change the resolution it will allow me few options and if I want more power saving modes it does that also. The s10 gives me so many options I dont even have to download a 3rd party launcher to get what I need ,from theme stores to having both Google and Samsung apps for different purpose. It's a tough call but that's why I own so many devices lol ,guess you need to find what fits you best .

I thought it was just me I always swore the pixel was just an android iPhone.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm over critical but I still prefer the pixel 3XL. Yes I know it has a smaller battery, lot less RAM and the mother of all notches... But.. I just keep fighting myself going back to the "experience" that is a pixel device.

It's no shocker to me. As a 2XL driver for a few months now, and also owning Apple and Samsung devices, the Pixel is hands down, yes hands down the best experience for ME and it's a year old.

When I look at the S10 series and Apple devices today I'm left with that "i'm full" feeling after a good meal. Couldn't touch another byte.

The current offerings of the top 2 are dreadfully expensive for a regurgitated experience.

I don't even go into an Apple store these days and that is highly unusual behavior for me according to my wife......:)

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the 10+, 10e, Xr and Pixel 3XL right now.
The first one to go might be the 10+ for the single reason that is the Ultrasonic FPS. Otherwise it is a beast of a device.
The Pixel 3XL is mainly for running the Android Q Beta and the camera.
The Xr is a work phone although I am contemplating getting a work issue iPhone 8 and selling it to recover my $$.
The 10e is slowly becoming my favorite device.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Went from the McLaren OnePlus 6T to the regular S10 in Prism White. I mention this because it's a near stock experience. I have very few complaints about the McLaren... camera was average and audio recording quality sucked. Speakers were kinda meh too. But I enjoyed the experience.

Haven't looked back since getting this beauty. I'll take the S10 over any device currently out, 10/10 times. And I'm no Samsung fanboy... I've owned Samsungs, OnePluses, Sony Xperias, Nokia Lumias, Nokia Android devices, have an iPhone X for work, the list goes on.

It's a good problem to have, Pixel 3XL vs. S10 Plus. Hard to go wrong with either but considering the things I value in my devices, the S10 Plus would be a no-brainer just between those two.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Well Google phones started out as bare bones Android as you could get and they have matured a little. It's still a lot less frills than most other devices. I have the 3XL and the S10+ and it feels to me like they have both headed towards the middle with Pixel still closer to stock Android.
It's sometimes hard switching phones because I forget which one I'm using and the gestures throw me off. Unlike like when I use my iPhone and know where I am.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Went from the McLaren OnePlus 6T to the regular S10 in Prism White. I mention this because it's a near stock experience. I have very few complaints about the McLaren... camera was average and audio recording quality sucked. Speakers were kinda meh too. But I enjoyed the experience.

Haven't looked back since getting this beauty. I'll take the S10 over any device currently out, 10/10 times. And I'm no Samsung fanboy... I've owned Samsungs, OnePluses, Sony Xperias, Nokia Lumias, Nokia Android devices, have an iPhone X for work, the list goes on.

It's a good problem to have, Pixel 3XL vs. S10 Plus. Hard to go wrong with either but considering the things I value in my devices, the S10 Plus would be a no-brainer just between those two.

Hey what's up man , nice to see you around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kazank