I have a cheap Chinese unbranded tablet that's reading the wrong OS, how do I install a working one?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

OK, so I literally just bought this new tablet, and it says it has a a 10 core 2.0 GHZ processor, 8gb ram, and 128 gb Rom in it. Now I've confirmed it does have the right rom reading, as I have installed numerous large apps on it before I did a system restore, and it didn't give me the "you're running out of space" warning, and the little bar that shows how much space you have used seemed to be displaying according to an actual 128 GB hard drive, HOWEVER....it also says it is running android 8.0, yet when I installed Project Treble on it, it tells me I am running an older version than even 7.0 and not only does it not support Treble, but it doesn't support the seamless system updates either. So...How can I get a PROPER version of android installed on this tablet? I have googled until my fingers felt like they are going to fall off, and can't seem to find any answers for this. There has to be a way to do like a completely fresh install of ANY android version at this point that will actually work on this....isn't there? I mean, I honestly don't care which version I get, I just want one that doesn't read half the messages in Chinese, or read a bunch of it's system apps as harmful apps. Just an actual working version of android would be great, thanks in advance if you are able to help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only way of getting any version of Android for a particular device is to get it from the manufacturer. Flashing a ROM not made for that device can do anything from what you're seeing to hard-bricking it (making it unfixable).

Android isn't like iOS - every phone gets the same ROM. With Android, every phone gets the version of AOSP it needs (for instance, you can't flash Android 10 to a 2010 phone - there's not enough storage space) but the HAL (the hardware interface layer) is different for every device! So flashing a ROM with the HAL for another device doesn't work.

And with a cheap Chinese device, your odds or flapping your arms all the way to Mars are better than your odds of getting a ROM image from the manufacturer.

There has to be a way to do like a completely fresh install of ANY android version at this point that will actually work on this....isn't there?
No, there actually isn't - unless you can write the HAL yourself and flash it with whatever version of AOSP the tablet originally had.