I miss the Pixel!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I was a Windows Phone user before. From 2013 to 2015 I was immersed in the Microsoft universe. Before that I always thought Android was ugly with its neon blue or green tones. But when Google came up with material design and Lollipop, I fell in love with its ecosystem and never looked back.

In 2015 I got the Galaxy S4. I realized then how much I preferred stock Android (the S4 at the time still had that ugly green tone everywhere). I tried to use it with custom ROMs that would make it be more like stock but nothing really worked correctly. Then I got the Moto X Play and it was great. Plus, at the time, their software updates were quite quick to arrive. I remember getting Marshmallow right before Christmas.

I kept the X Play until last year. Moto was now owned by Lenovo and updates were not coming in as quick (the X Play got Nougat in October 2017 and the Z2 Play still doesn't have Oreo 6 months after its release) and Samsung was getting better at software. So last year I went through some (mobile phone) soul searching. I had 4 different phones during the year!

After my X Play, I got the S7 which was a phone I enjoyed quite a bit. But alas I was missing that stock Android experience. So 4 months after, I sold the S7 and got a new contract with the Pixel. Amazing. Just amazing.

In the meantime the S8 came out and of course that whole bezel-less experience was enticing to say the least. Plus I kind of got influenced by all these reviews talking about all the S8's features. Honestly, when I saw the S8 the first time, it did nothing for me. But after a while, looking at my small 5 inch screen, I decided to ditch it for the S8. Again it was a great phone and I loved it. So much that I thought my love for stock Android had vanished. I thought that Samsung actually succeeded in making a skin that was good enough... I even tried to use Samsung apps like the calendar. But after a while I started missing stock Android again.

When I got the Pixel, I had originally set out to get the Z2 Play. On launch day I was at the store, phone-less as I had sold my S7 to clear my old contract and get a new contract, but the only company in Quebec that had it didn't have it in stock. They were supposed to come in soon but they didn't know when. I was pretty bummed out and needed a phone (I was self employed). So I got the Pixel. Not a big sacrifice I must say.

So recently I sold my S8 and got the Z2 Play as I felt it was kind of a missed opportunity. Suprisingly good for a mid-ranger. My only complaints are the camera quality, the screen resolution (especially coming from a Samsung phone, it almost seemed blurry) and... updates... I look at the people with the Pixel and Pixel 2 on Oreo 8.1 and I'm waiting for Lenovo to release 8.0 some day maybe... and I know soon I'll feel like I'm missing out with Android P.

So... I miss my Pixel. I wouldn't go back with the Pixel this time though, I would get the Pixel XL. Not the Pixel 2 XL which I don't trust given all the issues it had, the lack of headphone jack and its unjustified price tag. I'd get the first generation Pixel XL with the headphone jack and regular updates.

Unfortunately I can't switch back for the moment. So I have to use my Nougat phone. Not the end of the world of course (first world problems you know?).

But my advice to ANY stock Android fan: stick with the Pixel line if you can afford it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you are missing your Pixel! But, take heart: perhaps when you are ready to upgrade, the Pixel 3 will be out and you will want to give it a spin!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry you are missing your Pixel! But, take heart: perhaps when you are ready to upgrade, the Pixel 3 will be out and you will want to give it a spin!

That's the approach I'm taking right now. Though if the Pixel 3 follows the same path as the Pixel 2 price wise I won't be getting it. In just don't have that kind of money. The first generation was cheaper at launch of I remember correctly but the thing here is that I don't know if I'd be willing to pay for the 2 XL when it becomes cheaper given its past issues. Chances are they'll all be solved by then though. If that's the case, the Pixel 2 XL will probably be my next phone. Until then I'm "stuck" with the Z2 Play. It's not the end of the world as I said earlier as it's still a bloody great phone if not for the lack of updates.

I just thought I'd share my experience in case some other people were in a similar situation.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid