I preordered the Epic at R.S., will they

I.R.R.V.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I never had a google account, i just opened one but can't figure out how to get my phone to sync up with it. Any tips? Thanks

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
be able to help me import my contacts from my Palm Pre to it? Is there a easy way I can do it myself? thanks

you can most likely sunc your contacts with gmail contacts. Right before you go into R.S. hit sync contact on your Pre and you should be good to go when you enter ya gamail account info on the epic

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I never had a google account, i just opened one but can't figure out how to get my phone to sync up with it. Any tips? Thanks

They should have created a gmail account when you purchased the phone. Any way
1. go into your contact
2. in the upper left corner hit the contacts tab which brings a drop down sreen
3.click preferences & accounts
4. if you already have a gmail account scrool to the bottom and hit add an account
5. enter ya gmail info and after that all ya contacts will be synced with ya gmail and once ya enter ya gmail info on epic it should synce the same way

I.R.R.V.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
ok, I've done that is there any way to go into the account on my computer and see the contacts? cause i've not been able to

anon(47596)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Go to gmail.com. On your main inbox screen there will be a "contacts" link or button in the upper left corner that will take you to your contacts.

I.R.R.V.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
ok thanks, I know i may sound like an idiot asking these questions and sorry if i do, i just checked and it saved my "test Contact" but did not save any of my existing ones. How can i work around that?

anon(47596)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
In the contacts app, go to the "Preferences & Accounts" item. Set "Google" as your default account. When you add contacts they will save/sync with Google.

With Palm's "Synergy" you basically have multiple contact lists at once (Palm, Google, Facebook, etc.). If up to this point you only have Palm contacts (that you entered directly into the Pre), I'm not sure how you can preserve those when you switch phones. Perhaps Sprint or R.S. can do it. As previously pointed out, if your contacts are on Google already, it's no problem as the Epic will just sync with those contacts.

Hope that helps.

I.R.R.V.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I just emailed my contacts to myself from phone then went online downloaded and imported to the google contact list.......worked well, thanks for all the input guys and gals

kamjam26

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar question. My contacts are stored on my computer through blackberry desktop. Is there a way to transfer that info to my new android device when it comes?

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar question. My contacts are stored on my computer through blackberry desktop. Is there a way to transfer that info to my new android device when it comes?

I believe BB Desktop has a way of exporting in a CSV format. If you can you could then import that CSV file created by BB Desktop into Gmail

MissG#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

When I switched from my BB to a Pre, I downloaded the Google Sync app on my BB, which uploaded all my contacts from my bb to a Google account (I only got gmail for this purpose), and then I used my Google account to transfer my contacts to my Pre. & I should be able to do the same thing from my Pre to this phone once I get it.

tricex2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
OP

I think the best way to do it would be to

1. Go to contacts on your Pre
2. Tap contacts in the top left hand corner
3. Tap send all via email (The Pre will prepare an email with a Vcard of all your contacts)
4. Email the Vcard to your gmail account and save the vcard on your PC
5.Go to contacts in gmail and click More Actions
6. Click IMPORT
7. Browse to where you saved the Vcard and hit enter.

Voila!! All your contacts are now saved to your gmail account and waiting for you to sync with your new Epic. Just one of the things that is making me sad to leave my PRE :( Hope this helps

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
OP

I think the best way to do it would be to

1. Go to contacts on your Pre
2. Tap contacts in the top left hand corner
3. Tap send all via email (The Pre will prepare an email with a Vcard of all your contacts)
4. Email the Vcard to your gmail account and save the vcard on your PC
5.Go to contacts in gmail and click More Actions
6. Click IMPORT
7. Browse to where you saved the Vcard and hit enter.

Voila!! All your contacts are now saved to your gmail account and waiting for you to sync with your new Epic. Just one of the things that is making me sad to leave my PRE :( Hope this helps

why does this make you sad? they made it easy for you to ditch their OS.

duallydave

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pre and I tried this. I just created a new gmail account for it, which I tested by sending from another email. I see the message I sent both on my computer and on the Pre. When I tap contacts in the upper left hand corner there is no choice to send all via email, there is a choice to send all to Car Kit.

Do I need to do something else? I went into the contact preferences & accounts, there is the Palm Pre account and the gmail account, which I can sync and it says sync complete. The default account is Palm Pre.

I don't normally use my phone for email, maybe I'm leaving something out.

I see there is Palm Desktop to sync between phone and PC, maybe that will work.

Last edited:

tricex2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pre and I tried this. I just created a new gmail account for it, which I tested by sending from another email. I see the message I sent both on my computer and on the Pre. When I tap contacts in the upper left hand corner there is no choice to send all via email, there is a choice to send all to Car Kit.

Do I need to do something else? I went into the contact preferences & accounts, there is the Palm Pre account and the gmail account, which I can sync and it says sync complete. The default account is Palm Pre.

I don't normally use my phone for email, maybe I'm leaving something out.

I see there is Palm Desktop to sync between phone and PC, maybe that will work.

Sorry about the oversight, do you have preware installed on your Pre? If so you have to install the "send all contacts vial Email" patch then it will show up. If not it is pretty easy to install. I took for granted most Pre users have installed and patched their Pre.

duallydave

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Excellent - now it works - thank you! I do have Preware and WebOSQuickInstall but I did not have that patch installed. Since I have to remove and reinstall the patches each update (like this morning), I keep the patches to a minimum, I only have about 10 installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder